Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie needs increased moderation

Options
  • 03-06-2016 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

At present, explicitly racist, mysoginistic, homophobic, anti-traveller, anti-muslim posts and sentiments are viewed unfavourably by boards.ie and heavily moderated. I don't agree with the excessive moderation myself but that's my problem.

However, there is another group of people who receive no such protections. Poor people.

I've been following, and oft contributing to, discussions on boards for a few years, and while After Hours always produced a steady flow of "dole scrounger threads etc.", there was a certain awareness usually consistent in them, almost a self referential humour. And usually some balance.

But that has changed. I don't know why exactly. I can only guess it's because of the economic destruction of the last few years. Though perhaps it has been due to a turnover in poster demographics. Maybe human nature. Who knows.

However, the humour is now gone. And has been replaced with hatred. Not seriousness, or objectivity. No, it has simply shifted to blatant hate. Which is fine. We are all free to hate. And to express hate. Except not on boards, as alluded to at the start of this post.

So my question is, why is boards.ie allowing discussions facilitating hatred and prejudice towards poor people without even attempting to moderate such discussions, in the same way the moderators would do so on a thread regarding expressions of racism, homophobia etc.?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Canadel wrote: »
    So my question is, why is boards.ie allowing discussions facilitating hatred and prejudice towards poor people without even attempting to moderate such discussions, in the same way the moderators would do so on a thread regarding expressions of racism, homophobia etc

Well, the "poor" in these cases tend to be Irish, white, Christian/non-religious and working class.

Not much virtue signalling to be had in defending such people- so they do not.

In stark contrast and as you correctly point out, refer to one of the pet minorities or protected ideologies in the same way and watch them spring self-righteously into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So now in addition to Boards.ie being anti-gay, anti-lesbian, anti-lgbt, anti-Muslim, anti-Jew, anti-Catholic, anti-Fianna Fail, anti-Fine Gael, anti-Labour, anti-Sinn Fein, anti-teacher, anti-Garda, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-Cork, anti-Limerick, anti-anyone-outside-the-pale, anti-cyclist, anti-anti-water charges, anti-free speech, anti-non-neoclassical economics, it is now anti-poor.

Duly noted.

Can we add misandrist to that list?

Oh and I don't like Mondays, but I don't know if that applies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Increase the moderation? Jesus, please buddha, no. It's less it needs, not more.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    anti-anyone-outside-the-pale.
    Well that's just common feckin sense to be fair.
    it is now ant-poor.
    You won't be saying that in a months time when they start to swarm.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Increase the moderation? Jesus, please buddha, no. It's less it needs, not more.

Well that's just common feckin sense to be fair.

You won't be saying that in a months time when they start to swarm.

An ant uprising?

mg44s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't like Mondays

Tell me why.

Tell me why.

I want to shooOOOOOOOt the whole. day. down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

I wish there were rules against starting pointless threads like this in feedback, a DR thread from a few months back will give an alternative perspective on the possible true agenda of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

HanaleiJ5N wrote: »
    I wish there were rules against starting pointless threads like this in feedback, a DR thread from a few months back will give an alternative perspective on the possible true agenda of this thread.

More moderation to stop threads requesting more moderation!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So now in addition to Boards.ie being anti-gay, anti-lesbian, anti-lgbt, anti-Muslim, anti-Jew, anti-Catholic, anti-Fianna Fail, anti-Fine Gael, anti-Labour, anti-Sinn Fein, anti-teacher, anti-Garda, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-Cork, anti-Limerick, anti-anyone-outside-the-pale, anti-cyclist, anti-anti-water charges, anti-free speech, anti-non-neoclassical economics, it is now ant-poor.

Duly noted.

I'd also like to note that I've observed an awful lot of anti-cat sentiment on this site.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

So my question is, why is boards.ie allowing discussions facilitating hatred and prejudice towards poor people without even attempting to moderate such discussions, in the same way the moderators would do so on a thread regarding expressions of racism, homophobia etc.?

No coincidence that banging on about the poor was used as a smokescreen for trolling the hell out of a thread on Legal Discussion, yesterday.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057604428

And you ask for more moderation. Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Wibbs wrote: »
    Instead of increased moderation, perhaps equality of moderation would be more apt? One of the most targeted, most criticised and most abused demographic by boards.ie users is poor people and those apparently "playing the system" and so on and so forth. And yet that demographic receives virtually none of the same protections as others do, such as women, travellers, gays, blacks, Muslims and so on.

Of course I would be in favour of less moderation on boards. And have argued so in the past. But surely you can see that when moderation does exist, it should be done on an equal level regarding hate speech towards certain groups?
    So now in addition to Boards.ie being anti-gay, anti-lesbian, anti-lgbt, anti-Muslim, anti-Jew, anti-Catholic, anti-Fianna Fail, anti-Fine Gael, anti-Labour, anti-Sinn Fein, anti-teacher, anti-Garda, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-Cork, anti-Limerick, anti-anyone-outside-the-pale, anti-cyclist, anti-anti-water charges, anti-free speech, anti-non-neoclassical economics, it is now anti-poor.

Duly noted.
    No, just anti-constuctive feedback it appears.
    No coincidence that banging on about the poor was used as a smokescreen for trolling the hell out of a thread on Legal Discussion, yesterday.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057604428

And you ask for more moderation. Yeah, right.
    So much hate is not good for anyone. If you have any on topic feedback to provide please do.

You know.. you don't actually have to use this site, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

You know.. you don't actually have to use this site, right?
    You know this is the feedback forum, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

You know what I'd like to see, less tolerance for quoting huge chunks of text. It's so so so very irritating and makes me avoid threads where I know someone has done it.

They've clamped down on it in PI but I don't think I've seen it anywhere else. Really wish mobile users were considered more in the rules.

I think this thread has the potential to be a boards bashing thread rather than giving constructive feedback.

No, just anti-constuctive feedback it appears

Ok, I admit my reply to your post was somewhat facetious, but in all honesty, there is an element of truth to it.

So my question is, how do we define this type of person you are talking about and how do we moderate it? In other words, how do we identify when a poster has crossed the line on this matter and needs to be called out on it?

Genuine question, I'm trying to be constructive.

I think this thread has the potential to be a boards bashing thread rather than giving constructive feedback.

Well, it has been at least 24 hours since we have had one.

Well, it has been at least 24 hours since we have had one.

At least.

There seems to me, a new ish member, to be two groups of people giving feedback. Those with genuine concerns and ideas who really care about the site. The other group are the axe grinders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

At least.

There seems to me, a new ish member, to be two groups of people giving feedback. Those with genuine concerns and ideas who really care about the site. The other group are the axe grinders.

The more constructive feedback is probably from the axe grinders then, as they have experienced something that gives them an axe to grind eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

The more constructive feedback is probably from the axe grinders then, as they have experienced something that gives them an axe to grind eh?
    To quote Jim Butcher
    “Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

So, some parts of boards are heavily moderated, which I don't agree with. But there's one part of boards that needs more moderation.

Yeah, have that conversation a few more times and let the mods action it every single time.

Would end up with nobody being able to post anything for fear of upsetting someone.

What boards needs to do is create a 'Safe Place' forum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RIGHTisRIGHT, if you can't make a point in this thread without personalising the discussion then please don't contribute any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

<snip>
    LOL. The state of the sad, no life twats on that site :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

More moderation is definitely not what boards needs

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Someone is desperate to be a martyr to some cause or another and get banned, then he can flounce back to his other site full of indignation. That or he can't work out how to close his account by himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Funny they say exactly the same thing.:D

We're going to "dox" someone because we didn't like them on boards... with information and photos they made freely available on.. er... boards.
    That place is the single, saddest, neck beard and pimple infested kip I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Cienciano wrote: »
    More moderation is definitely not what boards needs

snip

They even delete it out of your private messages!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is this the equivalent of giving your kid forty fags and locking him in the shed until he has the whole lot smoked after you catch him having a sneaky puff?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement