Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre Question

Options
  • 03-06-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi, I have a giant defy 4 2011 that I havn't used for a couple of years
    but am planning to dust off shortly. The thing is , I live in a rural
    area and the first part of my planned training spin is along
    about a mile of lousy road. Pot holes, patchy
    tarmac and stones all over the place.
    It's ok on my 'hybrid' bike which has 35mm
    tires so I'm wondering about putting wider
    tires on my road bike.
    Any thoughts on suitable tires for my needs?
    Help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Chances are the widest tyre you'll fit on the Defy are 28mm and that only if you have no mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ODubhain82

Thanks for the reply.
    Would there be much difference
    between a 25 and a 28 from the
    point of view of rough roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

If you can fit them to your bike, on old broken up and ripply surfaces a 28mm tyre makes a world of difference. Typically a 23mm tyre would be inflated to about 110psi where a 28mm would be maybe about 80psi (that's what I'm at anyway). That allows a fair bit of shock absorbtion in the tyre. Going downhill on the surface you're talking about on 23mm/110psi tyres isn't a pleasant experience either whereas I find you have a lot more control and confidence (speed) on the 28mm tyre.

Cool. Good to know it'll be worth
    changing. Any recomendations on
    which 28 to go for and where to get
    them? Based near Athlone.

Chainreaction have plenty of choice and deliver within a few days. If you're not going to be racing or anything mad then you can't go wrong with the Shwalbe Durano Plus. Don't get Gatorskins. They're rubbish on the type of surface you're talking about (scary in the wet)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Tyre.

I know, copped it after I posted. Bugging me too.

tigerboon wrote: »
    Chainreaction have plenty of choice and deliver within a few days. If you're not going to be racing or anything mad then you can't go wrong with the Shwalbe Durano Plus. Don't get Gatorskins. They're rubbish on the type of surface you're talking about (scary in the wet)
    Cheers. I'll check them out.

tigerboon wrote: »
    Cheers. I'll check them out.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/vittoria-zaffiro-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod31769

These are the same brand and model as the bike has at the moment and available in 28mm but I'm not sure if they're clincher or tubular. Clinchers on bike at the moment and I'd like to stick with them.
    I know they're cheapos but I havent had any issues with my current ones other than they're a bit skinny for the rough stuff.
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

You still don't know if 28s will fit your bike and you're happy enough with this tyre already so at that price they're worth a punt

Exactly. Not keen on spending more than necessary without knowing for sure how tight they'll be.
    They're only for a bit of fittness/ weightloss anyway. If I wear them out I'll be amazed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ODubhain82 wrote: »
    I know, copped it after I posted. Bugging me too.

Sorted ;)

Advertisement