Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT Medical science // Applied Biology and Biopharmaceutical Science

Options
  • 03-06-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi i am currently a Leaving Cert student and I am interested in studying either Medical Science or Applied Biology and Biopharmaceutical Science in GMIT.
    If anyone on here has studied/ is currently studying this course, i'd really appreciate if you could PM me as i'd love to hear more information about these courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'd say medical science would give you more options down the line tbh, I did the Applied Biology and biopharmaceutical science a few years ago and while it is easy enough to get interviews and work its a bit of a dead end, that's completely my opinion and do your own research, I'm going to do a conversion course into IT I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Siv208

Thanks for that. It seemed that there was a lot of job opportunities on the website but maybe not? Stuck between a lot of science courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wake_Up_Donnie

Don't know anything about Applied Biology and Biopharmaceutical Science but will be heading into third year of Medical Science in September. Seems like queries about Medical Science come up in this forum fairly regularly. I blame lack of info on the GMIT website for that :P

It's a tough course but I think if you were to choose it, it would stand to you and you'd have more job opportunities compared to other broader scientific courses. It's aimed at training you to work in hospital labs testing blood, urine etc but you could also use to go into research or the private sector.

First year is fairly basic; Maths, Physics, Cell biology & Genetics, Human Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry and Learning & Innovation Skills (LIS). The modules are delivered all year round except for LIS which is 100% CA and only taught during semester 1, and micro which is only taught during semester 2. Modules are assessed using CA and the exams in May.

Second year moves up a level in terms of difficulty and study time required. This is when you get to learn about the actual Medical Science content. Modules are Biochemistry, Blood Transfusion Science, Human Physiology, Medical Microbiology, Scientific Communications, Statistics, Cellular Pathology, Clinical Chemistry, Haematology, Immunology and Molecular Biology. Year is split into 2 semesters so there'll be exams at Christmas and in May.

Can't give you any details about third year as I haven't started yet (!) other than the fact that there's a ~6 month placement in a hospital lab.

This is a very practical oriented course, labs a few times a week and there are lab practicals associated with most of the modules which you have to pass in order to pass the module. If you don't pass, you have to repeat the year. This course is also different from other courses in that you have to pass both the CA and end of term exam components individually to pass the module. There is also no pass by compensation.

Don't be intimidated by the above, if the course is right for you, you won't mind putting in the work. But I also don't want to sugarcoat it, there are easier science courses out there.

No matter what course you pick, but particularly with this one, I highly recommend that you put in the work from day one, it'll make life easier in the long run.

Also have a think about what job you'd like to have. I know it's not easy when you're a teenager trying to decide what you're going to do (or what you think you'll do) for the rest of your life. Maybe you'll decide you're not interested in science and choose something else instead ;)

I wish somebody had told me that you don't have to go to college straight after the Leaving Cert. Taking a year out, working and figuring out what course suits you best is also an option.

Best of luck deciding! If you've any more questions, feel free to ask here or PM me :) There's also a good post in a thread that Miss Brightside started about the maths side of this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Siv208

Don't know anything about Applied Biology and Biopharmaceutical Science but will be heading into third year of Medical Science in September. Seems like queries about Medical Science come up in this forum fairly regularly. I blame lack of info on the GMIT website for that :P

It's a tough course but I think if you were to choose it, it would stand to you and you'd have more job opportunities compared to other broader scientific courses. It's aimed at training you to work in hospital labs testing blood, urine etc but you could also use to go into research or the private sector.

First year is fairly basic; Maths, Physics, Cell biology & Genetics, Human Physiology, Microbiology, Chemistry and Learning & Innovation Skills (LIS). The modules are delivered all year round except for LIS which is 100% CA and only taught during semester 1, and micro which is only taught during semester 2. Modules are assessed using CA and the exams in May.

Second year moves up a level in terms of difficulty and study time required. This is when you get to learn about the actual Medical Science content. Modules are Biochemistry, Blood Transfusion Science, Human Physiology, Medical Microbiology, Scientific Communications, Statistics, Cellular Pathology, Clinical Chemistry, Haematology, Immunology and Molecular Biology. Year is split into 2 semesters so there'll be exams at Christmas and in May.

Can't give you any details about third year as I haven't started yet (!) other than the fact that there's a ~6 month placement in a hospital lab.

This is a very practical oriented course, labs a few times a week and there are lab practicals associated with most of the modules which you have to pass in order to pass the module. If you don't pass, you have to repeat the year. This course is also different from other courses in that you have to pass both the CA and end of term exam components individually to pass the module. There is also no pass by compensation.

Don't be intimidated by the above, if the course is right for you, you won't mind putting in the work. But I also don't want to sugarcoat it, there are easier science courses out there.

No matter what course you pick, but particularly with this one, I highly recommend that you put in the work from day one, it'll make life easier in the long run.

Also have a think about what job you'd like to have. I know it's not easy when you're a teenager trying to decide what you're going to do (or what you think you'll do) for the rest of your life. Maybe you'll decide you're not interested in science and choose something else instead ;)

I wish somebody had told me that you don't have to go to college straight after the Leaving Cert. Taking a year out, working and figuring out what course suits you best is also an option.

Best of luck deciding! If you've any more questions, feel free to ask here or PM me :) There's also a good post in a thread that Miss Brightside started about the maths side of this course.

Thanks so so much for all that! It's my first choice on CAO so we'll see how it goes!

Advertisement