Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heart failure and when to pts

• 03-06-2016 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭

Nelson our 9 year old south African mastiff was diagnosed with heart failure in March this year. He was on a cocktail of medicine but it was €100 a week and last month we had to make the decision to stop giving them because we can't afford it.
    Last week his cough got a lot worse and 2 days ago his stomach expanded. This was due to fluid and he's on a diuretic now.
    When he coughs it's awful to see because he's gagging and really struggling to breath. The cough only lasts for a minute and he settles down and sleeps. He is still very quick to get up and wander around the garden even doing a little running every now and then! He is eating great, going to the toilet fine and wagging his tail like the happy boy he's always been.
    This is my dilemma, when I see him coughing I think it's time to end his suffering but 2 seconds later he's snoring or enjoying some sunbathing. I don't want to leave him suffering but he does still seem to have a good quality of life. The vet says it's up to us and only we will know when times right.
    Anyone ever regret putting their dog to sleep too soon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Better a week too early than a minute too late, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

We had to put one of our boys to sleep 8 weeks ago today - he was only just gone 7 and was diagnosed with an aggressive form of stomach cancer and given just a few weeks to live when he was diagnosed in early January. He was a great little battler and was happy and healthy for a good bit longer than expected. I had a massive fear since he was diagnosed that he would be in pain and I would let him suffer too long so when he did go down hill I immediately put him to sleep because of that fear and people saying better too soon than too late....but all I think about since then was maybe I put him to sleep too soon and he might have perked up again and enjoyed a good quailty of life for a little longer.
    I reckon either way you will always second guess your actions and decisions...it's just a very hard decision to make and all you can do is what you think is best for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I regret putting my dog to sleep too late. We would make the appointment for her then cancel it with minutes to spare. I would say we were a month too late :( looking back on it now it was bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For me when I made that decision for our cat he was miserable, not eating and there was no chance of him getting better (kidney failure) - keeping him alive longer would have been for our benefit only because he had no quality of life. For your guy OP it doesn't sound like he's there just yet? You'll know in your heart when it's time and you won't doubt it because he'll tell you when he's ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Heart failure is an incurable condition that will continue to deteriorate in time. Even the treatment is only about buying time with a good quality of life.
    As his heart fails as a pump more fluid backs up into the lungs and stomach.the fluid builds up in the lungs and makes it hard for him to breath and his cough is a symptom of this,eventually his lungs will fill with fluid and he will suffocate.at the same time his belly is filling with fluid and making him feel uncomfortable.
    this isn't a nice disease where he will die in his sleep sadly.
    I would speak to the vets to see what's the max drugs he can get to make him as comfortable as possible,give him a last good day and let him go while he is still able to cope. Waiting only increases the chances that he will suddenly decompensate and suffer. Sorry to put this so bluntly in writing but sometimes it is better a day to early then an hour to late. Good luck with your boy I'm sorry you have to go through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

We've decided it's definitely not time yet (obviously that could change over night). Did a lot of reading online and it's literally just the cough that bothers him. Fluid is draining with the tablets.

He still has a good quality of life. Just spent the morning in the garden with him plodding around with his stumpy little tail wagging 😊

Aru wrote: »
    Heart failure is an incurable condition that will continue to deteriorate in time. Even the treatment is only about buying time with a good quality of life.
    As his heart fails as a pump more fluid backs up into the lungs and stomach.the fluid builds up in the lungs and makes it hard for him to breath and his cough is a symptom of this,eventually his lungs will fill with fluid and he will suffocate.at the same time his belly is filling with fluid and making him feel uncomfortable.
    this isn't a nice disease where he will die in his sleep sadly.
    I would speak to the vets to see what's the max drugs he can get to make him as comfortable as possible,give him a last good day and let him go while he is still able to cope. Waiting only increases the chances that he will suddenly decompensate and suffer. Sorry to put this so bluntly in writing but sometimes it is better a day to early then an hour to late. Good luck with your boy I'm sorry you have to go through this.

He could very well die in his sleep. We were told he could have heart attack at any time.

I dont know how to embed photo but that is nelson this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

When our Shadow was 11, he was diagnosed with lymphoma. The vet said a steroid treatment would effectively improve his quality of life for the remainder of it, short though it would be. Like you, there were split seconds of us thinking we were being cruel followed by hours of his old self.
    One night, as we were headed to bed, Shadow lay at the foot of the stairs and cried. It dawned on me and my partner that he wanted to go up the stairs (he had always slept in our bed) but was in too much pain and knew he couldn't. We knew then we had dragged it out too much and we let him go the next morning.
    I know it sounds kinda harsh, but you will know when its time to do it. The sad part is, by the time we realise it theyve probably suffered longer than necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Nala, you live with your dog every day... if hes eating, drinking, plodding around, wagging his tail, alert, then his quality of life is ok. But you know that when the time comes you will have to get him to the vet to have the job done, just dont delay. You WILL know when that day comes. we've put two elderly dogs to sleep fairly recently, and my only advise to you would be that the day he goes down, DONT wait, go to the vet! Your boys condition is pretty aggressive and hopefully he will die in his sleep in his own bed, but we waited two days with our smallest dog, and it was a terrible thing to do to him. He had bounced back several times from deaths door, and we thought he would again. Its a horrible situation to be in not being able to afford the huge costs of his meds (can you get it cheaper abroad?) which is probably making you feel worse. But you do what you can, and as long as he is looking well, and has decent quality of life, count every extra day with him as a good day! Hes gorgeous by the way

• Advertisement

We had to put Nelson to sleep today. He went down hill and although vet said we could wait a few days we decided it was best for Nelson to put him to sleep. He was struggling this morning and although vet said we could wait a few days it would only be for our benefit. Hardest decision to make but it was best for him. I have no regrets. I wish he could live forever but it wasn't to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

nala2012 wrote: »
    We had to put Nelson to sleep today. He went down hill and although vet said we could wait a few days we decided it was best for Nelson to put him to sleep. He was struggling this morning and although vet said we could wait a few days it would only be for our benefit. Hardest decision to make but it was best for him. I have no regrets. I wish he could live forever but it wasn't to be

Run free Nelson, no more pain :o
    It's so hard letting them go :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Brave move Nala... I hope you find comfort in the fact that it all happened quickly... He was a happy dog right up to the end. A slow descent makes it much harder to decide when to make the call.
    Though I have to say, my heart sank when I read the news :(
    He was a lucky fella... A big noble looking chap too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

RIP Nelson :( Well done for being brave and putting him first xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

So sorry that you had to make that tough choice, but well done for putting him first. Take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

So sorry to read your last post nala2012 - what a gorgeous fella... you made the right decision for him albeit very very difficult for you.

Run free Nelson X

Advertisement