Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSO as turbo bike

Options
  • 03-06-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

A bit of a tangent, for the weather that's in it, but just came across my old BSO in the back of a shed. I'm planning on doing more turbo work in the autumn/ winter (Trainer Road most likely), or potentially as soon as I get it set up. It'll probably need a bit of tlc, so hoping to practice/ build my mechanical skills at the same time on a bike that doesn't really matter and isn't going to leave me stranded when I inevitably feck things up!

Would it matter doing these sessions on a BSO, once it was in working order? I will be looking to go smart turbo most likely.

The plan would be to leave it set up to maximise the time available/ minimise the excuses for not doing a turbo session. It'd also mean the commuter and good bike would be available straight away too (last winter I used the commuter on the Turbo, but that did mean there was days I would've commuted on it and couldn't be arsed swapping the tyre).

Mods - I know there are previous threads, but none really asking the question of a crap bike, so I didn't want to resurrect one - sorry if it's deemed a duplicate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Why not?
    So long as the bike is functioning it would be fine. If it's squeaking a bit it might be a drag sitting on a turbo with it but if you can pedal it and the wheels are moving then work away surely.

If it breaks down while you are on the turbo at least you won't have to walk far to get home...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Have a look at trying to set it up as similar as you can to your normal bike. At least this way it's not a big change to go bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

4iii power meters becoming officially available this side of the atlantic (with also a potential window on the exchange rate if brexit vote goes wrong next week) has me possibly rethinking at least the smart turbo...

Is there anything missing from my limited technical knowledge in thinking that once the 105 crank (as per my good bike) is the same length and compatible, it's an easy swap from one bike to another? In which case, same length cranks, I should be able to move the crank with power meter between bikes easily enough? Even between a relatively new Giant and a heap of crap BSO?

Advertisement