Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more AirB&B for Temple Bar

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No, but for Airbnb landlords the choice is between full control and no control over what to do if you get a bad tenant. The choice is between a) the risk of having a tenant stop paying rent, trash your house, costing loss of income, legal fees and redecorating costs - and b) the absence of risk of a fully vetted Airbnb tenant who has no right to over-stay, and with Airbnb insurance into the bargain.

You're perpetuating the binary choice myth; bad tenants/good AirBnB.

Don't forget there's an option C that many many many landlords choose:

c) good long-term tenants that pay their rent on time and act in accordance with their obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Graham wrote: »
    You're perpetuating the binary choice myth; bad tenants/good AirBnB.

Don't forget there's an option C that many many many landlords choose:

c) good long-term tenants that pay their rent on time and act in accordance with their obligations.

=> problem is you have no way of being sure that your 3rd option will happen before you sign away your lease and are caught. I am thinking of buying an apartment for investment purposes. Initially i thought to simply rent it and then i read the horror stories and then i remembered how a few years ago i had roommates who had no consideration for the apartments we shared. If the supposedly good tenant turns bad the economic consequences can be far more disastrous for the property owner than a bad 2-3 day tenant who is easily kicked out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Miamiheat wrote: »
    If the supposedly good tenant turns bad the economic consequences can be far more disastrous for the property owner than a bad 2-3 day tenant who is easily kicked out.

This is true, absolutely no argument from me. Great argument for speeding up the eviction process.

On the other hand, the consequences could be fairly bleak if you purchased on the basis of AirBnB income and then found out planning rules/head leases were being enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

We have an Airbnb megathread if you want to discuss Airbnb in the abstract. As recent posts do not relate to temple bar, thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement