Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English 1 Wed 8th Need advice

Options
  • 04-06-2016 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

English, Paper 1 and 2 - H & O

Need advice what i should do to increase my information intake what should I focus on?

Anyopne know where i can find audio books for these:

FITZGERALD, F. Scott - The Great Gatsby (O)

O’CASEY, Sean - The Plough and the Stars (O)

KEEGAN, Claire - Foster (O)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I think you're confused, mate. That's paper 2 you're talking about! It's on Thursday.

Seeing as you're unprepared and you're doing 2/3 of the texts in Key Notes, why don't you just switch Great Gatsby to King's speech. It's a lot easier to just watch a two hour film and you have pre-made essays in the book. He does Foster, Plough and the Stars and King's speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

TSMGUY wrote: »
    I think you're confused, mate. That's paper 2 you're talking about! It's on Thursday.

Seeing as you're unprepared and you're doing 2/3 of the texts in Key Notes, why don't you just switch Great Gatsby to King's speech. It's a lot easier to just watch a two hour film and you have pre-made essays in the book. He does Foster, Plough and the Stars and King's speech.

Your are right Its comprehension and composing on Monday? any tips?
    TSMGUY wrote: »

By the way re-reading your message who is "He"

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Your are right Its comprehension and composing on Monday? any tips?

Paper 1 is on Wednesday!!! Here's the timetable
    You can't really cram for paper 1 but you should go into it having an idea about which type of composition you find easiest to do. Look at the titles given in past exam papers, make some brainstorms and write sample paragraphs (don't bother writing out full essays at this stage) and see what's best suited to you. If you think you'll do a short story you should come up with some basic characters that you can mould to fit the title on the day just so you have as much time as possible in the exam to write rather than think.
    Know the layouts for common questions in part B on the comprehensions such as letters.
    Remember that you can't do part A and part B from the same comprehension. Most people choose to do part B first because the questions are a lot more varied than part A which basically asks the same questions for each comprehension - you don't want to do part A straight away and then realise that the part Bs on the other two comprehensions are horrible

emersyn wrote: »
    Paper 1 is on Wednesday!!! Here's the timetable
    You can't really cram for paper 1 but you should go into it having an idea about which type of composition you find easiest to do. Look at the titles given in past exam papers, make some brainstorms and write sample paragraphs (don't bother writing out full essays at this stage) and see what's best suited to you. If you think you'll do a short story you should come up with some basic characters that you can mould to fit the title on the day just so you have as much time as possible in the exam to write rather than think.
    Know the layouts for common questions in part B on the comprehensions such as letters.
    Remember that you can't do part A and part B from the same comprehension. Most people choose to do part B first because the questions are a lot more varied than part A which basically asks the same questions for each comprehension - you don't want to do part A straight away and then realise that the part Bs on the other two comprehensions are horrible

In class, we had to create a story and I did a quazy X-Files meets Twilight Zone alien abduction story with a twist. I had the main character as the only person relating all the information he saw (kind of like the great gatsby narration) so everything you read is seen only from the protagonists eyes.~

Is this the kind of story they want? Just a story from my own head? made by me on the spot?

do you think my story above can be used in the exam?

In class, we had to create a story and I did a quazy X-Files meets Twilight Zone alien abduction story with a twist. I had the main character as the only person relating all the information he saw (kind of like the great gatsby narration) so everything you read is seen only from the protagonists eyes.~

Is this the kind of story they want? Just a story from my own head? made by me on the spot?

do you think my story above can be used in the exam?

Yeah sounds good but make sure you don't actually copy any characters or plot material from stuff - it needs to be completely your inventions. And the most important thing is to stick to the title you're given - if your story isn't relevant to the title you'll lose a huge amount of marks even if the quality of your writing is the best the examiner's ever seen

• Advertisement

Yeah sounds good but make sure you don't actually copy any characters or plot material from stuff - it needs to be completely your inventions. And the most important thing is to stick to the title you're given - if your story isn't relevant to the title you'll lose a huge amount of marks even if the quality of your writing is the best the examiner's ever seen

Is there any way to know the heading you mentioned? or will it be on the day?

Yeah Other than the type of story being something you'd see in the twilight zone its 100% mine

Is there any way to know the heading you mentioned? or will it be on the day?

Yeah Other than the type of story being something you'd see in the twilight zone its 100% mine

It's an exam, unless you want to go and steal them from wherever they're being stored under lock and key you won't know until the day ;) There's always one or two of the following: short stories, personal essays, articles and speeches. Descriptive essays crop up sometimes too. It's impossible to predict the titles though so the best option is just to practise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

It's an exam, unless you want to go and steal them from wherever they're being stored under lock and key you won't know until the day ;) There's always one or two of the following: short stories, personal essays, articles and speeches. Descriptive essays crop up sometimes too. It's impossible to predict the titles though so the best option is just to practise

Short stories, personal essay, article and debate come up EVERY year I'm sure?

Last time I checked they did.

So once you have an adaptable short story in mind, you can morph it into the question.

I'm predicting a theme of war/violence/poverty to come up because it hasn't appeared on the paper 1 for awhile and current events.

Short stories, personal essay, article and debate come up EVERY year I'm sure?

Last time I checked they did.

So once you have an adaptable short story in mind, you can morph it into the question.

I'm predicting a theme of war/violence/poverty to come up because it hasn't appeared on the paper 1 for awhile and current events.

all of which my little story fits perfectly :)

what about paper 2 any advice?

I'm looking for online audio books but cant find any

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you saying that a week before your Leaving you haven't read the books?

There is still time to read them.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Are you saying that a week before your Leaving you haven't read the books?

There is still time to read them.

I have more or less read them but we talked extensively about them so much I know exactly what they about, But Foster is a very boring Book, Plough is in script form hard to read and I've seen Gatsby movies

Advertisement