Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't remember seeing any 747s in dublin airport in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

i don't remember seeing any 747s in dublin airport in years.

Apparently one in getting resprayed at the moment. Not the BA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I fear I may have dragged this off topic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Didn't sleep well last night, slept through my 0630 alarm until my wife woke me at 07:10.

Crammed a couple of breakfast bars into my mouth and flew out the door, then spent a good 25 minutes waiting to start.

Met TonyStark at the start and spent the first bout of non-Competitive Sportive jockeying for position like it mattered fever chatting with hm at a gentle pace.

After a while UnknownSoldier showed up and gave some sort of sales pitch for Rapha Hotpants, this was after the quagmire of the Coast Road and the final sightings of such interesting sportive characters as "Black work trousers and a black Tshirt on a roadbike man" and "Forgot to put his bib straps up man".

Once we got out of Portmarnock I managed to lose my shiny new UnknownSoldier and pressed on alone. The foodstop seemed absurdly early so I blew past it on my paltry breakfast thinking there must be one around the midpoint (Spoilers: There wasn't did the whole 100k on my "breakfast" despite having cereal bars etc in my pockets).

Passed Unknown Soldier a second time before the fun with climbing on a singlespeed started, I didn't hit them with the Rhythm I'd hoped to but there were no walks of shame and I got up them faster than I had last year on a geared bike.

Briefly chatted with a club mate of my dad's on one of the descents, then carried on;The cars stuck in the middle of the ride turned it into sort of a neutralized Sportive and cost me badly needed high cadence spinning time (as well as kicking up a massive piece of manure into my chest. I decided just to be grateful it only hit my chest), got a Boardsie shout at some point and replied with an "Ahoy" because...I was never going to be cool.

At some point someone noticed my lack of gears, I passed a lad doing it on a Bullitt for charity, there was a guy belting along with one arm, and earlier on some ultra muscly guy in GAA shorts and an underarmour powering along.

The last leg into the wind became a bit of a slog and the final foodstop was a snarl of ambling cyclists and frustrated staff, back in the city it was hard to keep up my targeted 100-110 RPM and I was starting to feel the lack of fuel.

Met Koutoubia and his Triathlete friend at the finish.

Lots of marshals and Garda support, tried to shout thanks to a few of the volunteers and marshalls (and Gardai!) along the way, glad I did it on the singlespeed, it made it challenging and interesting in a way that it just wasn't last year, even though I'd say I must have been faster this year.

Saw you at the finish was standing beside you, said to the brother look at the nutter with the single speed. Talk about a glutton for punishment and showing us all up lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Great day out. I felt great going up most of the climbs and actually felt young again for a bit. I found the third quarter a bit tough because I tried to be younger/fitter than I am on the climbs :-) That said, I got in the middle of a big big group on the way back into Dublin and had a fairly easy run in. My time was about 3 minutes better than last year.

Big thanks to all of the Gardaí and marshals. I thanked as many as I could on the way around, but they made it essentially a closed roads ride. I only had to stop for about 2 or 3 red lights at the end.

Strava question...I cycled in to town and back so my Strava ride for the day isn't just the GDBR. My elapsed time and moving time are there for the whole ride, but can I see both figures for the GDBR part of my cycle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

onmebike wrote: »

Strava question...I cycled in to town and back so my Strava ride for the day isn't just the GDBR. My elapsed time and moving time are there for the whole ride, but can I see both figures for the GDBR part of my cycle?

Mine has a segment which is the whole GDBR. I have a little gold cup with a ten on it because I was obviously one of the earlier ones to upload. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You could create your own private segment for your own gdbr?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

one of the better organised sportifs I've done. Done the 100km with a group from MNSCC, Off in the 2nd wave at 8.15, and didnt have to stop at a red light all day until Hanlon's Corner. Fair play to all the marshals and Garda today.
    Stopped at the first food stop, got handed an amazing chicken and stuffing sambo.
    The wind from Garrisstown on was a nightmare. it smashed groups to bits. spent about 5 min in the second stop and pushed on for town.
    I've done sportifs all over Ireland, Today's stands out as one of the best I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

On a darker note, saw a guy in a waist length baggy HiVis Smock and HiVis on the 100.

Road safety education paying off.

Also saw a few Gardai vanish into the low sun on the return leg.

It's almost as if flourescent yellow fabric isn't a panacea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

brianomc wrote: »
    Mine showed 1289 for the 100km which seemed way too high, I got strava to recalculate it and it's down to 603, garmin connect recalculation says 539. Who knows really. Most people seem to show 750ish.

821m for my Garmin Forerunner 910XT, correcting gets me 568m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Did the 60k on my hybrid, didn't risk the 100 until I make a bike investment. Really enjoyed it. Stopped at the first stop for toilet break but had enough with me not to need food. On the 60k route you really started noticing the wind around Dublin Airport, there were some strugglers there, and the few hills also sorted out the crowd. Thought the Blanch stop was pointless so close to the end. Actually dangerous as we were there about the same time as early 100k starters and they were intent on getting through as quickly as possible. Tagged on the back and finished in 2.22. The end into the wind was tough but overall I thought well organised and only stop was Hanlon's Corner. Roll on next year, and a new (second hand) bike, if anyone's selling...

Mine has a segment which is the whole GDBR. I have a little gold cup with a ten on it because I was obviously one of the earlier ones to upload. :D

Yeah I was 4th for a while and a friend had the KOM :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Two people really stood out to me today, One guy with no helmet ( i dont care what your opinion is about helmets, they were a compulsory for the day) taking selfiies of him and his mates from Portmarnock to Malahide. The second was a guy tipping along texting away. This annoys the $hit out of me, so much he was told what I thought of him. The phone quickly went into his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Did the 60km last year and went for the 100km this year, another fantastic day!

I really underestimated the 100km as I'm not familiar with north county Dublin and have never cycled anywhere near that distance, thought my day was over in the naul when my knee suddenly popped and my body started giving in soon after, lost a bit of power but kept going, can't bend it now and getting up and down stairs is near impossible , physio tomorrow for me!!

Managed 3hours 38mins which I'm delighted with , some nutters out there though , going round bends on the wrong side of the road is pure insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

There was some terrible dangerous cycling from clubs who should know better, overtaking at speed and cutting in at the last second. Had to break twice to avoid one particular knob.

Other than that a nice day out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

conkennedy wrote: »
    For me these ladies were the highlight of the day!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvlncRWZHjM

They weren't just ladies - there was a man in a bra there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I still have a gold cup for 5th. In reality looking at the list in Strava I was mid-200's. As you said it must have been for the early uploads and hasn't corrected itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I don't have it, but when I went looking for it, it says that "Your Activity seems to have deviated from the Segment at 80%. We could not complete the match."

The last 30km seem to be the problem, looking at the map.
    You could create your own private segment for your own gdbr?
    Thanks for that! I had already done it and thought I was missing one of the times, but after reviewing it, they're bot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

very nice day in the saddle. Felt like I met half of dublin racing community on it. Lovely going up the hills and looking back over the city and then up snowtown and the view out to sea. The only thing I would say is to have the first feeding station more spread out . have the big one alrite but up the road a table with the resfreshments etc just to ease the congestion at the gaa club.

Was talking to a big man on a mountain bike fair play to him for doing the 100.

great day out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My first sportive and so just the 60km for me. Great to see all the different levels of experience and equipment, (including the guy with the massive snow wheels :eek:),

The Gards and Marshall's really made a difference with their efforts to keep traffic back and let the riders go through at every opportunity, we made it round without any traffic light delays.

The first food stop was a bit hidden and we nearly overshot it (as many did). Topped up the water, half a stuffing sandwich and then off again. Passed a lot of cramps and flat tyres, blessed that neither happened to us. A few hairy moments when people forgot they were surrounded by thousands of other cyclists and you had to remind them...

That wind though, what a strength sapper.

Made it round in 2hr 09mins, despite the best efforts of the cobblestones to unseat me at the end, and enjoyed the event immensely. With a winter of training and a few long distance spins, I hope to be part of the 100km ride next year.

• Advertisement

I still have a gold cup for 5th. In reality looking at the list in Strava I was mid-200's. As you said it must have been for the early uploads and hasn't corrected itself.

It never corrects its self because at the time you were 4th, its just how Strava works

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... before the fun with climbing on a singlespeed started, along....
    Just wondering what gearing ratio you have?

(Mine is 48/16 (i.e. 3:1) - I'd don't think I'd manage the steep part of Snowtown on it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say the sea of cyclists working their way up Snowtown in the sunshine was glorious to see. Shame there was no photographer at the bottom of it as it would have made for a fairly iconic shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

P_1 wrote: »
    Have to say the sea of cyclists working their way up Snowtown in the sunshine was glorious to see. Shame there was no photographer at the bottom of it as it would have made for a fairly iconic shot.

That's one thing I loved seeing on the straight rolling hilly roads - just a never ending ribbon of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That's one thing I loved seeing on the straight rolling hilly roads - just a never ending ribbon of cyclists.
    Going up the Wicklow Gap on the WW200 comes to mind - like colorful ants way into the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

had a great day,

thank goodness the weather stayed fine

did the 60k found it a tad easy tbh i'll do the 100k next year, just did one lunch stop > abbotstown, the first stop was too busy queues too long

and the bowl of "hot" pasta at the end was brill, (had a second:p)

so a big thumbs up to all involved in staging it, well done!

PS - love the medal, its hanging up in my bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

P_1 wrote: »

Yes a big lack of Mainstream Media (hope the word gets out , or they get better PR for next years event , will they allow more than 5000 who knows )..the event was perfect for showing off what Co Dublin has to offer outside of the city ( ok and Co.Meath )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Going up the Wicklow Gap on the WW200 comes to mind - like colorful ants way into the distance.
    I witnessed it from the top of Turlough hill during the Orwell Randonnee. Looked fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i saw it last year at Manor Street, thousands upon thousands whizzing by with a quiet whirr, was beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Unfortunately a reminder of how far you still have to go up the climb ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement