Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing a plant through security

Options
  • 03-06-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Are you allowed bring a plant through security?

It's ok with Customs, I checked, just wondered if the security will allow a live plant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,569 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How big will it be? Have you any documentation to say what plant it is? Is country non EU that you are planning on bringing it to? Are there any thorns or other hazardous parts to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Just a small plant. No documentation. It's from my garden. No, it's to England. As I said, Customs is ok with it - I just want to know will it get through Security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Just a small plant. No documentation. It's from my garden. No, it's to England. As I said, Customs is ok with it - I just want to know will it get through Security.

Anything "woody" must have a plant passport. (Trees, Azalea etc)

Annuals are not a problem. If its in a pot you may need to prove there is no risk of it carrying New Zealand Flatworms.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Anything "woody" must have a plant passport. (Trees, Azalea etc)

Annuals are not a problem. If its in a pot you may need to prove there is no risk of it carrying New Zealand Flatworms.

I don't think Security is worried about flatworms.... but I may be mistaken :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I don't think Security is worried about flatworms.... but I may be mistaken :D

Flatworms are a major, major problem. Destroyed many a plant nursery, including the one I once worked on in Scotland.

Shut down and all stock destroyed.

• Advertisement

Flatworms are a major, major problem. Destroyed many a plant nursery, including the one I once worked on in Scotland.

I'm a gardener. I know.

I just don't want my plant - a present - taken off me at security, along with other people's shampoo and Coke bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,403 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Security are worried about IED's, guns, knives and the like and to enforce all the aviation security regs. They have no interest in flatworms and further more would not have the expertise to identify one or even one plant from another most likley. It will need to go through the x-ray however so as long as it fits you should be grand.

Strumms wrote: »
    Security are worried about IED's, guns, knives and the like and to enforce all the aviation security regs. They have no interest in flatworms and further more would not have the expertise to identify one or even one plant from another most likley. It will need to go through the x-ray however so as long as it fits you should be grand.

Thank you! Phew!

And I can report that the plant got through no problem!

Advertisement