Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    how about collins barracks how far away is that from the venue??
    Only about a km I would say.

will it be signposted? does it fill up quickly?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I would have hoped that at this stage the organisers would have updated the participants about the poor weather outlook and also the state of the Clontarf Road. Easier to take precautions when you know what you're in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Are there any limitations as to what bikes are allowed ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Don't think so, as long as you can tip along at an average of 19km/hr then you'll be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Don't think so, as long as you can tip along at an average of 19km/hr then you'll be ok.

That remain to be seen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Eamonnator wrote:
    3 hrs 14 mins last year.

Challenge accepted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    3 hrs 14 mins last year.
    you deserved a nice pie after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

brianomc wrote: »
    I've asked them on Facebook in the last hour, will post here when I get a reply. The bus strike wrecked my plans to get the bus to work Thursday and collect it afterwards.

They tweeted that you could cycle in to the marquee to pick up your pack

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Would it be worth driving the course tomorrow or Saturday to have some clue of what is coming? Once we get past Swords it would all be new to me.

It is one thing seeing the course profile, but to see what it means in the real world is totally different.

It was new to me last year and it's just nice countryside. Surprisingly so as I didn't know Meath had any hills! I'm a southsider, so that's my excuse.

In terms of what's coming, there's a few bits of hills but nothing crazy. If you look at the profile, nearly all of the climbing is finished by Garristown so I'll be pacing myself on the hills to have plenty left in the tank for the last 40km. The last 15km is practically all downhill too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

onmebike wrote: »
    It was new to me last year and it's just nice countryside. Surprisingly so as I didn't know Meath had any hills! I'm a southsider, so that's my excuse.

In terms of what's coming, there's a few bits of hills but nothing crazy. If you look at the profile, nearly all of the climbing is finished by Garristown so I'll be pacing myself on the hills to have plenty left in the tank for the last 40km. The last 15km is practically all downhill too.
    And when you say hills, they really are just little hills. I'm no climber, in fact I hate gravity, and I found the hills entirely doable on the route. Slow and steady. 700m gain over 100k is mainly just rolling hills. If you can do Howth (from the sutton side), none of the hills on the route will challenge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

sullivlo wrote: »
    And when you say hills, they really are just little hills. I'm no climber, in fact I hate gravity, and I found the hills entirely doable on the route. Slow and steady. 700m gain over 100k is mainly just rolling hills. If you can do Howth (from the sutton side), none of the hills on the route will challenge you.
    I love gravity. But only for the downhill bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Eponymous wrote: »
    I love gravity. But only for the downhill bits.

I descend like 110kg of lead. It's just ascending first does for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You have 7kg on me. Make it up the hill well before me or I'll be whizzing past you on the way down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Who's going to stop for a feed in Ballyboughal after a wind-assisted 38km?

I am. If for no other reason than to refill a bidon. Bit mad having the next/last one at 88km or so. At that point unless you were in dire need, would it be worth stopping?

Will there be water elsewhere along the course?

110kg. Pffft. Lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Will there be water elsewhere along the course?

Yes it will be pissing rain.

110kg. Pffft. Lightweight.

One year, eventually, I'll be one of those sinewy stick figure puncheurs. Definitely not this year, probably not next year, but one year.

Forecast is looking a bit better as we get closer.

• Advertisement

Forecast is looking a bit better as we get closer.

So it's gone from pissing rain to just raining?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AndyPandy123

Hi all,

So I have failed to register on time and now the window is closed. Does anyone have any ideas for me as to how I can take part?
    Have tried to contact the official Facebook page to no avail.
    Any help greatly appreciated!

So it's gone from pissing rain to just raining?

Yes and only from 8-9am according to accuweather. YR has no rain for wet until the evening. Neither are probably true.

Hi all,

So I have failed to register on time and now the window is closed. Does anyone have any ideas for me as to how I can take part?

Typically I've found them good for replying on FB, so maybe try them again.

If you are in town, sign on is on in Smithfield today from 4-8. You may be able to ask there.

That said, I think the window closed to allow all the paperwork be done up for sign on etc, and they were advertising that it was sold out, so you may be out of luck.

Yes and only from 8-9am according to accuweather. YR has no rain for wet until the evening. Neither are probably true.

Any weather improvement is welcome! Can we get a tailwind all the way around too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Hi all,

You could post in the Ads section here requesting GDBR ticket, by the end of the week someone will have a spare one no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AndyPandy123

Typically I've found them good for replying on FB, so maybe try them again.

If you are in town, sign on is on in Smithfield today from 4-8. You may be able to ask there.

That said, I think the window closed to allow all the paperwork be done up for sign on etc, and they were advertising that it was sold out, so you may be out of luck.

Cheers for that.
    Will pop down after work and chance my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

sullivlo wrote: »

That's it. I had to do it on my hybrid with a triple chainset last year due to a problem with my road bike. I couldn't shift to the smallest ring so did all the hills in a 42/25 or so and surprised myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Who's going to stop for a feed in Ballyboughal after a wind-assisted 38km?

I am. Going to treat the day as a slow spin and enjoy it all, including stopping for tea/ coffee.
    Agreed that 2nd stop at 86km is a bit redundant, but will probably stop there too I imagine :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hey Andy Pandy,

I have a ticket that i cant use as i have to go away for work on Saturday.
    Pm me if you are interested. Its for the 100km.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement