Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle pump

Options
  • 04-06-2016 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Just sold my last bike after having it years. My old one had a aldi pump cable tied to frame that was never used .

Roll onto this week I've a new bike and was looking for advice on pump, I was led to believe a decent hand pump to just get you home was better than compressed air that done incorrectly can cause more problems than fix .

After doing searches on here the advice seems old so can I start a thread about pumps and what's best plan of attack when things go flat .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭G1032

This thread from a few days ago might help :)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057604273/3/#post99914357

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Personally track pump in the house and Co2 when out for a ride. If all goes tits up I'll be relying on the goodwill of a fellow cyclist or making a call to the reluctant support car. (perhaps if you have a pump you may be the goodwill ambassador) :)

Of course there'll be those that swear you need a hand pump when out on a ride there is no definitive answer. All the info you saw in old threads will be echoed in this thread.

If you want a pump recommendation. One of the joe blow track pumps are great for the house but I also had an aldi one for 3 years until the O ring gave up the ghost. Not bad for a fiver.

I now have a aldi co2 adaptor and so far so good it's the thread on type which I prefer. I used to have a fancy pants push on type but discovered out on a long ride that something had jammed the valve open and emptied a Co2 cartridge as soon as I pierced it.

No right or wrong just personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Sorry folks I didn't look hard enough lock thread if want mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Ive been cycling 5 years now and always relied on CO2 and I got let down for the first time this week, but that was down to the valve failing on my new tube and me then rushing to fix the original punctured tube. I've upgraded my kit to now include 2 spare tubes and 3 CO2 canisters as I prefer using that to pumping. I might throw a mini pump in my pocket if I'm feeling nervous...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I have a mini pump with me, but also have CO2 cartridges. Mini pump is a backup. It'd small and no great load to carry. It's also handy when I do AA Breakdown service for someone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement