Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with new bra; can I get refund?

Options
  • 04-06-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

MODS: I meant to put this thread in Fashion/Appearances but I made a mistake. Or if you think it's suited to Consumer Issues (I'm discussing bras so I just popped it here but if you feel it's better in Consumer, that's fine.)

I hope someone can help me out with my predicament.

I went to M&S last week to get fitted for a bra and to buy a sports bra.
    The woman measured me and brought a sports bra (well, a 2pack) into the changing room for me to try.

It has adjustable straps (which I wanted as I'm losing weight and want to be able to adjust it as I get smaller) and when she fitted it on me, it felt good.

She said I could also criss-cross the straps at the back when I couldn't adjust the straps anymore, to get more wear out of it, and that sounded good.

However, I've been wearing it to the gym and no matter how well I adjust the bra, it doesn't feel like it's the right fit.

My boobs are really sore when I take it off; you can see a lot of cleavage when I wear it, especially if I'm doing a class and am bending over.
    (I know when you bend over you can see a little, but this is ridiculous.)
    I'm constantly hoisting it up and it just doesn't feel like it's supporting me.

I have the receipt and it says on it that I can have a refund/exchange within 28 days.
    However, does this still stand if I've worn the bra? I don't have the little hanger that it came on, or the tags.

I could understand me not being able to get a refund/exchange because of this, but on the other hand, I was measured and the lady told me what size I was, so it was because of that, and because of how it fitted in-store, that made me buy it.

Obviously since wearing it while exercising, I've realised it's not doing its' job and I don't want to be stuck with a bra I can't wear.
    I paid €44 for the 2-pack.

Ideally I would prefer a refund so I could buy a different bra somewhere else and also get measured elsewhere as I don't think I was given the right size, but if I'm only entitled to an exchange, that would be OK, too.

Can anyone tell me where I stand with this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm definitely grabbing a large Manhattan popcorn for this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'm definitely grabbing a large Manhattan popcorn for this one :D

Tut. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

But on a serious note, I think "underwear" exchanges might be "exempt" from exchange if worn, because of the nature of the product. Particularly if advised in advance. If not then you might have a case for a refund etc

vicwatson wrote: »
    But on a serious note, I think "underwear" exchanges might be "exempt" from exchange if worn, because of the nature of the product. Particularly if advised in advance. If not then you might have a case for a refund etc

I know that's the rule with knickers but I'm fairly sure bras can be refunded/exchanged.
    My issue is that, yes, I wore it and I don't have the tags or the little hanger it came on.

I'm just confused because it's not like I purposely chose the wrong size.
    The woman measuring me told me my size and now the bra doesn't fit right, so on those grounds I'm thinking I should be entitled to at least exchange it.
    But I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I'd still go in and explain what happened. Go in with the bra and with the attitude that maybe the girl who fitted you can see if there's an issue that can be fixed. If they can see there's an issue that's unfixable they might give you a refund or exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

A lot of bra fitters don't have a clue what they're doing so it's likely she put you in the wrong size and you didn't notice until you started moving around. Maybe measure yourself first, there's a fb group called clothes for boobs which could help you.

I'd agree with the above poster, go in looking for help rather than being annoyed and they are more likely to help you.

A lot of bra fitters don't have a clue what they're doing so it's likely she put you in the wrong size and you didn't notice until you started moving around. Maybe measure yourself first, there's a fb group called clothes for boobs which could help you.

I'd agree with the above poster, go in looking for help rather than being annoyed and they are more likely to help you.

Thank you.
    You're right: she probably thought it was the right size but you'd only really know once you've exercised in it.
    I'll check that FB page out too..cheers x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Your looking for a refund because it's faulty rather than a return so I think you need to discuss with a customer service agent why you feel the product wasn't fit for purpose.

I'd be interested to know what they do/how they treat you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

fussyonion wrote: »
    Thank you.
    You're right: she probably thought it was the right size but you'd only really know once you've exercised in it.
    I'll check that FB page out too..cheers x

Have a read of this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057596541

M&S, while I love them, don't know their arise from their elbow about correct bra fitting. I'd say it's little wonder it doesn't fit you!

You said it was a 2-pack - have you worn both? I'd give them a good hand wash, and bring them in the customer services to explain what happened. It's worth a shot anyway.

Faith wrote: »
    Have a read of this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057596541

M&S, while I love them, don't know their arise from their elbow about correct bra fitting. I'd say it's little wonder it doesn't fit you!

You said it was a 2-pack - have you worn both? I'd give them a good hand wash, and bring them in the customer services to explain what happened. It's worth a shot anyway.

Very interesting read, that link, Faith..thank you.
    I have only worn one bra but I will wash it and bring both back on Monday.
    I'll let folks know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hope you get it sorted out!

If you plan to buy another sports bra, esp if you have big boobs (as I do!), I highly recommend the Moving Comfort Juno bra. Adjustable straps, covers cleavage, and really keeps you strapped in solid without hurting your boobs, even with very high impact activity.

Not cheap (around e40/45 for one bra) but really a good product. Also made of a fabric that doesn't get too sweaty, so you can get a few wears out of it (and I am a very sweaty person!)

cactusgal wrote: »
    Hope you get it sorted out!

If you plan to buy another sports bra, esp if you have big boobs (as I do!), I highly recommend the Moving Comfort Juno bra. Adjustable straps, covers cleavage, and really keeps you strapped in solid without hurting your boobs, even with very high impact activity.

Not cheap (around e40/45 for one bra) but really a good product. Also made of a fabric that doesn't get too sweaty, so you can get a few wears out of it (and I am a very sweaty person!)

Thank you.
    I had Shock Absorber bras before and they were excellent...the same features you mentioned and also around €40 but worth it.

Where can you get those bras you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

fussyonion wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I had Shock Absorber bras before and they were excellent...the same features you mentioned and also around €40 but worth it.

Where can you get those bras you mentioned?

I got them in the USA but you can get them on Amazon, and (though I've not checked) I'd imagine you'd be able to get them in sportswear stores. It's good to be able to try them on, I'm a 34D normally, but a 36DD in the Juno bra.

Just an update on this:

I was unwell recently so I was only able to go back to M&S with the bras today.

I explained to the customer service assistant the issues I was having with the bra. She completely understood and went to fetch a manager.

The manager was told the story before she reached me and before I even had to start my story again, she said "It's totally fine. We'll give you a refund."

I was surprised. I was preparing to settle for an exchange (which I didn't really want as I wanted to go elsewhere for a bra) but she apologised for the fitting being wrong and the bra not being right and, no questions asked, she gave me back my money.

Full of apologies, she reminded me that I was more than welcome to be re-fitted but I said I was going to leave it, thanks.
    Very happy.

I then went to Debenhams for a Shock Absorber bra but surprisingly they're not stocking any sports bras at the moment so the lady in-store ordered one for me online, and I'll have it on Tuesday.

Incidentally, in M&S they sized me at 38DD.
    In Debenhams she sized me at 38E.

I am confident this new bra will fit perfectly. I'm also happy that I'm getting the bra I really want.

Thanks for all your replies everyone!
    All's well that ends well.

Advertisement