Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake disc and pads replacement

Options
  • 03-06-2016 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, the front brake pads and disc on my Ford Focus 2004 need replacement. Got a quote of 260 from a local garage. But the parts are available for just €80 online on irishautoparts and autofastfit. Would it be cheaper to buy online and get them fitted at the garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Just ask them how much is the parts out of the €260, then ask would they mind if you supply the parts yourself, some places say yes and some places say no. Then make your mind up, also you have to compare brands, some of the cheaper brands of parts are cheaper for a reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

That seems expensive. I got my pads and disks changed on my 2004 Octavia vrs for €230 in a Skoda main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,306 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pads and discs for €80 doesn't sound right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Pads and discs for €80 doesn't sound right at all.

It doesn't indeed.

You can get top class TRW discs and pads for less than that from mister-auto.
    http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/ford-focus-daw-dbw-1-4-16v-75hp_v9639.html

You can also get cheaper ones for less than 2/3 of that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Need a breakdown of the quote to see if it's unusually high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Very expensive. Any backstreet garage should not charge more than €100 labour for that on top of parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Four pads for front is usually 35-50 euro.
    A pair of discs are 50 euro or so.
    Change time, maybe 30 mins. Another 50 euro
    So in all 150 (prob a bit more) for front discs and pads.

It depends a lot on the brand used and how upscale the garage is.

Learn to do it yourself and save your money for beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Just be careful of some of the discs on sale out there,some are rubbish and they may well warp and you could end up doing them again.

I would go with those trw ones,decent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ashgg1

Update: got both front pads and disc replaced for 120 euro including labour charges at a different garage. 70 for parts, 50 for labour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, did they tell you what brand parts they used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ashgg1

They did, but i can't remember the brand name. They suggested to get the pads checked (and replace if needed) every 1.5 years. and that the discs should last 3 years at least with regular city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ashgg1 wrote: »
    They did, but i can't remember the brand name. They suggested to get the pads checked (and replace if needed) every 1.5 years. and that the discs should last 3 years at least with regular city driving.

Depends on your driving patterns, it's ridiculous to suggest that the same formula should apply to everyone, ditto for tyres.

Wouldn't the wear on the discs depend on how many pads you've replaced - shouldn't each disc last for 2, 3 or 4 (more?) pads?

I would be accused of lunacy if I said how many kms are on my car but I'm still on the original pads and discs. Every time I get it serviced they assure me that the pads won't last until the next service, they started telling me that three years ago and I'm still waiting for the wear sensor light to come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

ashgg1 wrote: »
    Update: got both front pads and disc replaced for 120 euro including labour charges at a different garage. 70 for parts, 50 for labour :)
    Sounds very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

dodzy wrote: »
    Sounds very cheap

Hope people don't mind me reviving this thread.
    Have just got a quote of €605 to do front and back pads as well as front and back discs. It's a vauxhall insignia Sri. Am shocked at the difference to some prices here but not sure what brand they are quoting me..
    I'm sure I can get decent brands done cheaper though..

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

UsBus wrote: »
    Hope people don't mind me reviving this thread.
    Have just got a quote of €605 to do front and back pads as well as front and back discs. It's a vauxhall insignia Sri. Am shocked at the difference to some prices here but not sure what brand they are quoting me..
    I'm sure I can get decent brands done cheaper though..

Go onto mister auto.ie or micksgarage and it will give you an idea of the parts prices and go from there......

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Got pad and discs all round from EuroCarParts last week, they had a 30% off all items and delivery via DHL was £3.99 to ROI.

Ended up with decent quality brake pads and discs (pagid) for very decent money - especially compared to what main dealers are looking for them!

For OP's car you can get a set of front and rear pads and discs from mister-auto (TRW brand so very good imo) for about €250.

Garage offering parts and labour for over €600 is total ripoff IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CiniO wrote: »
    For OP's car you can get a set of front pads and discs from mister-auto (TRW brand so very good imo) for about €250.

Garage offering parts and labour for over €600 is total ripoff IMO.

His €600 quote was for front and rear.

His €600 quote was for front and rear.

My mistake. Price I quoted was also for full set (front and rear).

Advertisement