Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

how about parking for this event

should i chance the free collins barracks, or book ahead with Q car parks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Its sunday...free on street parking all day, so if youre there early should be plenty of spots not too far away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Can anyone based in Clontarf give an update on the state of the road there? Does it look likely to not kill a road bike on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

P_1 wrote: »
    Can anyone based in Clontarf give an update on the state of the road there? Does it look likely to not kill a road bike on Sunday?

I was on that section of the route again on Sunday. The road is still a mess, but the most difficult part of it was trying to avoid traffic. I did notice regular signage up from East Wall onwards warning motorists to expect delays 8:30-9:30 on the day. Maybe they will be putting in place a road closure to manage the cyclists through there?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

This is Ireland. Most the roads we cycle are in sh1t. Just get out enjoy the spin. Enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy the pain, enjoy the sense of accomplishment and Keep yourselve and those around you safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I cycled along the clontarf road tonight. It's in a heap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

8.30 is a damn early start :(

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

Early Forecasts have strong southerly winds with rain :(

how tough are the climbs on the 60k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

In the 60k the worst climb was the ramp of a bridge somewhere near enough to Abbotstown. I'm not sure where exactly as I am not familiar with that area. I didn't really notice anything else last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

alentejo wrote: »
    Early Forecasts have strong southerly winds with rain :(

PBs up to Snowtown and echelons from Garristown to finish :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

koutoubia wrote: »
    PBs up to Snowtown and echelons from Garristown to finish :D

100k in under 3 hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

RobFowl wrote: »
    100k in under 3 hours ;)
    Be rude not to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Some Food & Drink tips from GCN ....but none yet on how to deal with Wind & Rain..I am such a fair weather cyclist :o..but having lots of others out doing the same should help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I cycled along the clontarf road tonight. It's in a heap

I went this evening and ended up on the path for a bit of it as I was genuinely concerned I would buckle a wheel.

And I abhor people cycling on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

retalivity wrote: »
    Its sunday...free on street parking all day, so if youre there early should be plenty of spots not too far away

The only time I was ever clamped was on a Sunday and not too far from Smithfield. Always check the signs! :)

Last year I parked in the phonenix park and it was grand.

^^^^^^^^

how about collins barracks how far away is that from the venue??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

RobFowl wrote: »
    100k in under 3 hours ;)

3 hrs 14 mins last year.

All this talk of the 3 hour barrier. I'll be impressed if I get around in 4. Depending on the weather I may even be impressed if I just get around.

All this talk of the 3 hour barrier. I'll be impressed if I get around in 4. Depending on the weather I may even be impressed if I just get around.

This.

I'm going with friends and it's the longest day for one of them so we'll be taking it handy.

Otherwise would push myself. I did some of the route a few weeks ago & had a great day in the saddle so I'd be confident of doing well myself. But it's all about the social side this weekend. Considering getting an insulated water bottle to fill with coffee :pac:

• Advertisement

I'll be bloody chuffed to break 4 hours. Though the majority of my spins have been solo efforts about the 23-25kmh mark so it'll be interesting to see if group cycling speeds me up a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^

how about collins barracks how far away is that from the venue??

Only about a km I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was in Garristown and The Naul on Tuesday. There are roadworks in both villages. I don't think, either will cause any real problems, just be aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I did the route last Sunday. There is a new tarmac in Garristown, so only few hundred meters in Clontarf is still bad. But with 25mm tyres didn't feel any discomfort.

It seems like it's gonna be very wet cycle. I'm more worried about steep descents than bad road in Clontarf.

Fab! Warm (humid), windy and rainy!! No better weather for a cycle!! Whoop whoop.

Ah well, the idea of having one last sunny cycle was a nice one. I hope that the bad weather doesn't turn any new cyclists off cycling, and I hope that people stay safe out there on Sunday. If I remember correctly from last year it was pretty well marshalled, so hopefully they'll be able to point out the steep descents.

Would it be worth driving the course tomorrow or Saturday to have some clue of what is coming? Once we get past Swords it would all be new to me.

It is one thing seeing the course profile, but to see what it means in the real world is totally different.

Would it be worth driving the course tomorrow or Saturday to have some clue of what is coming? Once we get past Swords it would all be new to me.

It is one thing seeing the course profile, but to see what it means in the real world is totally different.

You could follow it on Streetview. It's a lovely cycle on good roads. Granted the part from Rathoath into town is a bit boring but at least its downhill.

P_1 wrote: »
    You could follow it on Streetview. It's a lovely cycle on good roads. Granted the part from Rathoath into town is a bit boring but at least its downhill.

That is indeed an option, and I have done parts of the route that way.

I guess I could always just follow the bike in front of me (unless they end up in a ditch, I'm not following them in there!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Did the dog last weekend in 24kph, a lot faster than i had anticipated. Aiming to do this in 27kph-ish, allowing for the conditions, so 3h 40m is the target

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement