Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Music Practical 2017 Help

• 04-06-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey guys need some advice. Im doing music outside of school, and for the practical I'm hoping to do piano and the music technology option. Im getting extremely worried now because I amn't sure if my piano component is of a high enough standard. Im doing 3 Grade 6 pieces and haven't decided on a fourth piece yet (Sonata VII in A (Arne), Viennese Sonatina no 1 in C (Mozart), Prelude in B Minor(Chopin)). Are these pieces difficult enough??? Any input would be much appreciated. Also any suggestions for the fourth piece welcome, trying to veer away from classical though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Mldj wrote: »
    Hey guys need some advice. Im doing music outside of school, and for the practical I'm hoping to do piano and the music technology option. Im getting extremely worried now because I amn't sure if my piano component is of a high enough standard. Im doing 3 Grade 6 pieces and haven't decided on a fourth piece yet (Sonata VII in A (Arne), Viennese Sonatina no 1 in C (Mozart), Prelude in B Minor(Chopin)). Are these pieces difficult enough??? Any input would be much appreciated. Also any suggestions for the fourth piece welcome, trying to veer away from classical though.

Grade Six is a very much so an acceptable grade for the Leaving Cert practical. Yes, there will be candidates who will play all Grade Eight lives and all that but they're a minority.

It's a practical, a performance. You want to entertain your examiner for the thirty minutes. Pieces played confidently and properly at a more intermediate level will always outshine pieces played poorly from a higher level.

The most important part of the music practical is to be confident and have varied genres. All classical pieces etc may bore the examiner and won't exactly show off your technical skills.

I didn't do piano so unfortunately I can't advise you on any pieces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There is no standard. Which is only one of the things that makes LC music a bit of a joke. Pick a varied programme slightly below the level you're at. Practise the bejaysus out of it. Practice playing it to people. The more often the better. Do it one more time around Easter 2017. Sit back and relax, and enjoy the points rolling in...

Disclosure: music teacher.
    Disclaimer: slightly tipsy. Feck it. I've three months to get over any potential hangover. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

endacl wrote: »
    There is no standard. Which is only one of the things that makes LC music a bit of a joke. Pick a varied programme slightly below the level you're at. Practise the bejaysus out of it. Practice playing it to people. The more often the better. Do it one more time around Easter 2017. Sit back and relax, and enjoy the points rolling in...

Disclosure: music teacher.
    Disclaimer: slightly tipsy. Feck it. I've three months to get over any potential hangover. :D

I would try and say it's not easy points but no one in my class ever did a tap a study and all 8 of us got at least a HL B3 in the subject, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The standard is what a student should learn/know after 5 years of study on their instrument. So generally a v.good grade 4 will do.
    When you start exploring gr.6 + pieces then theres definitely extra technical challenges, if you can cope with em then fine, but if it sounds like you are playing 'a difficult piece' then maybe you haven't mastered it.
    Best thing to do is record yourself and compare yourself to other recordings from iTunes.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    The standard is what a student should learn/know after 5 years of study on their instrument. So generally a v.good grade 4 will do.
    When you start exploring gr.6 + pieces then theres definitely extra technical challenges, if you can cope with em then fine, but if it sounds like you are playing 'a difficult piece' then maybe you haven't mastered it.
    Best thing to do is record yourself and compare yourself to other recordings from iTunes.

A LC student should compare themselves to professionally recorded renditions? Don't be ridiculous.

• Advertisement

A LC student should compare themselves to professionally recorded renditions? Don't be ridiculous.

Each tune tells a story, so what's the difference between a student playing a grade 5 piece and say John O' Connor playing the same piece. Is the story that a Lc student portrays less of a story because they are not Joc? Are they any less in control of the instrument than Joc? If so then take control with a less challenging piece.(which is what you also suggested).

To say that 'there is no standard'... that's redonkulous.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Each tune tells a story, so what's the difference between a student playing a grade 5 piece and say John O' Connor playing the same piece. Is the story that a Lc student portrays less of a story because they are not Joc? Are they any less in control of the instrument than Joc? If so then take control with a less challenging piece.(which is what you also suggested).

To say that 'there is no standard'... that's redonkulous.

There's no standard that can be measured by grades. I've put students through ranging from 'picked up tin whistle in TY' to 'played concerto movents'. To say nothing of those students who barely tickle a guitar and do well presenting a programme of self-accompanied popular songs.

A student who presents a well thought out programme of confidently performed materiel will do well. There is no 'standard'. It's a bulls**t syllabus. It's handy to teach, and students pick up handy points, but LC music is at best a bit of a joke.

There's no standard that can be measured by grades. I've put students through ranging from 'picked up tin whistle in TY' to 'played concerto movents'. To say nothing of those students who barely tickle a guitar and do well presenting a programme of self-accompanied popular songs.

A student who presents a well thought out programme of confidently performed materiel will do well. There is no 'standard'. It's a bulls**t syllabus. It's handy to teach, and students pick up handy points, but LC music is at best a bit of a joke.

Ok fair enough, I agree that it's relatively easy to get an honour, although getting the students through to get the A's I don't see as a cakewalk. Grand if they've done all the grades and theory outside school, but when it's just you as their only teacher then it's not a doddle to get the A's.
    I havnt done practical examining yet but from speaking to others (and those higher up the chain) the standard IS 'supposed to be' what they would learn after 5 years of weekly lessons on their instrument. Extrapolate that out and it would be about grade 4 no?This is my guideline also.

Honestly, I could never imagine a student going through the practical listening and composing exam saying 'this subject is so easy it's a joke'.

Maybe they're just aiming for Cs or B's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FionaMu

I did my music practical just this year, at least 2 of my pieces were only grade 5. So long as you can play them with confidence and with decent enough technique you will be fine. I also changed one if my pieces two weeks before the exam and that was the best piece i played, dont feel you need to pick pieces based on their grades. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I did my music practical two years ago on piano and played two film themes, a queen song and one grade 6 piece. I got an A1 in my practical, so I would really recommend trying to vary your pieces up plus its way more enjoyable for you as a player to experience different genres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement