Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coming to terms with becoming a waif to be healthy (AKA: Short Man Syndrome)

• 04-06-2016 8:45am

So, I'm 162cm (that's 5'3 in American traditional), and I decided to look up what my BMI should be. Based on various BMI calculations, that equates to being around the 58-65kg mark (105-140lbs in stupid traditional). To me, that sounds low. I remember when I worked construction having to lift 20kg buckets of tar before,and the idea of being only three of those just feels less than what a man lifting and hauling should be.

But, seeing as there's bodies out there with far, far bigger imperfections than mine, inhabited by far, far happier people, then I'm going to put up & get there. I understand big portions are out. I don't mind eating like a rodent anyways, surviving on little is something I have done before and can do again. I don't want a lean runner's physique, nor the bulky arnie one. I'm less enamoured with how I look than what I can do. I hauled 20 kg buckets a few hundred metres at a time (it was bridge work) for hours on end, and I could haul 40kg about a hundred metres at a stretch before having to set them down. I'm happy to lose the weight (currently north of 70kgs, estimate without scales), but I want to keep the function, or improve on it. Pushing, pulling, hauling, carrying, rowing, cycling, I want functional lifting ability, not just barbell feats of strength.

Question is though, what changes for people of my size? I already have to make a trip to the tailor's every single time I buy a pair of pants, because no one does 28' leg. I'd say "normal" sized portions, incorrectly spaced apart, would just put it around my belly. Am I right?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Nothing changes.

Your metabolism doesn't know or care how tall you are.

You eat in line with kcal requirements for your size. If you are heavily muscled (which you seem to be suggesting) aim for 15% bodyfat instead of a specific BMI number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ignore BMI
    Pick a weight that you want, that you think is appropriate and aim for 10-15% bodyfat at that weight.

Advertisement