Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imprinted concrete to replace grass ?

Options
  • 03-06-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any experience with imprinted concrete, that is concrete imprinted with a cobble stone or brick pattern? I've only seen it in magazines and online but it can look great and would avoid the annoyance of weeds growing in the cracks of bricks etc. We are thinking of replacing our grass out the front with it as it would cut down on the need for grass cutting and the back garden is pretty big so a pain to cut.Has anyone got imprinted concrete or have any thoughts on it?
    Anyone recommend someone in the Galway area for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Great stuff, but not cheap. Compare to available cobblelock and other paving solutions before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

This option can look really well when done right. It is also easier to maintain as no weeding. You need to plan drainage as rainwater can't soak away through the concrete.
    Make sure whoever does the job has experience especially mixing the colour, my Dad did his own driveway many years ago and the first section colour was not mixed properly and didn't exactly match the rest. Didn't look too bad, but he noticed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My former foster father was doing this. I think he still is. I used to go with him whdn he was doing the jobs. Seen one of the jobs recently i done with him dating from 1999 and still in good condition. There is some special spray applied annually to preserve it as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks very much those are great replies, very encouraging. I was talking to someone about it today and he mentioned it's very slippy in winter, I'm not sure how it could be particularly slippy, but it is complained about online when I googled too on older pages. Does anyone know if it's less of a problem now maybe?

Advertisement