Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AndyPandy123

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Hey Andy Pandy,

I have a ticket that i cant use as i have to go away for work on Saturday.
    Pm me if you are interested. Its for the 100km.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Shouldnt be a problem bringing your bike when signing in for those that asked. It's not really indoors, more like the beer tent system at concerts. Worked well and busy enough already

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks ok weather wise up until about 11am before it picks up and makes things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

brianomc wrote: »
    Shouldnt be a problem bringing your bike when signing in for those that asked. It's not really indoors, more like the beer tent system at concerts. Worked well and busy enough already

Was there much to take away after signing up?
    I was going to go along this eve, but don't have rucksack, so was thinking I'd put the GDBR jersey on to cycle home, attach bike tags to bike, put cereal bars into jersey pockets and roll up jersey numbers and pins into jersey pockets?
    Does that sound do-able to you?
    Or should I just wait til tomorrow and bring backpack?

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Was there much to take away after signing up?
    I was going to go along this eve, but don't have rucksack, so was thinking I'd put the GDBR jersey on to cycle home, attach bike tags to bike, put cereal bars into jersey pockets and roll up jersey numbers and pins into jersey pockets?
    Does that sound do-able to you?
    Or should I just wait til tomorrow and bring backpack?

It all comes in a handy drawstring bag so you can just put that on your back. Maybe bring a plastic shopping bag to put the bits inside incase it rains. Although only the number is at risk of getting damaged.
    I just looked and there's a bottle of mouthwash inside the bag. Weirdest goodie bag item ever?

Edit: the bag feels reasonably water resistant. Apart from the small hole at the top but what can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I have an entry for the 60km route I won't be able to use as I just fractured my wrist today. Typical. PM if interested. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Looks like the forecast has improved a little for Sunday.

'The forecast for Sunday is a bit uncertain. It looks like rain will develop in the west, but the east may stay mainly dry.'

It all comes in a handy drawstring bag so you can just put that on your back. Maybe bring a plastic shopping bag to put the bits inside incase it rains. Although only the number is at risk of getting damaged.
    I just looked and there's a bottle of mouthwash inside the bag. Weirdest goodie bag item ever

Is the QR code required as when I printed mine out from my work PC, the QR code didn't print as it appears to have been stripped from the email?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Is the QR code required as when I printed mine out from my work PC, the QR code didn't print as it appears to have been stripped from the email?

They can scan it from your phone screen if you have a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

I didn't need it, just my number. I don't know if that was just the person checking me in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

I have an entry available for the 60km ride. Pm for details.

They can scan it from your phone screen if you have a smartphone.

Yeah I have my one on my phone but the one that I am doing for my friend also appears to have the barcode stripped out

I don't think they scanned mine either. It looked like he typed my number in on the device he had instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Scanned mine from my phone

Pretty random pack. Didn't get a jersey cause I was too late signing up.

* Decent drawstring bag
    * A small pack of Chia seeds and a voucher for more money off Chia seeds.
    * A packet of Nature valley crunch bars, which are nice but which are almost unchewable for me when on the bike with a dry mouth
    * decent t shirt
    * Chocolate and fudge Browney thing that was tasty (carb loading ;) )
    * bike + jersey number numbers with pins and cables ties.
    * A security braclet thing that I'm not sure the purpose of.
    * reflective armband thingey
    It seems quite well organised when I went there last night. Hopefully more of the same for event day.

Perfect so it looks like it is not essential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

ronoc wrote: »

* Decent drawstring bag
    * A packet of Nature valley crunch bars, which are nice but which are almost unchewable for me when on the bike with a dry mouth
    * decent t shirt

It seems quite well organised when I went there last night. Hopefully more of the same for event day.
    You need the bracelet thing to access the start/finish village for food etc. at the end, I believe.

Yeah, I can't imagine wanting to chow down on a Nature Valley bar when I'm cycling either, but maybe at a food stop washed down with water it mightn't be so bad...

Out of interest, what do people carry for the ride itself in terms of energy replenishment? Gels? Jellies? Bananas? I've never even tried an energy gel before, are they worth bothering with on a 4(ish) hour cycle?

ronoc wrote: »

* Decent drawstring bag
    * decent t shirt

You might need to wear and show the bracelet to get into food stops. If it's the paper one you are talking about and not the high-vis RSA armband. Did you get one of those? I got what you listed except one bar instead of a pack, high-vis armband and a sample of Listerine mouthwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Should I bring a bike lock? I was hoping not to, but I'm not sure what happens after the cycle. Is there a lockup for the bikes, or can you hang around with your bike eating you bowl of pasta?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Don't try a gel for the first time on a long spin. On some people they come straight back up. On others they result in rapid pooing.

I usually have a decent brekkie and then some form of food every 45 min to an hour. So a clif bar, a chocolate bar, a banana... I keep a supply of jellies open for a treat. I take advantage of the food stops too. It's odd for this one though. Food after 40 and then 90.

Make sure your bottles are full leaving the first food stop!

The bracelet is a security thing. You have your number on your jersey and your number on your bike, but they'll check your wristband when you're leaving to make sure the band, the jersey and the bike all belong to the same person (I don't know, on the off chance you steal someones number and then their bike).

Last year it was well organised logistically at the start and on the route. I'm sure this year will be no different.

And I'm perplexed by the listerine in the bag!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

fjon wrote: »
    Should I bring a bike lock? I was hoping not to, but I'm not sure what happens after the cycle. Is there a lockup for the bikes, or can you hang around with your bike eating you bowl of pasta?
    From the information booklet:
    There will be a secure participant bike park and baggage area in the event village, follow event signage on event morning. Bikes and baggage are left at owner’s risk, but will be checked in and checked out via a wristband system and managed by event security. The opening hours are restricted to when the Event is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bkgator

Hi

I haven entry for the 100km that I can use as away with work ,,,anyone interested PM me

B

You might need to wear and show the bracelet to get into food stops. If it's the paper one you are talking about and not the high-vis RSA armband. Did you get one of those? I got what you listed except one bar instead of a pack, high-vis armband and a sample of Listerine mouthwash.

Yeah forgot about the naff armband! but didn't get the mouth wash. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do we have the option of collecting the goody bag at the end ??

i don't want to be carrying it throughout the cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

fryup wrote: »
    do we have the option of collecting the goody bag at the end ??

i don't want to be carrying it throughout the cycle

Pretty sure you need to collect it today or sat before the race, as it is part of registration and have your number.

^^^^^^^^^^^

but i won't be there till sunday morning, i'm travelling up from the country

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Where and when do I sign on and collect my event pack?

Thursday, 8th September – Smithfield, Dublin

16:00 – 20:00 Sign on by event number, collection of bib numbers and jersey/t-shirt

Friday, 9th September – Smithfield, Dublin

16:00 – 20:00 Sign on by event number, collection of bib numbers and jersey/t-shirt

Saturday, 10th September – Smithfield, Dublin

12:00 – 16:00 Sign on by event number, collection of bib numbers and jersey/t-shirt

Know anyone in Dublin that owes you a favour?

oh i see, discrimination against culchies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

fryup wrote: »
    oh i see, discrimination against culchies

Well it is the Great Dublin Bike Ride, not the Great Ireland one. They have to discriminate against someone ;-)

• Advertisement

well any sportive i've been on you reg in the morning and collect your goody bag after the event...so why can't they do it here?

yes i know its a lot bigger but that option should be there for those travelling up from the sticks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement