Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did the TUI executive recommend acceptance of LRA2?

Options
  • 03-06-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Why did the TUI executive decide to recommend acceptance of the revised version of the Landsdowne Road Agreement?

The TUI used to be more militant than the ASTI. Why is this not the case anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Because they were told to I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Based on what was said at branch meeting, and having spoken to an executive member, the main reason for the recommendation was the threats made by the DES, particularly in relation to the Ward Report. I believe the person with whom I spoke truly believes it is the right decision though I got the feeling she did not really believe the stuff about gaining pay equality. I also believe those at the top of the TUI are far too cosy with DES and the government and I do not ot trust them as properly representing their members' best interests.

For me it is the final nail in the coffin of the TUI. We gave in to threats and signed off on a framework where the government deliver nothing, renege on agreements and offer nothing but threats while do whatever they ask. The TUI are essentially irrelevant and redundant at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Presumably, members can lodge motions at the next Easter conference for a ballot on withdrawal from LRA2 if the government fails to grant meaningful concessions in the talks. Therefore, the idea that the unions have signed away the right to strike on salaries and working conditions is misleading.

In fairness, Richard Bruton said in the Dáil on 26 May:
    I am aware of union concerns regarding the usage of the Croke Park hours. In response to those concerns, my Department recently agreed with the INTO and the TUI that the usage would be reviewed, having regard to teacher professional judgement, system and school requirements and experience to date of best practice in the utilisation of the hours. As an immediate first step in that review, the maximum period of time available for planning and development work on other than a whole-school basis will be increased from five hours to eight hours from the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year and to ten hours from the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2016052600038?opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I've lost faith in motions to congress, last year was a joke, lots not even brought up or voted on, why bother, it's lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I've lost faith in motions to congress, last year was a joke, lots not even brought up or voted on, why bother, it's lip service.
    If enough delegates supported the motion it would be virtually impossible for the executive to ignore it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement