Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Salary Expectations

Options
  • 03-06-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for advice on declaring salary expectations.

During a brief initial interview, I was asked my salary expectations and it caught me off guard, so I said a figure but there wasn't much research done on it (ideally I should have said that!).

Anyway, I've gone through the various different stages and now i've been told it is going to move to an offer, which is great.

However i'm just worried about the salary offer, my initial figure I gave turned out to be on the low side, from research and asking around, I should be asking for a good bit more.

How should I bring this up? A direct email to HR before I receive the official offer, or after?

Would this change their offer, i'm also worried that the reason they might have gone with me is because I said a lower salary, so asking for more might jeopardise the offer?!

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Salary1111 wrote: »

During a brief initial interview, I was asked my salary expectations and it caught me off guard, so I said a figure but there wasn't much research done on it (ideally I should have said that!).

Anyway, I've gone through the various different stages and now i've been told it is going to move to an offer, which is great.

However i'm just worried about the salary offer, my initial figure I gave turned out to be on the low side, from research and asking around, I should be asking for a good bit more.

How should I bring this up? A direct email to HR before I receive the official offer, or after?

Would this change their offer, i'm also worried that the reason they might have gone with me is because I said a lower salary, so asking for more might jeopardise the offer?!

Any help would be great.

Can you explain what they meant by going to offer?

From my experience, i would always have a figure when i go to interview in case it comes up. If you don't, you can sidestep it by saying that your looking for a "Competitive package or something similar"

Regarding offer, when HR ring to make the offer, then you have time to negotiate on salary. They offer X, you reply "i was hoping for something in the region of Y" You can always say, based on the industry norm etc etc if you have some research to back it up if you get push back. Everything is negotiable, salary, job title, AL. Flexi time depending on who the company is.

When the offer happens is the time to negotiate. After that its up to you how hard you push it.

Ill give you an example. I was offered a role recently, rang me with offer, mentioned salary increase, i took this moment to say i was looking for more in the region of Y Salary, i realise its a big increase but this is what the industry standard for my role is. He took it away and came back with agreement but it fell through at Y in the end and reverted back to X Salary which i declined and that was that.

So, in short, you can always ask and make your case, be prepared for the various scenarios, whats the min ull accept for the job, if they come back at original, if they come back somewhere in the middle, if they accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Salary1111 wrote: »

Any help would be great.

Sit tight and wait until they make a formal offer, then if you're not happy with the pay you can negotiate. Take no notice of what you said in the interview, its not binding.
    If you act too soon they may not bother offering you a position at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Say nothing yet. Wait until you've a formal letter of offer (always ask for a letter of offer, especially if you're leaving a job to take a new one!), and then if unhappy, negotiate.

Advertisement