Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanning Advice

Options
  • 04-06-2016 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Folks.

I need to scan an Old Postcard for a client - similar to this one:

?width=500&version=2140571

I'm looking for advice to see how i could enlarge it near A1 size... without it turning in to a smudge.

I realise i will not be getting a photographic quality outcome - not expecting it, as the cards print quality itself it's great. Basically looking to obtain the best result possible.

So what do you guys advise?

- Scan at 600 dpi and then reduce to 300 dpi using PS?

- Maybe convert scanned image to Halftone to enlarge without losing as much quality?

- Then when enlarged maybe remove the Halftone with a bit of PS trickery: A bit of Gaussian Blur to merge the dots. Apply some Unsharp Mask. Re-sample to remove blurriness. Curves Adjustment to add some contrast?

Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

I usually scanned at the highest resolution I could with out interpolation.
    This is the maximum amount of data you can get. The scan at this point can look pretty awful depending on the method used to print the card.
    Any processing beyond this, although it might make the image look better, actually removes data.
    If you are swapping between programs to process the image do not use jpeg or lossy compression to save the file.
    Next I would apply just enough Gaussian blur to remove any patterning that the scanning caused.
    This is then your base for further processing, save it and then use copies for further test processing, light/dark, contrast, gamma etc. until you get the effect you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

A1 is a major rescale from A6 (x5) so likely it will need a dab of retouching, small clone/stamp or just airbrushing.

Worth deciding from the getgo if you want to keep it vintage sepia,
    / else set a i)white ii)black point and optimise the grey curve.

Personally a good high-contrast b&w, mounted on acid-free white board on black frame would be a good reslt.
    Glass will also help it to 'pop'.

Obviously clean the scanner glass to remove any dust. The 'noise & dust' auto removal psd tool can be handy for small specs
    but will may remove some data so needs an air of caution with it.

Advertisement