Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong smell of cannabis

Options
  • 04-06-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I have been renting a house for the past 18 months and a few months ago I started to get a strong smell of weed. It's coming from a apartment which is next to me and the smell is overbearing espiscally during this hot weather when the windows are open. We have a 1 year old daughter so don't really want her breathing in the smell of weed.

What should I do? Obviously I thought about notifying the gards but would they even do anything? I don't want to be identified for obvious reasons as I don't want to cause unnecessary rows with my neighbours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Breathing in the smell of weed? It's not like she's sitting in the room with them getting any second hand smoke, so I don't see how that's a factor?

If I were you I'd just knock on their door, amiably explain the situation and suggest they might be more discreet. By nature they'd usually be fairly relaxed - I doubt you'd have any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Breathing in the smell of weed? It's not like she's sitting in the room with them getting any second hand smoke, so I don't see how that's a factor?

If I were you I'd just knock on their door, amiably explain the situation and suggest they might be more discreet. By nature they'd usually be fairly relaxed - I doubt you'd have any trouble

So having to smell the strong smell of weed everyday wouldn't bother you? Espiscally when your 1 year old daughter sleeps upstairs where the smell is the strongest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    So having to smell the strong smell of weed everyday wouldn't bother you? Espiscally when your 1 year old daughter sleeps upstairs where the smell is the strongest?

Like smoking anything you'll have two camps OP.

(i) Smokers themselves to whom no smell is offensive. I've had this argument numerous times myself. Same people never seem to want to live near a sewage works, strangely.

(ii) Non-smokers who think that people should keep their own smells etc. to themselves as much as possible.

I wouldn't bother arguing with case (i) it's pointless.

Get on to the guards - who will unlikely do anything unless there is evidence of dealing. If there are a fair few people back and forth, make sure to report that as well. Bear in mind if you're going to make the accusation you need to be prepared to go to court.

The second avenue is through the RTB as a third party complaint (illegal/anti social behaviour) if the apartment next to you is rented.

While I would normally recommend speaking to your neighbour I find stoners impossible to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

First, are you even sure it is weed? With the hot weather you could just be smelling flowers in the garden.

Why not have a chat with the neighbours instead of being one of those people. They must have a fierce high tolerance if they are smoking it all day and all night. You'd end up getting on the wrong side of your neighbours and getting them in trouble with the law if you call the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I'd definitely knock into the tenant and just explain the situation as the person might not even know that the smell is reaching others in the apartment. You shouldn't have to smell weed at all, and I'm sure this person will be a bit shocked when they find out about the smell.

I'd be positively sure that this person will remedy the problem once brought to their attention. But could it be incense ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If you're going to speak to the neighbour I'd suggest being as non-confrontational as possible. Be clear that what they do is no business of yours until it impinges on your own family. Do they have another window or part of the house where they could smoke which would have less of an effect?

To borrow from my own experience, when I gave up cigarettes I could smell the smoke more easily, like when people are smoking on the street outside my office and the smoke wafts in. I never noticed it when I was smoking. Similarly for them they are unlikely to know that the smell is spreading so far and so strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

OkeyDoke12 wrote:

You do know smelling something is very different from smoking it, right?
    Either way just knock in and have a neighbourly chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

You should not be smelling weed from next door. I would be concerned your apartment is far from fire compliant if you can.

Is the smell constant? If it is you have a growhouse next door. Big money, bad people, tread carefully.

If it is only now and again then it is smoke. I would contact your landlord to ensure a better seal between the rooms. Again, if a smell of smoke/weed is coming through somewhere then a fire would likely rip right through there. I would be more concerned if there is a growroom next door. They are a fire risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Simple ring garda confidential and give apartment details. Quite possible a grow house/apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

+1 for what forty seven wrote , if its a constant smell of a growhouse the crop could be coming into bud, deffo do not approach the neighbours, maybe a discrete call to the authorities from a concerned citizen would be more prudent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Concerned that everyone's first thought is to ring the cops ffs.

Knock on their door and politely explain that there is a strong smell of weed coming to your apartment. 90% of smokers normally like to be hush hush so im sure they would be apologetic and would take measures to rectify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

J Mysterio wrote: »

Knock on their door and politely explain that there is a strong smell of weed coming to your apartment. 90% of smokers normally like to be hush hush so im sure they would be apologetic and would take measures to rectify the situation.

And if its a grow-house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

FortySeven wrote: »
    You should not be smelling weed from next door. I would be concerned your apartment is far from fire compliant if you can.

Is the smell constant? If it is you have a growhouse next door. Big money, bad people, tread carefully.

If it is only now and again then it is smoke. I would contact your landlord to ensure a better seal between the rooms. Again, if a smell or smoke is coming through a fire would likely rip right through there. I would be more concerned if there is a growroom next door. They are a fire risk.

This!

The old "drop around and have a quiet word" could be a very big mistake.
    1. People are on drugs. Don't even bother 'explaining'. At the very best they might be spooked and just close the windows. You'll have identified yourself and any subsequent dealings they may have with the police/landlord will automatically single you out.

2. It's a growhouse, not always a case of happy go lucky stoners with the odd plant. This can be serious business with people imprisoned running the operation (worst case!).
    My friends neighbour's house went up in flames one day (growhouse/dodgy wiring), he was at home with his kid and didn't notice anything till people started banging on the door telling him to get out.

Although if you can physically 'see' smoke then it's unlikely that they'd be growing it and smoking it in the same place... but then again.. stoners.

If there's neighbours all around above and below etc then maybe an anonymous letter saying you passed by in the corridor and smelt the smoke, give them warning that the next time you smell it you'll be going straight to the police (not the landlord).

Sure, your child mightn't be inhaling it (much!), but... I wouldn't want my kids growing up 'getting used' to this smell. Also there is still a risk they could be attracting dealers/money collectors/buyers to the premises.
    And there is still a risk of fire even if they aren't growing it... leave the cooker on, chip pan on etc... I've had experience of acquaintances doing very absent minded dangerous things due to 'a bit of weed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

J Mysterio wrote: »

Would you like to live next door to a grow house?
    Its a much different story than having some harmless stoners next door.

It's quite possible. If the person is growing it then they are not using a carbon filter. Amateurish if this is the case as they will be always caught out. Well if the smell is there all the time then there is a high probability that some-one is growing it and the plants have flowered. In this case it would not be recommended to knock in.

A person having the odd spliff is a different story though. But if a person is growing it then you don't know who you will be dealing with.

It's quite possible. If the person is growing it then they are not using a carbon filter. Amateurish if this is the case as they will be always caught out. Well if the smell is there all the time then there is a high probability that some-one is growing it and the plants have flowered. In this case it would not be recommended to knock in.

3 scenarios.

Harmless stoner growing a few plants.

Nasty skanger growing a few plants.

Commercial operation. Whole apartment full of plants.

Not worth approaching due to the risk of 2 and 3.

Carbon filters will only do so much. Especially with the humidity levels in an apartment. In full flower you'd be hard pressed to mask the smell.

Hopefully op is dealing with smokers. If it is a grow then it gets trickier. I would not personally involve the garda purely out of an easier life choice.

Not an easy decision for you op.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    I have been renting a house for the past 18 months and a few months ago I started to get a strong smell of weed. It's coming from a apartment which is next to me and the smell is overbearing espiscally during this hot weather when the windows are open. We have a 1 year old daughter so don't really want her breathing in the smell of weed.

What should I do? Obviously I thought about notifying the gards but would they even do anything? I don't want to be identified for obvious reasons as I don't want to cause unnecessary rows with my neighbours.

First route of action should always be to take it up with the neighbours and try to come to some sort of agreement. Only if that fails should you go the legal route.

I agree with post #17

Why would you even mention weed to the neighbours? If you're going to mention anything, just be vague about a smell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

First route of action should always be to take it up with the neighbours and try to come to some sort of agreement. Only if that fails should you go the legal route.

So tell them to 'just say no' to drugs...

then call the cops when they won't stop (and they won't) after you've just identified yourself to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Jesus lads wouldn't it just be easier if we legalised the stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

With a kid I'm afraid I wouldn't be knocking in. Too big a risk that this is a large scale operation particularly if the smell is strong and consistent.

OP are the bedroom windows open or is this smell coming through vents etc? Is it all the time?

If it isn't all the time I'd probably knock in as it's likely to just be a stoner. Any other scenario I'd be ringing Garda confidential particularly with a child in my apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A flowering plant is going to smell very different from a burning plant. I think most people are able to distinguish the two. I doubt there's a criminal grow house in an apartment block either.

OP have you ever seen the person living next door? Do they go to work? If you see them coming or going from the apartment block you could have a word, and tell them you're doing them a favour by letting them know. Then they'll owe you one. You're perfectly entitled to call the guards, or report it to whoever controls the building if you want. Odds are that it's just a normal person who likes a spliff. There's always the possibility you're living next door to a nutjob, but they're usually much rarer than people like to think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭mulbot

ScumLord wrote: »
    A flowering plant is going to smell very different from a burning plant. I think most people are able to distinguish the two. I doubt there's a criminal grow house in an apartment block either.

OP have you ever seen the person living next door? Do they go to work? If you see them coming or going from the apartment block you could have a word, and tell them you're doing them a favour by letting them know. Then they'll owe you one. You're perfectly entitled to call the guards, or report it to whoever controls the building if you want. Odds are that it's just a normal person who likes a spliff. There's always the possibility you're living next door to a nutjob, but they're usually much rarer than people like to think they are.

I think most people who never were beside a growing cannabis plant would know the smell,vastly different to the smell of smoked or dried weed-I agree too,an apartment is hardly being used as a grow house

There are certain strains of cannabis that smell more potent from their buds than actually burning it. You can smell some buds on the flowering plant a long way aways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Who cares if its a grow house? They're not going to murder you for having a legitimate complaint.

OP: you said... I have been renting a house for the past 18 months and a few months ago I started to get a strong smell of weed. Have you not seen this person once in all this time as a neighbour ? I mean if it's the opposite apartment building surely you bumped into this person ?.

If you do bump into this person or you decide to knock in, just be straight forward and say that a few folks are getting a strong smell of cannabis from your apartment so I'm just letting you know as a heads-up, that might get this person to fix the problem once they know the problem. If the person is smoking it all the time then s/he will not smell it like the rest of the folk there.

Put it in a way that is genuine and informative to the person, and if said person has a brain cell then that person will take it on-board and hopefully deal with the problem. It's either that or the guards or the landlord and the guards. Give the person a chance first just encase it is a lone person enjoying a Joint after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Op if they are just smokers stick a note under the door explaining your concerns with the smell of weed coming from the apartment for the last few months .

Say a few of us were talking in the building [ No Names ] and are given yous a chance fix this problem as yous don,t want them to lose there apartment or get a criminal record they can smoke out the window or back when kids are not around in that case if there smokers they should understand and with school holidays starting tenants can,t put up with this with kids around and yous have been more then fair on this

If its a grow house they will soon move out in the am hours .

Don,t call the Gauads if just smokers /and if it is a grow house your dealing with people you don,t want to know and you still have to live there what ever happens .

And you need that hassle coming to your door .

mulbot wrote: »

I think most people who never were beside a growing cannabis plant would know the smell,vastly different to the smell of smoked or dried weed-I agree too,an apartment is hardly being used as a grow house

I have used an apartment as a growhouse in the past. In my less civilised days. They are better than a standalone house as there are so many people moving around nobody bats an eyelid. Try moving growing equipment into a detached house. The neighbours would be all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I'd be very suprised if it was a 'growhouse' in an apartment block. Far too easy to be caught. Growhouses are usually in industrial complexes due to having ventilation systems etc.
    In reality it's some lad with a few plants for himself and his mates. He's not going to put a hit out on you for knocking in. Some people posting on here have seriously active imaginations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement