Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please don't use Migration agents for your visa application

Options
  • 04-06-2016 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Personally I would love for this industry to die a swift death.

My sister is applying for a RSMS visa. Company prepared to sponsor and job waiting for her. Company is using a migration agent for their side and my sister refused to pay the $2500 fee they want for being pencil pushers. I've done two application already so know what needs to be done for her side.

They have been delaying for 4 weeks now. Using various excuses. They are now saying that they have other applicants who are emergency so need to do them first. Have said that my sister will have to wait 2 weeks after applying before she can get her bridging visa and that they can "fast track this process if she pays her side" aswell as them saying that she cant work for them due to restrictions and that they can "have these restrictions removed" if she pays. She's an onshore applicant so this is all just completely false.

The company is believing everything these professionals (?) are saying leaving my sister having to defend her reasons for doing her side by herself. I've forwarded copies of where this information is proven incorrect on the immigration website to my sister and she will be trying to sort this on Monday.

However, this is potentially leaving the company in a situation where they may cut their losses and walk away, and my sister returning to Ireland even though only 4 weeks ago things were looking very bright for her. All of this purely because pencil pushing leeches are lying through their teeth to generate more money for themselves and leave someone jobless.

My reason for posting this is to ask for anyone considering using a migration agent to please not unless its incredibly complex which for Irish people generally wont be. It would be great to see this industry just fall flat on its heels as its not really necessary now that SkillSelect exists. The more people who boycott these people the better it will be for everyone.

Suffice to say if an application actually goes in we will be making a complaint to immigration using the correct channels. It is clear as day that these people are only delaying because my sister is not handing over the money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I encountered the very same problem. My employer insisted on a agent. I said I didn't need one too which they said that couldn't proceed with the visa. Eventually I agreed to meet this agent she blubbered nonsense from the get go which I pulled he up on...my employer wasn't impressed with my attitude towards her. I got the fees dropped to 1200$ but was still unimpressed. During the process at a Xmas party I find out the visa agent is a 1st cousin of my employers wife...

Now some of my co workers who are looking for pr are being quoted 3000$ from this agent for a 186\187 visa... My employer won't work with another agent...wonder why?

This is just one reason I want my on company..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

100% agree. I've recently been granted PR via 186 TS. Neither myself nor my employer used an immigration agent & it was a very straightforward process.
    $3,000 is a crazy fee Rightyabe!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

100% agree. I've recently been granted PR via 186 TS. Neither myself nor my employer used an immigration agent & it was a very straightforward process.
    $3,000 is a crazy fee Rightyabe!

Yeah the employer and agent are in cahoots. They make out his is a complicated case 457-PR after 3 years there as a qualified carpenter..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I have used 3 in my time.
    All of which were due to being employer sponsored all the way through and the employer insisting.

1. Was crap, some spin off from an accounting firm.

2. Was awesome could not recommend her enough and was worth the money paid and more. Quick efficient and just got to the point.

3. Was a legal firm, and I spent most of the time chasing them.
    Big legal firm with nice office does not guarantee results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Twoodlepip

This is very timely advice - thank you for the post!!

I moved to Melbourne 7 months ago and am now looking for sponsorship routes I can take. I'm self employed designer with a shared studio space here and before I left Ireland I'd researched (to the ends of the earth for months) what route was the best suited and most organic to my field, which resulted in self-sponsorship option in 457.

By no means an easy route but in spite of the Dec 2015 amendments making it even more difficult, I am confident I meet all criteria. That said, it is a cumbersome process, have to register as a company, have to apply to be a sponsor, have to apply to nominate myself as sponsored employee, have to prove the genuineness of my role etc etc etc. :ermm::(

So do you think considering the pitfalls and what's at stake I am best advised to enlist a migration agent? Despite them being an absolute money-leeching snake pit of lies?

JimmyCrackCorn - Can I ask who your awesome agent was?? Would love word of mouth advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Nothing wrong with using an agent if the employer is paying, I been through 2 visas and employer paid the lot. I basically had the paperwork and information decision ready so was confident they couldn't stuff it up.

Maybe that why it's called sponsorship ....the employer pays your costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Ok so is there a step by step go to forum for people that aren't in the know about the whole process?I am looking to apply for a permanent migration visa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Ok so is there a step by step go to forum for people that aren't in the know about the whole process?I am looking to apply for a permanent migration visa

There's some good information on the immigration website www.immi.gov.au and I've found the Britishexpats website to be useful in the past.
    If you are willing to spend the time doing your own research then there should be no need to use a migration agent.
    You may be given advice from people but if they haven't been through the process themselves or have a good understanding of how it works then you should take their advice with a pinch of salt. Doing proper research yourself is the key to avoid using an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I have been back and forth to Australia a few times, I'm here permanently now.

Each time I applied for the Visa myself. (2 sponsorship visas and Permanent Residency) All the information you need is on the Immigration website. If you cant find something, call them. You might be on hold for 30mins, but once you get through, they are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

My wife's cousin did his through an agent. All he did was fill out the form, and he even stuffed that up, he applied for 1 year instead of 4.

Paid this cowboy $3k or something. The whole industry is a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Mackman wrote: »
    I have been back and forth to Australia a few times, I'm here permanently now.

Each time I applied for the Visa myself. (2 sponsorship visas and Permanent Residency) All the information you need is on the Immigration website. If you cant find something, call them. You might be on hold for 30mins, but once you get through, they are very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

My wife's cousin did his through an agent. All he did was fill out the form, and he even stuffed that up, he applied for 1 year instead of 4.

Paid this cowboy $3k or something. The whole industry is a scam

I'd have to agree 100% with that. I did mine as an 820, lots of lovely paperwork and bridging visas and further information requests, but all in all very achievable for anyone who can read and write. The fees being charged are very hefty for what needs to be done. its time consuming but in no way difficult.

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me if this is right

The visa I need to apply for is Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)

The first thing I need to do is book an IELTS and plan to get better than 7.0

The 2nd thing I need to do is get my occupation Vetassessed

Once these 2 things are done I have to wait for a positive outcome and then go here

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/190-

How do I determine whether I need to do Acedemic or General IELTS?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Dont forget the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

couldn't agree more. Migration agents are such a waste of time and money.

I did my 189 myself, as did my friend here - super easy process and cost just under $3k altogether.

Migration agents will charge that amount again ... and for what? You send them your ID photocopies, qualification certs, language assessment numbers etc. instead of just submitting them online through the immi.gov.au portal. completely pointless. You have to do all the work of gathering the relevant papers either way! Migration agents are the perfect example of a middle man that just passes picks some pieces of paper up from their inbox; staples it together; and puts it in their outbox.

Sisters employer is making her do hers through an agent and solicitor, $8k. silly waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Yep, I can agree with this sentiment. The immi.gov.au website is really well set up and lots of information available for each step of the process. I even found their staff to be friendly and efficient.

Saying that, before we lodged our application we did book a consultation with a migration agent and for the $100 or so it cost it was well worth it for the information we gleamed.

Advertisement