Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding IR receiver on Horizon box

• 04-06-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭

I'm setting up a Slingbox and I need to locate the IR receiver on a Horizon box - it is a Samsung SMT-G7400. Can anyone out there tell me exactly where the receive is on the front of the box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Horizon remote is RF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Horizon remote is RF.

Does the Samsung box have no IR capability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

vienne86 wrote:
    Does the Samsung box have no IR capability?

There are only a couple of buttons that are RF only and not IR.

I think they are the Guide and Info buttons.

It is almost certain that the IR receiver is at the front of the box

I

dubrov wrote: »

I think they are the Guide and Info buttons.

It is almost certain that the IR receiver is at the front of the box

I

Thanks a million for this - just what I want to hear! We don't need all of the functionality, and will happily do without the guide and info buttons.

Any tips for finding the IR receiver point on the front of the box? Currently my Slingbox is hooked up to an Amstrad Sky box, and on that it seems that the IR receiver covers most of the front of the box! I don't expect to be so lucky with the Horizon box, but it is a small box, so there shouldn't be too big an area to search.

Thanks again for your help.

IR just needs an unobstructed line of sight.

If you place the slingbox ir sender anywhere in front of the box it should work.

You can also get to the guide in the menu if you need it (back, back, select guide i think).

You can play around with the setup on a laptop before you go

• Advertisement

IR just needs an unobstructed line of sight.

If you place the slingbox ir sender anywhere in front of the box it should work.

You can also get to the guide in the menu if you need it (back, back, select guide i think).

You can play around with the setup on a laptop before you go

That's great. We're going to try out my Slingbox in my friends' place tomorrow, and if all goes well, they will buy their own.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Other way round I think. Only a couple of buttons work via IR and majority are RF.

Other way round I think. Only a couple of buttons work via IR and majority are RF.

I'm using a harmony remote that only had ir. All buttons work except info and guide

I'm using a harmony remote that only had ir. All buttons work except info and guide

Yep can confirm,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Same here.

OP if you want to find the IR sensor, it's often worth getting a strong torch with a narrow beam - the new LED models are good for this. When the room is reasonably dark you should slowly scan the light across the front surface of the box and you will sometimes see a small dark red disc behind the plastic fascia, that will be the IR receiver.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Same here.

OP if you want to find the IR sensor, it's often worth getting a strong torch with a narrow beam - the new LED models are good for this. When the room is reasonably dark you should slowly scan the light across the front surface of the box and you will sometimes see a small dark red disc behind the plastic fascia, that will be the IR receiver.

Thanks for this. We got it going yesterday, and as I discovered that the IR sensor could be placed pretty well anywhere along the front of my Amstrad (Sky) box, I just dumped it down on the front of my friends' Horizon box. It worked perfectly. We didn't actually try the TV guide, but my friends don't care about that. I'm hoping we tried the Power button, because that is vital! Anyway, happy days. They are now shopping for a Slingbox. And my Slingbox is none the worse for being reset twice yesterday.

Many thanks to all for your comments and your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

It's 9cms in from the left on the upper curve, slightly moreso on the front face side of the curve. If you flip the box so are looking along the front panel you can see it. It's a small silvery square with a black dot in the middle.

It's 9cms in from the left on the upper curve, slightly moreso on the front face side of the curve. If you flip the box so are looking along the front panel you can see it. It's a small silvery square with a black dot in the middle.

OMG! That's pretty well where I put the sensors! So I hit lucky. But this is great information to pass on to my friends for when they set up their own Slingbox.

Advertisement