Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Innsbruck-Austria

• 03-06-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Planning a trip to Austria for a couple of weeks primarily Innsbruck (No dates set so recommendations for any times of the year) if anyone has anything to recommend there or even nearby it would be appreciated. Seen a few mentions of Innsbruck here and there on other threads but none too specific so said id create this one. Any information appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not been over there in years but the glacier is worth seeing as is a trip to Salzburg and it's castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

Not been over there in years but the glacier is worth seeing as is a trip to Salzburg and it's castle.

Will add the glacier to the hit list :) I've heard good things about Salzburg, definitely give the castle a look when I'm there.
    Thanks Tatranska

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Will add the glacier to the hit list :) I've heard good things about Salzburg, definitely give the castle a look when I'm there.
    Thanks Tatranska

There's a train up the side of the mountain to the castle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Patrick_Swayze

Visited the Golden Dach on my way through Inns, nice city and the GD is worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in innsbruck ittself theres not a fierce amount to see. Its just famous as it had a winter olympics and is a good base to land into Austria for skiing. the city itsself is nowhere as picturesque as say Salzburg or indeed other cities nearby like Regensburg or Bamberg or Munich and the likes.
    The mountains around it are spectacular though and you can get the train up into the alps to Seefeld and walk about the mountains there. Theres no end of hiking possibilities, some easy, some professional level, but thats a thing to research yourself. The cheaters way is just to get a cable car up, potter about for a while and then cable car down!

A half hour to the south is italy, so you could also bit by bit make your way to Bolzano or Verona or Lake Garda or Milan or Venice with a few overnights en route.
    Northern Italy is spectacular and it is essentially a stolen part of Austria due to post war treaties, so they still have the alpine houses and speak german, but with a smattering of italian food and whatnot.
    I'd remind you a little of the gaeltacht with the bilingual thing going on, and then it peters out as you go more to the south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Slight hijacking. ( ok big hiijack) Thinking of Salzburg in October. Fly into Munich and train it to Salzburg or is there a better way? St Gilgen with a day trip? Finally Vienna day trip -doable or forget? Innsbruck a better option for day trip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you can get a bus from munich airport to Salzburg, but not sure how quick it is or frequent. Train with bayern ticket might be the job, maybe even stop off en route for a feed in a beerhall before heading on.
    In salzburg theres day trips around the nearby countryside, or by train the short distance to Berchtesgaden/ Königsee(lake), Nazi documentation centre and bunker etc.

Vienna or Innsbruck are much of a muchness and if anything munich would be the handiest (maybe cheapest) day trip. I'd tend to Vienna over Innsbruck anyhow as you'll have enough mountains and scenery without spending a couple of hours getting to them (incidentally via germany and back tracking half ways to Munich, which shows you that Munich is in the hinterland of Salzburg and not Innsbruck)

Vienna is a proper city with palaces and grand buildings, and nice coffee and cake. If bringing a woman she'll probably appreciate it, and in october it may be a better bet considering the grim enough weather would make outdoor activities in Innsbruck a little unpleasant.

Advertisement