Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattdi22le

Is anyone else getting a peculiar error message about some kind of test mode whilst trying to make a payment for the 100km.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd like to do it, but I think the route looks very dull. Nothing to be said for adding howth to the long route and if it's going out to Meath, take it by trim I'd say and I'd rather come up through the park or from the other side of the park via chapelizod, strawberry beds etc but it goes through a lot of dull industrial estate instead.

There are practical reasons these can't be done, but still something that is nice to take in too

mattdi22le wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting a peculiar error message about some kind of test mode whilst trying to make a payment for the 100km.

yep, couldn't make payment for the 100k either.
    I enjoyed this last year, and thought the jersey was good quality

40 euro seems fairly pricey, what are the water.food stops like ? i presume roads are entirely closed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yes, me too.

• Advertisement

I dont think reg is open tbh, cant find anything in the twitter feed or news on the website which says reg is open.

If at first you don't succeed, try again.
    My entry was accepted on the 2nd attempt.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

i presume roads are entirely closed ?
    Extremely unlikely. Think last year it was just around the start/finish area

Roads are not completely closed.
    All down along the quays are closed.
    Towards the finish is closed.
    All other junctions are really well marshalled by Volunteers and Gardai.
    Last year a number of Gardai, in uniform, did the long route on their MTBs.
    One of the best organised sportives, that I've done.

40 euro seems fairly pricey, what are the water.food stops like ? i presume roads are entirely closed ?

How much would you pay for a jersey?
    with the Wicklow200 you have to pay an extra €40 for the jersey on top of the entry fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They were last year, ever junction was closed it was great.

What I didn't like last year was having to give up a second day to go in a collect the stuff and the part by the sports campus was a disaster , ridiculous speed bumps and slippy roads

ted1 wrote: »
    They were last year, ever junction was closed it was great.

What I didn't like last year was having to give up a second day to go in a collect the stuff and the part by the sports campus was a disaster , ridiculous speed bumps and slippy roads

I agree about the Sports Campus at Abbottstown.
    Awful, just awful, added nothing to the event, only what it took away.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I agree about the Sports Campus at Abbottstown.
    Awful, just awful, added nothing to the event, only what it took away.

agreed, complete waste, apart from the cup cakes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Should substitute "Northside" for "Great" Dublin bike ride :)...more appropriate looking at route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

This was great craic last year. Defo one to do if you want to try a Sportive this year.

A really good day out on the bike :)

Oh, and NCD is not "flat" btw, far from it :D

secman wrote: »
    Should substitute "Northside" for "Great" Dublin bike ride :)...more appropriate looking at route

It even has the audacity to venture into Co. Meath.

How much would you pay for a jersey?
    with the Wicklow200 you have to pay an extra €40 for the jersey on top of the entry fee.

fair point, but not everyone will get jerseys. Just trying to get a feel for the value, as i've not done many events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Signed up for the 100k. Did the 60k last year which is still my longest to this day. I better get training!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Shame about the date, would have been interested had it not coincided with our clubs triathlon/aquabike in Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

Just signed up there. Was hoping they'd change the route a bit or make it longer but thought it was well organised last year so I'll give it a go again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Solasgeal

Do you have to have a 'proper road bike' for this? I have a basic mountain bike that I was wondering if I could use. Not a serious cyclist and would just be doing it for the challenge.

Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I signed up the other day and am looking forward to it. It was a very enjoyable day apart from getting a puncture when leaving Smithfield. Great atmosphere at the end and little pots of pasta were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Solasgeal wrote: »
    Do you have to have a 'proper road bike' for this? I have a basic mountain bike that I was wondering if I could use. Not a serious cyclist and would just be doing it for the challenge.

Thanks for any advice

What distance were you thinking of doing? A mountain bike will be less comfortable and probably heavier than a lot of the bikes that people will be doing it on so you'll have a slightly tougher day because of that. That said, it won't be the only mountain bike on the road that day.

Ways to make it easier would be based on tyre choices. If you can, get slick or as lightly treaded tyres as you can. Also, ensure they are pumped up towards their max pressure. A properly pumped tyre will feel so much better than a soggy tyre and you'll go much faster for the same energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thanks for any advice

The bike is fine..just get out on it when you can and get miles in. You'll be fine on a mountain bike.

Thanks for any advice

You'll be absolutely fine on your MTB, I believe a few garda done it last year on the garda bikes. And i'm sure there will be plenty of people there on non drop bar road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I'm not a member of cycling Ireland, do I need to sign up for that too? Seems a bit steep to fork out €80 for the only sportif I'm likely to do this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Just had a look back there at last year when I did the 60k and Strava has it clocked as 186m elevation gain which isnt a whole lot. Can't speak to the 100k but id have no probs giving that a blast on a mountain bike, especially if I had between now and September to prepare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I signed up for this. My reference number is in the 500's but my bib number is in the 3000's. I wonder if I was in the first 2000 for the free Jersey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I signed up for this. My reference number is in the 500's but my bib number is in the 3000's. I wonder if I was in the first 2000 for the free Jersey :)

My bib number is in the 3000s and ref number is less than 200. Did you sign up for the 100k? I'm thinking the bin numbers for them started at 3000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

traprunner wrote:
    My bib number is in the 3000s and ref number is less than 200. Did you sign up for the 100k? I'm thinking the bin numbers for them started at 3000.

Yeah it's the 100 I signed up for. Hopefully!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement