Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes for hunting

• 04-06-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I bumped into an old friend who happens to be a member of the same range. I told him I got my license and he asked me to get in touch, as he has permission near Dublin Airport. So I did and he brought me to a 120 acre plot of land, not 5 minutes from my door. I am thrilled with the invite and apparently he is the only gun (outside the owners family) on the land and is trying to get me formal permission :) The permission is for rabbits, crows, magpies and pigeons.

Anyway, he recommends camo gear, which I don't have. I am wondering how necessary this is. I have an olive green hoodie, which has a built in bali and I wear tan/brown khaki style trousers with dark brown timberland boots. Is camo a bit OTT, or is it recommended? I will be shooting tomorrow all going well and might pick up some gear today if it's a good idea to. I don't want to waste money on unnecessary clothing if what I have is just as good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What are you going to hunt?Different critters can see different colour spectrums and you need to tailor to what youare hunting.EG you could wear bright flouresent pink or orange when deer hunting,as deer cant see those colour spectrums,but they will spot you a mile off wearing a pair of blue jeans.
    Piegons will spot anything white or slightest uncoverd skin 300 yards out well before shotgun range,so you almost need a ghillie suit to hunt them..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Good advice from Griz, as stated, we need to know what you plan on hunting.

I only really ever need to wear camo for turkey. They have great eyesight and will spot you far away. Hence the need for turkey choke.

Also, keep in mind that our eyes filter out UV light but deer do not. When you wash your clothes, do not use regular detergent as the UV dyes used to make our clothes look brighter will probably alarm deer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    What are you going to hunt?
    FISMA. wrote: »
    Good advice from Griz, as stated, we need to know what you plan on hunting.

On the land mentioned, pigeons and rabbits mainly. So, I'll cover up well then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

The drab brown & green colours you have at the moment should be okay. These are the colours in the hedges anyway. I wouldn't be rushing out buying camo gear yet.

They will spot your movement much quicker than the colour of your shirt. Slow, steady deliberate movement is essential & don't move when the are looking at you, unless that is to raise the gun to fire.

Wear a hat with your present gear.....I'd buy a mesh facemask & light gloves...don't let the pigeons see any skin or they will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Also either camo up your hands or wear cammo gloves too.Piegons can even spot that as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

J.R. wrote: »
    The drab brown & green colours you have at the moment should be okay. These are the colours in the hedges anyway. I wouldn't be rushing out buying camo gear yet.

They will spot your movement much quicker than the colour of your shirt. Slow, steady deliberate movement is essential & don't move when the are looking at you, unless that is to raise the gun to fire.

Wear a hat with your present gear.....I'd buy a mesh facemask & light gloves...don't let the pigeons see any skin or they will be gone.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Also either camo up your hands or wear cammo gloves too.Piegons can even spot that as well.

Thats good advice. The hoodie comes with a built in face mask (thank you Aldi) and I have olive green mac-wet gloves too, which should do the job. I think the extended choke could also be an issue, as it is silver, so I will try cover that up too. Nothing I can do about the silver action though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

As the lads said you have to cover up well for pidgins but for rabbits it's not so important. Rabbits will notice your movements more than what your waring. When shooting rabbits keep your left and right movements to a minimum and walk in a straight line towards them very slowly until you get in range. I've shot hundreds of rabbits in a t-shirt and jeans and got within 20 yards of them.

Advertisement