Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Dcully wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if you have to sign on the night before, ie a trip to Dublin the night before?

So u16s are not allowed, idiotic in the extreme,i seen young lads and girls racing in our local league many times this year yet they allow people in with little to no experience :rolleyes: I know who id prefer to cycle along with.
    As far as I know, if you give someone a printout of your confirmation e-mail, they can sign you in and collect your pack. Should be covered in the FAQs though.

Mad not allowing U16s, particularly given it's a CI endorsed event.

In other news, I was reviewing the profile for the 100km route on RidewithGPS and the spikes are a little misleading. Nothing worse than Bray Head on that route!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I wanted to do this last year and didn't because it's the day after Hell and Back... It falls exactly the same this year, I was going to do both but my body gave me an awful warning a couple of weeks ago that I was doing too much so I'm missing it again this year

CSS seem to have organised a store cycle, whatever that's about, for the day before it as well. Surely a check of the calendar...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

CSS seem to have organised a store cycle, whatever that's about, for the day before it as well. Surely a check of the calendar...

In fairness to CSS - 7euro with breakfast and lunch included!!! I think I'll bring the kids on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

fat bloke wrote: »
    In fairness to CSS - 7euro with breakfast and lunch included!!! I think I'll bring the kids on that!

Hah fair call! I'm just jealous I can't do both! Kinda shows up the price of the GDBR though doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Hah fair call! I'm just jealous I can't do both! Kinda shows up the price of the GDBR though doesn't it.

Apples and oranges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Eponymous wrote: »
    Nothing worse than Bray Head on that route!

What do you mean by Bray Head? Is it the R761 (Windgates) road?

fjon wrote: »
    What do you mean by Bray Head? Is it the R761 (Windgates) road?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Is it possible to cycle over Bray head using Windgates route past the Bray cross and down to the promenade on a road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

traprunner wrote: »
    Is it possible to cycle over Bray head using Windgates route past the Bray cross and down to the promenade on a road bike?

The Windgates road doesn't really go up Bray Head, it's the road from Bray to Greystones. It's at the western foot of the mountain though and it's a little bit of a climb.
    There's no way you'd cycle up the head proper unless you had a mountain bike and serious stamina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

fjon wrote: »
    The Windgates road doesn't really go up Bray Head, it's the road from Bray to Greystones. It's at the western foot of the mountain though and it's a little bit of a climb.
    There's no way you'd cycle up the head proper unless you had a mountain bike and serious stamina.

Thanks for that. I would have found myself up there some day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

traprunner wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I would have found myself up there some day!

It's a lovely decent towards greystones. Pick up savage speed

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I have an entry into the 100km event is anybody want its. I think i registered early enough for the free jersey.
    Have to travel for work that weekend so not around.

ted1 wrote: »
    It's a lovely decent towards greystones. Pick up savage speed
    Yeah, it's a handy climb too from the Bray side so it's a nice payoff for relatively little effort, compared to say climbing from Kilmac on the road to Roundwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Has the Coast Road been resurfaced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Has the Coast Road been resurfaced yet?

The Howth road? I was out there at the weekend and it's like a MTB trail. Really awful surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I was also out that way over the weekend. The section from the wooden bridge to the causeway is a disaster. The right hand side (as the course takes it) is fenced off for the ongoing work. The left is a mix of various potholes, failed road, and failed repair, though the concrete section of it is a little better than the tarmac.

I queried this with GDBR on Facebook, out of concerns that the road will not be suitable for the event, being in a sorry state and open to traffic, and got the following response:
    Hi Robyn, we have met with the contractor working on this section of road and the road will be repaired in advance of the event with safety traffic measures also implemented for this section of the route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

what time does the 60k start?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

philstar wrote: »

Jeez. Go to the website http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/event/

08:351st Wave Start 60km

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

thanks

in my defence...event info link was obscured by the logo, didn't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Good that registration is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday this year. Means I can go on my way home from work and avoid town on Saturday. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's early days, but weather looking mixed for Sunday morning.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

philstar wrote: »

The 60's are the 3rd and 4th waves IIRC, which has them out from about 8:25, with the 100's at 8 and 8:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

onmebike wrote: »
    The Howth road? I was out there at the weekend and it's like a MTB trail. Really awful surface.

Small correction: You may be referring to Clontarf road, the one that goes through the coast.
    Howth road has been resurfaced a couple of years ago and is in good condition.

Unfortunately the race is going through Clontarf and as pointed out, it's looking like a MTB track!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had a read of the start procedure for Sunday and it sounds like moving cattle crossed with a jobsworth/ocd convention

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's early days, but weather looking mixed for Sunday morning.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/long.html

It will be shyte, according to Accuweather

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/dublin/207931/morning-weather-forecast/207931?day=6

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Just reading the participant info pdf and they've moved the main food stop on the 100km route.

It's now in Ballyboughal at around 38km. It was in Garristown last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Is this a mixture of quick & casual riders? I'm doing this with my son & I'd reckon we'll plod along at 16-18km/hr average and just treat it like a casual spin.

Ranjo wrote: »
    Is this a mixture of quick & casual riders? I'm doing this with my son & I'd reckon we'll plod along at 16-18km/hr average and just treat it like a casual spin.

It is being pushed as suitable for all. There will be a number of both fast and slow riders going out for it.

You may need to push along a little more than that, based on the Participant Info Booklet, to keep ahead of the pace cars.
    Due to commitments made to local councils, transport authorities and An Gardai Siochana all participants will be required to stay ahead of the pace car based on a minimum speed of 19 km/hr for both events.
    >The Pace Car for the 60km cycle will be dispatched from Smithfield 5 minutes after
    the final wave of the 60km has departed.
    >The Pace Car for the 100km cycle will be dispatched from Rathbeale Road, Swords 5
    minutes after the 10.00am cut off time.
    Both will travel at 19km/hr. Behind the Pace Cars will be a number of ‘Broom Wagons’
    (minibuses and vans) for those who cannot complete the course or have removed
    themselves from the event. These sweep vehicles will return back to Smithfield, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I was going to cycle in to pickup the bib/wristband on Saturday to Smithfield. Can you bring your bicycle into the marquee? Don't fancy leaving it outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Borderfox wrote: »
    I was going to cycle in to pickup the bib/wristband on Saturday to Smithfield. Can you bring your bicycle into the marquee? Don't fancy leaving it outside

I've asked them on Facebook in the last hour, will post here when I get a reply. The bus strike wrecked my plans to get the bus to work Thursday and collect it afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement