Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs without tvs/noise in South Dublin?

Options
  • 03-06-2016 6:58pm

About 15 of us would like to meet up but we're at a loss where we could find a pub in South Dublin (i.e. anywhere in the county south of the Liffey) which will not drown out our conversations with "background" tvs and loud music.

Would anybody have recommendations? Grma/thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

This is a great new pub in Dun Laoghaire. I can't actually swear that there is no back-ground music, but if there is it is not in your face & 'ear!

You could ring ahead and book a section too. They provide board games & do a small selection of food with a great selection of beer and wines. Perfect I would imagine for what you are looking for and would be delighted to get your business.

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/beertraders/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Any Wetherspoons, they have no background music or sport on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Byrne's in Galloping Green is perfect. There is a TV, but it's specifically for big occasions only. Just on the N11 past Stillorgan. Easy bus access if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kingp35 wrote: »

Last time I was in the JDW place in Blackrock for a bite in the early afternoon, they had the RTE news channel on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Nearys, Peter's Pub both in town

Duff's Pub in Bray, cycling pub. Beautiful bar. No TVs. No music generally either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

think in the UK they keep the sound off, but matches are definitely shown here, you can see it on their various facebook pages.

I have no been myself but friends have and if the sound was off I reckon they would have said it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern/photos/a.732572413448708.1073741828.723713404334609/981338891905391/?type=3&theater

deffo sound here
    https://www.facebook.com/thegreatwoodjdw/photos/a.1102293353131345.1073741829.1024337560926925/1190807887613224/?type=3&theater

The Great Wood
    Like This Page · January 29 ·

Can't come quick enough. We'll be showing all the matches LIVE & LOUD on our screens!

Save the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

One in Blackrock has a TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

DL has a tv too with RTE News Now usually on but sound is generally off. Not sure if they show big sporting events but I assume so.

O'Donoghues - as long as you don't arrive during a seisiún..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Corrigan's/Mountpleasant Inn, in between Rathmines and Ranelagh, haven't been there in a while but the staff hated noise off the few old tvs. Nice for a peaceful read the Sunday paper few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

McKenna's in Dun Laoghaire, back of the hospital, just had a nice subtle renovation, conversation is the core of what its all about...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Larbre34 wrote: »
    McKenna's in Dun Laoghaire, back of the hospital, just had a nice subtle renovation, conversation is the core of what its all about...

They definitely have a TV though (in the lounge anyway, never actually set foot in the bar) as I've watched a few games there. Do like the renovation plus the fact they had Kinnegar Rustbucket and Sierra Nevada on tap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the OP did not have a totally strict no music or no tv rule, just not drowned out.
    Fuaranach wrote: »
    which will not drown out our conversations with "background" tvs and loud music.

plenty of pubs can have music at a good reasonable level, I do not particularly like completely silent pubs, but prefer them over ones too loud. If I have to keep asking people to repeat themselves I have an issue, but many are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rubadub wrote: »
    the OP did not have a totally strict no music or no tv rule, just not drowned out.

plenty of pubs can have music at a good reasonable level, I do not particularly like completely silent pubs, but prefer them over ones too loud. If I have to keep asking people to repeat themselves I have an issue, but many are fine.

Good point. There are lots of pubs with TVs but which show sport for those who want to watch it with the sound turned down low or completely muted. The Purty Kitchen in DL serves food and IIRC their TV when it's on is usually at a low volume so that the people eating at the tables by the front windows or near the steps to the toilets aren't bothered by the commentary.

Advertisement