Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No rte1 on Saorview

• 03-06-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Ok so ive cancelled sky for the summer as no one really watches TV from June - Sept. I done an automatic channel scan on my tv ( It is saorview approved and is connected to an antenna in attic). After the scan is completed the channels i get are (2)Rte2 HD (3)TV3 (4)TG4 (5)3e (21)Rte News Now plus the usual radio channels. These are all crystal clear and of excellent quality. Any ideas why i dont even have a channel (1) or rte1?

Any help greatly appricated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ok so ive cancelled sky for the summer as no one really watches TV from June - Sept. I done an automatic channel scan on my tv ( It is saorview approved and is connected to an antenna in attic). After the scan is completed the channels i get are (2)Rte2 HD (3)TV3 (4)TG4 (5)3e (21)Rte News Now plus the usual radio channels. These are all crystal clear and of excellent quality. Any ideas why i dont even have a channel (1) or rte1?

Any help greatly appricated!
    Thanks

RTE1HD/RTE1+1/UTV Ireland are all on a different mux than the other Saorview channels. You could do a manual scan - check transmitter you're picking signal from and put in Ch. no. of mux carrying these channels. If that doesn't work you may need to realign your aerial or even try to boost the signal to pull in channels you're not receiving at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

RTE1HD/RTE1+1/UTV Ireland are all on a different mux than the other Saorview channels. You could do a manual scan - check transmitter you're picking signal from and put in Ch. no. of mux carrying these channels. If that doesn't work you may need to realign your aerial or even try to boost the signal to pull in channels you're not receiving at present.

Try doing a manual scan by finding something in the TV menu that lets you put in 514000. It should be one of the options near the automatic channel scan. The other channels (RTE 2 etc. are coming in on 490000).

Those frequencies are if you are actually in Waterford- North Waterford is definitely on those frequencies anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

daraghwal wrote: »
    Try doing a manual scan by finding something in the TV menu that lets you put in 514000. It should be one of the options near the automatic channel scan. The other channels (RTE 2 etc. are coming in on 490000).

Those frequencies are if you are actually in Waterford- North Waterford is definitely on those frequencies anyway.

Im in Cavan/Monaghan and RTE 1 HD has been off since about 9.45 this morning and I have tried all day to retune it but no luck-RTE 2, TV3 TG4 are all coming in but I know they are on a different freq...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

muincav wrote: »
    Im in Cavan/Monaghan and RTE 1 HD has been off since about 9.45 this morning and I have tried all day to retune it but no luck-RTE 2, TV3 TG4 are all coming in but I know they are on a different freq...:mad:

Maybe this is what's affecting you? Got this from the saorview website

03 May 2016

The transmitter network operator 2RN has advised that due to essential engineering work, transmitter outages may occur in some areas. This work may result in temporary impairment or interruption to services on the SAORVIEW platform.

Truskmore, Sligo
    Due to essential engineering work, our Truskmore transmitter will be subject to an outage of up to 60 minutes between 09:30 and 14:00 on 31st May 2016. This work may interrupt reception of some channels, if affected please do not adjust your Saorview box or TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Maybe this is what's affecting you? Got this from the saorview website

03 May 2016

The transmitter network operator 2RN has advised that due to essential engineering work, transmitter outages may occur in some areas. This work may result in temporary impairment or interruption to services on the SAORVIEW platform.

Truskmore, Sligo
    Due to essential engineering work, our Truskmore transmitter will be subject to an outage of up to 60 minutes between 09:30 and 14:00 on 31st May 2016. This work may interrupt reception of some channels, if affected please do not adjust your Saorview box or TV.
    Thanks daraghwal...
    Just got it re-tuned..wasnt actually my tv but my elderly dads and to hear him about missing the news was priceless...lol....cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Im in Cavan/Monaghan and RTE 1 HD has been off since about 9.45 this morning and I have tried all day to retune it but no luck ...

Probably a fault at Cairn Hill. I receive from the Monaghan transmitter, which relays Cairn Hill AFAIA. Had good signal for mux 2 (RTE 1 etc.) but blank screen.

Either that or a wider programme feed issue, but there'd probably be more posts if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm in Waterford, yeah I go into channel install- 5 options are automatic search, automatic update (I've tried them) Analog Manual scan, Air manual installation & clear channel list. I've tried putting the code (514.00 note only 5 figures) into the latter and it dosent pick up any extra channels

Thanks again

... I go into channel install- 5 options are automatic search, automatic update (I've tried them) Analog Manual scan, Air manual installation & clear channel list. I've tried putting the code (514.00 note only 5 figures) into the latter and it dosent pick up any extra channels.

Yeah, as has been pointed out already, poor signal is the problem, & no amount of manual tuning will fix that.

If you can't spot an obvious fault like a dodgy connection or cable, you could try moving the aerial to different locations in the attic (generally higher is better, & looking through roof rather than wall, certainly avoid anything metal or containing water where the aerial is 'looking'), or it might have to go outside to get a good enough signal.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Probably a fault at Cairn Hill. I receive from the Monaghan transmitter, which relays Cairn Hill AFAIA. Had good signal for mux 2 (RTE 1 etc.) but blank screen.

Either that or a wider programme feed issue, but there'd probably be more posts if that was the case.

Having this issue again now, mux 2 blank, but still with usual signal figures showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thurston? wrote: »
    Having this issue again now, mux 2 blank, but still with usual signal figures showing.

If it's an on going issue might be worth reporting it
    To report a reception problem in your area please phone 01 2082259 or email nmc@2rn.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

Hi,
    Just bought a Strong Set top box for Saorview.
    All channels have scanned in except for RTE 1 and RTE +1
    Any help welcome on how to fix this?
    I'm near Ennis in Clare, transmitter is Maghera.

Thankyou,

Órlaith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

orlaithd12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just bought a Strong Set top box for Saorview.
    All channels have scanned in except for RTE 1 and RTE +1
    Any help welcome on how to fix this?
    I'm near Ennis in Clare, transmitter is Maghera.

Thankyou,

laith.

Try adjusting the aerial or rescanning.

Try adjusting the aerial or rescanning.

Hi, I've tried rescanning and nothing.... Can I change a frequency or something?

Hi, I've tried rescanning and nothing.... Can I change a frequency or something?

Where is your aerial located, indoor or outdoor?

The Cush wrote: »
    Where is your aerial located, indoor or outdoor?

In the attic. Up to today we just used the aerial, no set top box, but lately the channels, especially RTE1 have been really bad, very pixellated, ir no signal.
    So I thought the box would sort it, it hasn't!!

In the attic. Up to today we just used the aerial, no set top box, but lately the channels, especially RTE1 have been really bad, very pixellated, ir no signal.
    So I thought the box would sort it, it hasn't!!

I assume there was no issues until recently?
    What type of aerial have you in the attic?

Maybe the signal reception was borderline until now, if so what has tipped it over the edge? Has anything changed in the attic that might affect the signal, has the aerial been moved, how are the connections between aerial and TV?

I assume Maghera is your transmitter, I know the frequencies for Saorview are changing from Sept, is there any reduction in signal strength from that transmitter due to maintenance?

I assume there was no issues until recently?
    What type of aerial have you in the attic?

Maybe the signal reception was borderline until now, if so what has tipped it over the edge? Has anything changed in the attic that might affect the signal, has the aerial been moved, how are the connections between aerial and TV?

I assume Maghera is your transmitter, I know the frequencies for Saorview are changing from Sept, is there any reduction in signal strength from that transmitter due to maintenance?
    I'll have to check the aerial as you suggested and see if anything has changed.. Can I ask why its only RTE 1 and RTE +1 that aren't there?

Can I ask why its only RTE 1 and RTE +1 that aren't there?

RTÉ One and RTÉ One+1 together with RTÉ2 +1, Virgin Media 3, RTÉ Junior, are carried on a single frequency called PSB-MUX-2 which is UHF Ch. 55 (746 MHz) from Maghera.

As only Mux 2 is affected I assume it's an aerial or cable or connector issue. Check for anything affecting aerial reception in the attic or readjust aerial position/direction. Use the Saorview coverage checker to see which transmitter is recommended for your location and the direction it should be pointing - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

RTÉ One and RTÉ One+1 together with RTÉ2 +1, Virgin Media 3, RTÉ Junior, are carried on a single frequency called PSB-MUX-2 which is UHF Ch. 55 (746 MHz) from Maghera.

As only Mux 2 is affected I assume it's an aerial or cable or connector issue. Check for anything affecting aerial reception in the attic or readjust aerial position/direction. Use the Saorview coverage checker to see which transmitter is recommended for your location and the direction it should be pointing - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

Thanks so much for that... My husband will go up later and check it, online compass might be needed!!! 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It could be high pressure co channel interference causing it in the last week either from a visiting far away transmitter

Also Once you do successfully tune in and actually get mux 2,turn off auto tuning or auto epg updates on the TV or set top box
    Its possible a visiting RTE mux could over ride maghera leaving itself tuned on your TV when it fades away
    That could happen in just a couple of hours at any time when you are not there

• Advertisement
Advertisement