Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dublin bike Ride 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I live in Drogheda.
    I was thinking of getting train to Connolly and then Luas to registration, this afternoon.
    With the bus strike, would this be a bit mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I live in Drogheda.
    I was thinking of getting train to Connolly and then Luas to registration, this afternoon.

I would have thought getting in to town would be okay. Getting to Smithfield depends on the time, and getting home would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I would have thought getting in to town would be okay. Getting to Smithfield depends on the time, and getting home would be a nightmare.

Thanks, I'll leave it 'til tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I live in Drogheda.

Will be perfectly fine, Luas may be cramped but it'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

fryup wrote: »
    well any sportive i've been on you reg in the morning and collect your goody bag after the event...so why can't they do it here?

yes i know its a lot bigger but that option should be there for those travelling up from the sticks
    There's no on-the-morning registration for the Ring of Kerry.

Realistically it's a logistical nightmare in Dublin to get 5000 cyclists on the road within an hour, so there's no way to add to the chaos to allow collection of packs. They've been pretty good at communicating that to people too.

Could you send your email to someone else to collect for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no no its alright,

i know when i'm not welcome, i'll take myself and my bike somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Perfect so it looks like it is not essential

Definitely not needed - They just took my number and put it into what I think was their own phones and I got my gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

And I'm perplexed by the listerine in the bag!!

To clean ones mouth out after getting sick from the Naul "Snowtown" Climb:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Unable to make Sunday due to doctors instructions so ticket available for 100km if someone needs one.

Sickened :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AndyPandy123

DominoDub wrote: »

My family home is right at the top of the snowtown climb so I've had many years to get used to it. The climb from the clintstown side to get to snowtown is vomit inducing though, absolutely barbaric.

• Advertisement

All short punchy climbs in the 100km by the look of it. No real long drags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

DominoDub wrote: »
    I thought the worst climb was compared to Howth head (from Sutton), which isn't too bad - were they lying? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Weather forecast has got better the last few days with rain holding off until late in the day but it is Looking like the climbs should be wind assisted :cool:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ronoc wrote: »
    All short punchy climbs in the 100km by the look of it. No real long drags?
    i certainly don't know all of the route, but there's a longish one north out of ballyboughal, past hollywood lakes golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The climb into Garristown could be pleasant with that wind forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

I know all the climbs and did it last year. For most levels, especially if you can do 100km, there is little to fear if you take it easy.

The long one towards Naul from Ballyboughal is essentially three very manageable ramps. Snowtown is slightly sharp but quite short. Ardcath to Garristown is a bit of a drag - if you're hill averse like me you'll huff and puff but you'll get up and over.

It's not a climbers circuit at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the route approaches garristown from the north, with a southerly wind forecast.

Snowtown is slightly sharp but quite short.

Similar to Knockmaroon out of Chapelizod?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Agreed. After reading posts about Snowtown I did worry, so looked at it on Streetview (along with the whole section from the food stop to Garristown). Not too worried now.

if memory serves, not as steep as knockmaroon, but quite a bit longer.

• Advertisement

Sign on sorted. Took 45 seconds. They're on the ball there!

if memory serves, not as steep as knockmaroon, but quite a bit longer.

Thanks.
    Bit frazzled today, my Good bike was stolen from garden shed last week, which left me with the commuter for doing the 100km.
    Not ideal, but will give it a go.
    After I collected my registration pack from Smithfield last night I came off my commuter on the slippy, wet Luas tracks outside James'. Really, really hurt :(
    Today I have bruised, cut and swollen feet, knees, cuts to leg and a bent handlebar.
    My OH thinks there's a message there that I shouldn't be cycling.
    Not a chance.
    I could cycle to work this morning, have had bike mended and am going to do the 100km Sunday - whatever the weather :p
    I've had so many back issues over the last three years, and now my back is finally doing well - I'm doing this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

For those non climbers like me...Snowtown can be divided into 3 sections.
    1) You actually have a small descent to the bottom. You then have the first ramp which takes out all the rhythm from your descent goes up quite sharply for a short bit.
    2) The road opens up to great views to your right and the road stays at a nice steady gradient.
    3)Then just before the top (mental note as you approach the left hand bend and a house on your right) it gives a little kick but its shortish enough the the top appears.

I would be more worried about the descent tbh.Steep with a nasty left hander halfway down.
    Almost guaranteed to have some muppet descending on the crossbar ala Froome's impersonation of a frog on a skateboard at Le Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Not usually on here during the weekend, so best of luck to everyone doing the GDBR and thanks to everyone for the advice and tips about the course and general info! Undecided about what jersey to wear, so I may wear my Boards one!

Looking forward to reading the "Tell us about your ride today" thread on Sunday night and Monday!

koutoubia wrote: »
    I would be more worried about the descent tbh.Steep with a nasty left hander halfway down.
    Almost guaranteed to have some muppet descending on the crossbar ala Froome's impersonation of a frog on a skateboard at Le Tour.

Are you telling me I am not allowed to descend like that? Killjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Still have a 60kn entry available

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Are you telling me I am not allowed to descend like that? Killjoy ;)

If you are not familiar with this section of road then please be careful. The descent shoots you down at a good speed and the bend comes on very sharp. Club mates who know this area well have over shot it.

Luxman wrote: »
    If you are not familiar with this section of road then please be careful. The descent shoots you down at a good speed and the bend comes on very sharp. Club mates who know this area well have over shot it.

Don't worry, I'm not *that* crazy. I know that sometimes it is better to reel myself in, even on roads that I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Luxman wrote: »

Indeed. Google street view doesn't even come close to indicating the steepness of the descent and how quickly you come onto that corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Jesus, I hate their registration system. I don't work near town and didn't have any friends to pop over and register me (like they have nothing better to do) so now I have to head into town tomorrow for this silly 5 minute job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement