Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much food to give my staffie

• 02-06-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I've taken in a staffie as an emergency foster. She is about 2 years old and weighs 15kg. The previous owners didn't pay too much attention to what they fed her, but I want to make sure I give her the right amount for her weight. I was thinking about 250g of dried food split into 2 meals a day. Does that sound about right?
    Any advice appreciated. The poor thing is crying away in her crate right now with separation anxiety. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It depends what brand the food is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

500g a day sounds like a lot, that's pretty much how much my German Shepherd gets and he is over 35kg! What food are you planning on feeding her?

Where is her crate? If she is somewhere new, I would avoid leaving her in the crate alone if possible, have the crate in your room with you.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've never owned a staffie, but 15kg does sound as though she is quite underweight. If you want to put weight on her, the best thing is to divide her food up into smaller, but more often meals, so that her system can digest as much of the food as possible. I would suggest 4 feeds a day to start, or if you can't manage that, with work etc, try for 3, but divide her food up into those meals, don't overfeed her. If you look on the bag of food that you are using, and know roughly how much she should weigh, I would feed for that, rather than what she does actually weigh at the moment - if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pastelblue

VonVix wrote: »
    500g a day sounds like a lot, that's pretty much how much my German Shepherd gets and he is over 35kg! What food are you planning on feeding her?

Where is her crate? If she is somewhere new, I would avoid leaving her in the crate alone if possible, have the crate in your room with you.

Not 500g - 250g split into 2 meals of 125g each! They've given me some spurious brand of cheap food, but I'll probably pick up a bag of Royal Canin next time I'm in Pet Mania.

The crate is in the kitchen. It's too big for my room but I've given her an old jumper of mine to sleep with. She seems to have quietened down a bit now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The poor girl, well done for fostering her. Not sure if you've posted in API before, but photos are mandatory ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

pastelblue wrote: »
    Not 500g - 250g split into 2 meals of 125g each! They've given me some spurious brand of cheap food, but I'll probably pick up a bag of Royal Canin next time I'm in Pet Mania.

The crate is in the kitchen. It's too big for my room but I've given her an old jumper of mine to sleep with. She seems to have quietened down a bit now.

That's what I get for posting when I'm tired, they should take my keyboard off me after 10pm. :p

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pastelblue

muddypaws wrote: »
    The poor girl, well done for fostering her. Not sure if you've posted in API before, but photos are mandatory ;)

Boo. I can't post photos because I'm too new a user. No fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

pastelblue wrote: »

if you want to put a bit of weight on her if she's underweight, that sounds about right. But a lot depends on her height, build and metabolism too. A smaller, chunkier staff will get fat very fast, on 250g a day.

Whereas my staffy bitch is nearly 17" and 15kg but she only gets 200g in 1 meal per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Foods vary a fair bit in calories, I would go with what the bag says and reduce it a bit if it's too much for her. I used food-filled rubber toys to get them used to the crates, it really helped (kong, squirrel dude etc).

Good luck with her and fair play for fostering her! And please do post pictures!

Advertisement