Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Who wins the golden boot?

• 03-06-2016 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I always find this one of the interesting subplots of these football tournaments: who takes home the golden boot?

David Villa won it in '08, with Fernando Torres taking it in 2012, but who do you fancy to be top marskman in 2016? Here are Paddy Power's current top contenders:

C Ronaldo (Portugal) 13/2
    T Muller (Germany) 8/1
    A Griezmann (France) 9/1
    H Kane (England) 14/1
    R Lukaku (Belgium) 16/1
    A Morata (Spain) 16/1
    R Lewandowski (Poland) 16/1
    O Giroud (France) 16/1
    Nolito (Spain) 18/1
    M Gomez (Germany) 20/1
    A Aduriz (Spain) 20/1
    A Martial (France) 25/1
    D Sturridge (England) 33/1
    J Vardy (England) 33/1
    Z Ibrahimovic (Sweden) 33/1
    W Rooney (England) 33/1
    M Gotze (Germany) 33/1
    M Mandzukic (Croatia) 33/1
    E Hazard (Belgium) 33/1
    G Pelle (Italy) 40/1
    C Benteke (Belgium) 40/1
    K De Bruyne (Belgium) 40/1

Some selected others:

G Bale (Wales) 50/1
    M Rashford (England) 80/1
    S Long (Rep. of Ire) 100/1
    K Lafferty (N.I.) 175/1

I think I'm going to go for Ronaldo since Portugal's group games look like good value for him to bag a few early on.

What do you think? I may stick up a poll...

Who wins the golden boot? 88 votes

C. Ronaldo (Por) 13/2
    0%
    T. Muller (Ger) 8/1
    9%
    Mr.Nice Guypudzey101Hank ScorpioFather HernandezmassdebaterEssiendr.kenneth noisewaterBret Hart 8 votes
    A. Griezmann (Fra) 9/1
    28%
    bytejoe123applehunterJulezhomerjay2005Fuzzy_DunlopBlazerdfx-adaminhoShanotheslayerCorcs001Dolph StarbeamnewballspleaseMR NINEZemuppet3hn2givr7mx1scSkylineheadhuey1975Bobby BaccalaIncognitoMan 25 votes
    H. Kane (Eng) 14/1
    19%
    Kingp35UnearthlySkittlebraufranglanGavRedKingDantegreendomFerris_BuellerScorpion StingRoyal IrishLuckyGent88deadybaiAdamDAgent CoulsonHarry PalmrSheeeeitAndre 3000 17 votes
    R. Lukaku (Bel) 16/1
    4%
    davyccxtal191WesternZuludinorebel 4 votes
    A. Morata (Spa) 16/1
    1%
    Gavlor 1 vote
    R. Lewandowski (Pol) 16/1
    6%
    the whole year innMarkY91Cracklemartyos121gluedTexas Jack 6 votes
    O. Giroud (Fra) 16/1
    5%
    RikandTheMilkyPiratesugarmanmosstinjackwigan 5 votes
    Nolito (Spa) 18/1
    9%
    callaway92AidySevenfoldx PyRoCSFronjowonga77BRYAN Is Ainm Dommansize 8 votes
    M. Gomez (Ger) 20/1
    1%
    MightyMandarin 1 vote
    A. Aduriz (Spa) 20/1
    1%
    Corben Dallas 1 vote
    A. Martial (Fra) 25/1
    0%
    D. Sturridge (Eng) 33/1
    3%
    [Deleted User]CR 7Giggsy11 3 votes
    J. Vardy (Eng) 33/1
    0%
    Z. Ibrahimovic (Swe) 33/1
    2%
    brianregan09timmyntc 2 votes
    W. Rooney (Eng) 33/1
    0%
    M. Gotze (Ger) 33/1
    0%
    M. Mandzukic (Cro) 33/1
    0%
    E. Hazard (Bel) 33/1
    1%
    happyoutscan 1 vote
    G. Pelle (Ita) 40/1
    2%
    Garzoricodarced 2 votes
    C. Benteke (Bel) 40/1
    2%
    Decuc500john kinsella 2 votes
    K. De Bruyne (Bel) 40/1
    0%
    G. Bale (Wal) 50/1
    1%
    SEPT 23 1989 1 vote
    Other (Tell us who)
    1%
    aha_sender 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

O. Giroud (Fra) 16/1
    I always find this one of the interesting subplots of these football tournaments: who takes home the golden boot?

David Villa won it in '08, with Fernando Torres taking it in 2012, but who do you fancy to be top marskman in 2016? Here are Paddy Power's current top contenders:

I think I'm going to go for Ronaldo since Portugal's group games look like good value for him to bag a few early on.

What do you think? I may stick up a poll...

Lewandowski. There, I've also saved you sticking up a Pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

T. Muller (Ger) 8/1
    CR7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

This is a tough one, so many in with a shout. The bulk of the goals will come from the group stage as I find that usually in these tournaments the knock-out games are cagey affairs that result in 1-0, 2-0 at most or penalties.

Morata appealed to me the other day, 16/1 isn't a bad price and he should be leading the Spanish attack. Croatia, Czech Rep and Turkey will be tricky enough games for Spain though.

Ronaldo and Portugal have a nice group, you'd expect him to bag at least 2 or 3 v Hungary and Iceland alone.

I'll be boring and say Muller though, again for similar reasons to Ronaldo I think he'll bag a few in the group against Poland, Ukraine and NI. Germany usually always romp their group and could see them going far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I fancy France to go all the way, and as a result I think 9/1 for Griezmann and 25/1 for Martial are decent enough prices.

I'm guessing Martial is unlikely to start all the games if PP have him so well priced? Think he's more left winger tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

R. Lewandowski (Pol) 16/1
    Morata for me, going to throw a very small bet on the double of him winning the GB and Spain winning the cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Daryl Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

H. Kane (Eng) 14/1
    Anto Griezmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

T. Muller (Ger) 8/1
    Typically a player who scores 5 goals usually comes away as top GS (albeit with one less game)

My bets on Ronaldo, if Portugal are gonna score he'll be involved especially in such a poor group with Austria, Hungary & Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

hogey143 wrote: »
    Typically a player who scores 5 goals usually comes away as top GS (albeit with one less game)

My bets on Ronaldo, if Portugal are gonna score he'll be involved especially in such a poor group with Austria, Hungary & Iceland.

I reckon Austria top the group. As such I'll probably put something on their strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Seeing as bookies odds were mentioned in the OP, probably worth reminding people that bookies don't actually bet on The Golden Boot.
    All the odds are actually for top goalscorer (which wasn't won by Torres 4 years ago, it was a 5 way split from memory with dead heat rules).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Marc Janko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

E. Hazard (Bel) 33/1
    Mandzukic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nolito (Spa) 18/1
    Giroud at 16s for me. He will be in the central striker role for the favourites. Should get enough chances to be a very solid each way shout even if he isn't the best striker in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Who usually takes penalties for Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

T. Muller (Ger) 8/1
    Corholio wrote:
    Who usually takes penalties for Spain?

Cesc or Iniesta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

A. Griezmann (Fra) 9/1
    father will be looking for odds on Suker no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

H. Kane (Eng) 14/1
    I'd fancy greizman. He seems to score a lot with out doing anything special. Ronaldo is suffering from am injury atm and doesn't really do it in international tournaments. Lewandowski is a good outsider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Lewandowski or Muller for me.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I took a punt on Sigurðsson @200/1 €2 ew , they over achieved in qualifying he'll take penos and free kicks, open enough group IMO but may be underestimating Portugal however who came out of the weakest qualifying group. A long shot but a shot nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

father will be looking for odds on Suker no doubt

Or the young Anelka fella!

Any1 know Pen takers for France...Greizman?
    & Wales Bale or Ramsey?

• Advertisement

I took a punt on Sigurðsson @200/1 €2 ew , they over achieved in qualifying he'll take penos and free kicks, open enough group IMO but may be underestimating Portugal however who came out of the weakest qualifying group. A long shot but a shot nonetheless

It's a great shout. esp since last top goal scorer only got 3 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Assuming Greizmann takes France's penalties and they're the host with a great chance of winning it, I'll go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It's a great shout. esp since last top goal scorer only got 3 goals

Thinking of adding Payet for this reason too, albeit friendlies he's recently got on score sheet 3 times since being added to squad

Matuidi interestingly enough has scored the second highest of French goals behind Giroud since September 2014

Thinking of adding Payet for this reason too, albeit friendlies he's recently got on score sheet 3 times since being added to squad

Matuidi interestingly enough has scored the second highest of French goals behind Giroud since September 2014

Good stat on Matuidi. No convinced he is a better shout than Sigurdsson tho.
    Hamsik might be another decent long shot. Slovakia main goal threat. Takes pens. & they have a decent chance of getting out of their group

Muller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

A. Griezmann (Fra) 9/1
    If anything I'd have Muller as favourite.
    He's consistently scored in every major tournament and with a team like Germany they will go to the final I reckon.
    CR7 is a fantastic player but Portugal are muck without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

De Bruyne looks appealing at 40/1 but it's A) a tough group and B) I have a feeling he'll be providing more than scoring.

May be worth a couple of squids for interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ronaldo has frees penalties is a goal machine and in the easiest group.

He could have 4 or 5 in the group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Think it has to be Ronaldo. To be honest I was expecting him to be somewhere around 5/1 so I think 7s is great value. That's not a bad Portugal team (better than the last 2 or 3 tournaments), he's coming off a great season, he's an absolute goal machine, takes the penalties and they have a handy group. You couldn't rule him out having 5 goals after the group stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Ricardo Quarsema.

A cool 175/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Ronaldo is a certainty if he is fit, he certainly was not 100% against Atletico Madrid 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Lukaku has a great chance to win it. I think they are going to go very close to winning it and he is going to get loads of opportunities. A very good Euros would seal a move to a big club too for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

So half way through the tournament there are no real runaways as yet for the golden boot. Morata and Bale on 3, Ronaldo, Payet, Lukaku and Perisic on 2.

Bale with a great opportunity to bag another one or two v NI, you'd fancy him for one at least.
    Ronaldo up until the Hungary game had 0 goals and missed a penalty v Austria but it just goes to show it only takes one game for the top strikers to put themselves in contention.
    Hard to believe Muller hasn't one yet despite a rake of chances v NI but as mentioned above it only takes a game to get back on the wagon.

Lewandowski, Griezmann, Giroud and Milik all on one so they're by no means out of the running. Every goal from now on will be hard earned as the knockout games are usually cagey affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Assuming Greizmann takes France's penalties and they're the host with a great chance of winning it, I'll go for him.

Not too bad! It made so much sense, that I failed to put any money on it :mad:

H. Kane (Eng) 14/1
    Anto Griezmann

Yay! Oh wait......another winner I didn't back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does Griezmann remind anyone of Denis Law in his style of play ?

H. Kane (Eng) 14/1
    Actually yes, his body shape/running style is very Denis Law. Both wirey types.

Advertisement