Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line wiring issue

Options
  • 04-06-2016 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

So someone in before me moved a phone point which was used for phone and BB and made a mess of it. BB was down but I've that back up but no dial tone on the phone, have tried with an analog phone to be sure. This was 100% working previously.

Blue/Blue white from Eircom in is connected to L1and L2 on back plate.

Any ideas?

PS, the green green white and orange orange white are extending to the alarm. (No idea if this is done right or not, more previous work)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Update :D

When I plug the phone into the BB port I get a dial tone, I need them both but not sure how to wire that on the plate :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Is this ADSL or VDSL (eir Fibre)?

Vodafone connection, no idea if it's Fibre or not

Just to add. I can get the BB working in the BB port and I can get the phone working in the BB port but nothing in the phone port

There are two other terminals S1 and S2 which I looped from L1 and L2 but that didn't work :/

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Vodafone connection, no idea if it's Fibre or not

What kind of speeds do you get (up/down)?

The reason I ask is, I don't know what type of socket that is, but if it's an ADSL connection, then you need a microfilter to have the BB out of one side and phone on the other. Something like this:
    rj11-adsl-microfilter.jpg?w=283&h=283&r=4&o=APnFYWGfTZpMCbmHreSKNlqDrGMj&V=4R8B

If it's VDSL, then the socket itself is filtered.

• Advertisement

It was working a few days ago and was then moved and now not working so I assume it's VDSL. It's the same phone socket being used it was just extended. Blue blue white extended from original phone point to new location but since the move only one port is working

Blue is connected to L1 and blue white to L2, BB port works for both phone and BB but phone port gives me nothing.

I wonder if I put a splitter on the BB port will it work?

Won't be back on site till Tuesday most likely so I won't know till then. I was hoping I was just missing out on some internal wiring as there are two terminal blocks on the outer plate which aren't being used

OK, I suspect then you have moved the master socket, which is a no no (I believe - from what I've read on here). The usual solution to things not being where you want them is to keep your router there and just use home plugs or Cat5e/6 to run the connection to where you want.

Others will confirm, but I think you need to move it back :( and use somebody that knows what the hell they're doing :rolleyes:.

You'll note from my first post that it wasn't me that moved it.

I've no idea about moving a master socket but logically speaking all that the last fella has done is extended the blue/blue white and this shouldn't cause an issue.

However something else like a missing loop could cause an issue. I'm betting on something simple but I've no expertise in this area so I'm seeking help here, thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok so, you have two pieces there as you can see, lets just call them the back plate (screwed to wall) and front plate(with double sockets).

Test 1:
    Connect modem to socket in BACK plate, check for sync.
    Connect phone to socket in BACK plate, check for dial tone.

If both pass on test 1, then you've wired on the correct pair. That being the case then either your FRONT plate is damaged OR one of the pairs wired to extension blocks is shorting out and holding the line.

Test 2:
    Remove extensions from blocks and test for DT. You should get a tone on both front sockets but DSL only on the one.

EDIT: You've got a monitored alarm yeah? Or there was one previously?

Thanks. Yep, the green/green white and orange/orange white go on to the alarm.

I'll try both on the back plate and if that passes I'll try it with the alarm disconnected.

I really hope it's a faulty plate because otherwise they're gonna ask me to fix the alarm too :/

Thabks! Back there Tuesday so will let you know then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I see the problem, the alarm is disconnected at the alarm and the resistors on the back of the NTU have been broken. It's the norm for the tech to break them when you feed to an alarm and back, the feed back feeds the right phone socket. You just need a new faceplate with intact resistors. Stop the next KN or eircom van you meet

The last electrician is coming back to fix it :rolleyes: I'm sure I'll get another call tomorrow when he still can't fix it.

The two pairs to the alarm are definitely connected, he didn't go near that and the pairs to the NTU are punched. Maybe I'm not understanding your post?

If one port is working, is it possible to just add an external splitter? The sparks called me to ask how to fix it, I just said to try a splitter from the working port or get a new dual NTU.

The last electrician is coming back to fix it :rolleyes: I'm sure I'll get another call tomorrow when he still can't fix it.

The two pairs to the alarm are definitely connected, he didn't go near that and the pairs to the NTU are punched. Maybe I'm not understanding your post?

If one port is working, is it possible to just add an external splitter? The sparks called me to ask how to fix it, I just said to try a splitter from the working port or get a new dual NTU.

I said resistors, they were in the back of the faceplate but have now been removed by snapping with a screwdriver. This is what feeds the second phone socket when you've no alarm. Theres a feed to and from an alarm but it's not returning a feed on it's returning pair. Don't add a filter, get a new faceplate

But the alarm is being used so where should the resistors now be? I understand what you're saying but if there's a feed from the plate connected to the alarm and the return pair is connected and all 4 terminals used, where should the resistors go?

ZR44Kkc.jpg

Wiring to Alarm systems and ISDN lines are terminated on IDC blocks using the normal IDC
    terminating tool. A number of zero ohm resistor straps shall be removed as required. The
    wiring to the alarm control panel must be connected to the red IDC block. This is marked 'in'
    and 'out'. The wiring to the alarm unit is terminated on the connection points marked 'in' and
    the wiring from the alarm unit is terminated on the connections marked 'out'. The two resistor
    straps marked AL must be disconnected to complete the circuit.
    The alarm unit is now connected and it will over ride the use of the PSTN socket in the event
    of alarm activation. Please note that a faulty alarm unit may cause PSTN service to fail on the
    front socket outlet.

I would guess this house had an alarm with POTS monitoring, the fixed SMS services were retired last June and then the alarm was moved over to GSM. The alarms guy would likely just dis the POTS pair feeding and returning from the alarm as they were now useless to him and thus nuke your MDPs phone port.

Ahhhhh, I see! Thanks :)

This was working up until the move so I'm not sure why it would only affect it now!?

Would an external splitter work? I'll just tell him to replace the plate and leave the alarm disconnected.

Am I right there? :D

Ahhhhh, I see! Thanks :)

This was working up until the move so I'm not sure why it would only affect it now!?

Would an external splitter work? I'll just tell him to replace the plate and leave the alarm disconnected.

Am I right there? :D

Don't use a external splitter, it will not work with VDSL. There is an easy way to fix it, unplug the cables going to and from the alarm and connect alarm in to alarm out so it loops back to the front socket

He was to be on site for 6.30 and I haven't heard anything since. I'll ring the customer in the morning and if its not fixed I'll loop it out. Thanks :)

Advertisement