Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

omri wrote: »
    I did the climbs around killiney hill plus few spins to howth and back. The GDBR isn't that hard. I found the pup version of reservoir dog much harder however I cycled to blessington.

This.

At worst you might have to drag the arse out a few smallish climbs in your lowest gear.

BIt of climbing on the coast road and building up the time in the saddle will see you through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Forgot to add that once you hit the climbs just pace yourself - it's not a race so getting to the finish counts rather than the time you manage to do it in. If you have computer with the HR you can see which zones will trash you and just keep the pace steady in a comfortable zone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Any recommendations on food for the day? I've signed up to the 60km ride. Two water bottles full at the beginning or just one and fill up at stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Any recommendations on food for the day? I've signed up to the 60km ride. Two water bottles full at the beginning or just one and fill up at stops?

Personally, I wouldn't eat during a 60km ride and only bring 1 water bottle. But if you're not used to doing 60k rides bring a bit more than you think you'll need to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

You'll only need one bottle as there are food stops at about 30k and 50k.

• Advertisement

100km took me 4hrs so I'd say you'll do it in around 2hrs. Bring 1-2 bottles depending on the size. I have 2x750ml I think I did a refill at some point. There were 2 food stops if memory serves well. Get a banana or some kind of bar. If you eat say a snickers at 30km this will bring you easily to the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Last year was my first 60km. I had 2 water bottles. Didn't need them because of the food stop at about the halfway point. One would be enough. There was plenty of food at the stop when I was there. I didn't bother with the food stop at 50km. I couldn't see the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

100km took me 4hrs so I'd say you'll do it in around 2hrs. Bring 1-2 bottles depending on the size. I have 2x750ml I think I did a refill at some point. There were 2 food stops if memory serves well. Get a banana or some kind of bar. If you eat say a snickers at 30km this will bring you easily to the finish.

Food stops were poor enough last year, I'd bring a bar or two with me.

Food stops were poor enough last year, I'd bring a bar or two with me.

I wouldnt say poor but kind of boring as I ate bananas only all day, so the last one was a godsend with their nice bars (peanut butter or some popcorn or smth). Probably the nicest bar I ever had ;)

I wouldnt say poor but kind of boring as I ate bananas only all day, so the last one was a godsend with their nice bars (peanut butter or some popcorn or smth). Probably the nicest bar I ever had ;)

You must have been late to the first food stop because those bars sound like what I think I got there.

• Advertisement

traprunner wrote: »
    You must have been late to the first food stop because those bars sound like what I think I got there.

Ya, some class o popcorn. Not the most nutritious I would've thought.
    They had nice bowls of pasta at the end to be fair.

Ya, some class o popcorn. Not the most nutritious I would've thought.
    They had nice bowls of pasta at the end to be fair.

I didn't even see the pasta at the end. Don't know what happened. I don't think it was even out for serving when I passed through.

traprunner wrote: »
    I didn't even see the pasta at the end. Don't know what happened. I don't think it was even out for serving when I passed through.

God you musta been ferocious fast

God you musta been ferocious fast

Or blind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I recall last year requiring riders to sign on the night before in Dublin, totally not worth it for that reason last year for me atleast as I planned to register online and just turn up on the morning to sign on as per usual with sportives, is it the same this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

100km took me 4hrs
    VCB plan to do this in sub 3hrs.*

I'd better inform the rest of the club about this spur of the moment decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

koutoubia wrote: »
    VCB plan to do this in sub 3hrs.*
    How large a team are you you entering?

I think the team numbers just halved after I let them know.

Just yourself so?

Ha Ha very good. I think there will be about 10 of us.

• Advertisement

Sub 3 hours is nice going.

I said we PLAN to do this sub 3 hrs.
    We also PLAN to stop at every open pub along the way and also head to 'The Hole In The Wall' pub for "recovery" liquids afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

This would have to be on the same weekend as Hell and Back. Doing both could be pushing it given the warnings my back gave me this week for pushing too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

This would have to be on the same weekend as Hell and Back.

...and the Rebel Tour and the Giant's Causeway.

So much cycling to do and so few weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CPDonn

Just registered for this.What is the parking like? Or do most cycle up to the start?...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

CPDonn wrote: »
    Just registered for this.What is the parking like? Or do most cycle up to the start?...

Big multistory across the river but I'd wager most would cycle up

I got an email. this morning from GDBR.
    Places are filling up.
    The jerseys are all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No under 16s allowed.

What the frick is going in the heads of the organisers of this event? There are 14 year olds coming over from Europe to compete (and they will be competitive!!!) in Rás na mBan in two weeks time, and yet cycling Ireland don't think under 16's would be up for an aul flat 60k spin around the suburbs of Dublin!!!:mad:

I just signed up for myself, and went to get two more entries for my two girls (who are CI members) and... computer says no, must be 16 or over.

:rolleyes: Fackin hell. :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Can anyone confirm if you have to sign on the night before, ie a trip to Dublin the night before?

So u16s are not allowed, idiotic in the extreme,i seen young lads and girls racing in our local league many times this year yet they allow people in with little to no experience :rolleyes: I know who id prefer to cycle along with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I wanted to do this last year and didn't because it's the day after Hell and Back... It falls exactly the same this year, I was going to do both but my body gave me an awful warning a couple of weeks ago that I was doing too much so I'm missing it again this year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement