Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised beds in shaded area?

Options
  • 02-06-2016 10:34pm

The north-facing side of our house is a dead space with not much direct sunlight. Could we put raised beds there or is direct light essential. If it is at all feasible, are there particular things we could grow?

We're not yet big gardeners as we've only recently bought a house but I'd love to grow some food/veg if possible.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

What about an apple tree? Would it grow high enough to get light without exceeding the house?
    I can't think of any fruit/veg that doesn't require direct sunlight but there are plenty of ornamental plants.

Thanks, I suppose sunlight is a fairly basic requirement! I'm not sure about an apple tree. It's a two-storey house so it would need to be a pretty tall tree.

Is there anything to be said for...a polytunnel?
    I'm a true amateur/novice so it's probably impossible.

It's not totally dark - the space is about 3 metres wide - it's just that, apart from a bit of morning sun, it just gets a bit of indirect light for much of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have read before that leafy veg can do OK in a bit of shade. Rhubarb might also be OK. Parsley and some other herbs like chives might also work. The book I was reading said that vegetables that are grown for a fruit are generally not the best without direct sun.

Thanks for the replies. Very useful. Rhubarb is a good one and I have read that herbs are also an option. Will let you know if we ever manage to produce anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I have Rhubarb in a very shaded area and it grows really well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement