Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

27 provisional licence, what can I ride?

• 03-06-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys, so I'm in Spain and have bought a 1983 Yamaha XJ 650 custom because I absolutely loved it and don't mind waiting to ride it.

Moving home in 3 weeks and am wondering will I be able to ride it on the provisional licence?

Any help is much appreciated. Had a Google and could see there seems to be no restriction but hard to get the facts online.

Thanks in advance

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jmadden89 wrote: »
    Hi guys, so I'm in Spain and have bought a 1983 Yamaha XJ 650 custom because I absolutely loved it and don't mind waiting to ride it.

Moving home in 3 weeks and am wondering will I be able to ride it on the provisional licence?

Any help is much appreciated. Had a Google and could see there seems to be no restriction but hard to get the facts online.

Thanks in advance

J

Once restricted yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jmadden89

Thanks, what must it be restricted too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you have the A learner permit then no restriction required.

I don't have a permit yet Pugzilla but I can get the A one yes? I've been out of the country travelling for last 3 years so completely out of the loop.

Also Vrt won't be an issue as the bike is 33 years old but thanks.

Would upload an image for context but can't seem to do it on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you're over 24 years old then you can get the A category.

That link was great Del thanks, I was looking on the citizens info one. That's much clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Doesn't matter how old the bike is, you have to own it for 6 months.

You'll also need to do IBT if you're getting an A learner permit. After that you can ride anything you can insure without restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how old the bike is, you have to own it for 6 months.
    That's only for VRT exemption.

Not your ornery onager

I've owned it since November so all good here.

Thanks all you made my weekend. I expected a long wait to get it out in Irish roads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jmadden89 wrote: »
    I've owned it since November so all good here.

Thanks all you made my weekend. I expected a long wait to get it out in Irish roads!

Practice the Theory test before you come back and try to get an appointment for as soon as you are back.

http://www.theorytest.ie/online-test-preparation-resource/

Once you pass book an appointment for your permit and once you have that get your IBT done

https://www.ndls.ie/index.php

All going well you should be on the road in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Its VRT exempt, as its over 30 years old.
    Read the post I replied to.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement