Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a carrera roadbike cassette to 11-30

Options
  • 03-06-2016 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I have the above bike and at present it has a 14-28 cassette. It is a 7 speed bike.

I looked online and it seems hard enough to get this type. 11-28s do seem available.
    I can manage most hills fine but I think a long steep incline would sap my legs. I also find I spin out on the 50-14 highest gear when on a decline. It is not a huge issue but wouldn't mind knowing.
    Also what is difference between 28 and 28T?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

T stands for Tooth so 28T means 28 teeth on the cog so theres no difference in 28 and 28T.

What rear derailleur is on your bike? It may not accomodate a 30T cassette. There should be plenty of cassette options available in MTB cassettes which will work fine on your bike so long as they're compatible with your groupset, ie shimano sram etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I had a carrera , a few years ago and i also changed the cassette as it didnt suit me.
    I changed to an 11-30 and i needed to get the Long Cage derailleur to acommodate the larger cog (30).
    It made a big difference using a 34 (small chain ring)- 30 when going up long drags and sharp inclines.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

greenspurs wrote: »
    I had a carrera , a few years ago and i also changed the cassette as it didnt suit me.
    I changed to an 11-30 and i needed to get the Long Cage derailleur to acommodate the larger cog (30).
    It made a big difference using a 34 (small chain ring)- 30 when going up long drags and sharp inclines.

Did it cost much to replace or did you do it yourself?
    The bike has Tourney components.

Did it cost much to replace or did you do it yourself?
    The bike has Tourney components.

I did it myself....
    bought the deraileur and cassette on c.r.c , as it was cheaper than my LBS , but maybe check your LBS , in case they are cheaper and might do a deal for the parts and fit them, if not doing it yourself?

greenspurs wrote: »
    I did it myself....
    bought the deraileur and cassette on c.r.c , as it was cheaper than my LBS , but maybe check your LBS , in case they are cheaper and might do a deal for the parts and fit them, if not doing it yourself?

Was it a mountain bike cassette you got as not many 11-30s on a road bike?

• Advertisement

yes it was :) Needs must :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing to bear in mind is that you will end up with a much 'gappier' freewheel; so possibly harder to find a sweet spot of cadence. speaking for myself, i'd be happier having to spin out on downhills occasionally than having to deal with not quite finding the gear i want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was talking to CRC last week about changing my cassette on my road bike. They recommended an MTB one.
    Don't forget you'll need a chain to match.

I am not sure if I will change or not. The more I get out on the bike the easier the hills are getting. I'm light enough anyway so a lower gear shouldn't be really needed but I do find it easier on the knees.

I saw an 11-28 cassette on CRC which could be an option but unless I went racing it wouldn't be a big thing.

To be honest I want the bike to be low maintenance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a quick look and i can't see an 11-30 with a gap between rings of less than two teeth. so for example, you could be jumping from 13 to 15 teeth, which would be a cadence increase of 15%. which is a fair jump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement