Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-day nutrition

Options
  • 04-06-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

I'm heading off on a short cycling holiday in September and will be doing 3 consecutive days of around 150km with a fairly serious amount of climbing. I'm building up my mileage and altitude and should be in fairly good shape before heading off but I've been wondering about what kind of food intake I'll be going through.
    Anytime I'm doing a sportive or decent spin I usually eat a good dose of carbs the day before and have a big breakfast and away I go with a few bars and a banana and some jellies but that's just for one day.
    What should I be looking at to be able to get through the 3 days? Keep piling in the carbs in the evenings or should I be upping the protein too or am I completely overthinking this and forget about the specifics and just eat? I'm not against the clock so I can stop for snack break but I don't fancy trying to haul myself up a big bloody mountain for well over an hour with a belly full of grub. Or find myself halfway up and ready to bonk....
    Anyway, all advice is welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm heading off on a short cycling holiday in September and will be doing 3 consecutive days of around 150km with a fairly serious amount of climbing. I'm building up my mileage and altitude and should be in fairly good shape before heading off but I've been wondering about what kind of food intake I'll be going through.
    Anytime I'm doing a sportive or decent spin I usually eat a good dose of carbs the day before and have a big breakfast and away I go with a few bars and a banana and some jellies but that's just for one day.
    What should I be looking at to be able to get through the 3 days? Keep piling in the carbs in the evenings or should I be upping the protein too or am I completely overthinking this and forget about the specifics and just eat? I'm not against the clock so I can stop for snack break but I don't fancy trying to haul myself up a big bloody mountain for well over an hour with a belly full of grub. Or find myself halfway up and ready to bonk....
    Anyway, all advice is welcome

Where are you doing this? Spain?

Just eat well, in evening eat a really good dinner. Think big steak with and egg or two and plenty spuds/rice or whatever.

Do whatever works for you normally for breakfast and on bike. Get your main calories in when off bike and your body is better equipped to handle the motherload! If dinner is a in evening and your waiting have something decent if you feel hungry before rather than snacking on crap

For me a single beer just after finishing in hot weather is like a tonic. A single not six!!

Have cake today in evening, your on holidays ffs.

Eat well and rest well and 3rd day will be your strongest day. Enjoy especially if Basque country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't overthink it!

Just eat well as ford2600 says. Good breakfast and have a nice relaxed lunch after a few hours in the saddle - if you are on your own, do this when you decide. If you are with a group, make some sort of approximate plan for lunch (especially if you break up during a climb). Don't be tempted to keep going in a group if you are hungry or if you think you will be hungry soon. Let the others know and come to some sort of arrangement. Don't worry about getting back into the saddle after eating - You'll be fine unless you intend hammering up the climbs!

Fill your bottles when the opportunity arises - water can be difficult to source on some high mountain climbs.

And forget about gels and all that crap. Eat normal food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'll be on my own so no problem with stopping whenever I want but I'd be hoping to get my routes covered in good time to relax and recover for the evenings.

@Ford2600- Ya, Spain. Not the Basque Country, Asturias. Sidra!! 40th birthday present to myself :)
    I have half planned for the shorter steeper day first to be able for the steep climbs with fresh legs. Would I be better doing the long spin first and finishing with the vertical stuff? Longest day would be about 170km but with a 40km descent to finish off so really it's a 130. The short day is about 120 but 4000m climbing. You think I'll be stronger by day 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'll be on my own so no problem with stopping whenever I want but I'd be hoping to get my routes covered in good time to relax and recover for the evenings.

@Ford2600- Ya, Spain. Not the Basque Country, Asturias. Sidra!! 40th birthday present to myself :)
    I have half planned for the shorter steeper day first to be able for the steep climbs with fresh legs. Would I be better doing the long spin first and finishing with the vertical stuff? Longest day would be about 170km but with a 40km descent to finish off so really it's a 130. The short day is about 120 but 4000m climbing. You think I'll be stronger by day 3?

If it was me(and it's not and I eat like a lunatic and all that fasted lark), I'd bring lights and have the two shorts days done before breakfast and rest like a pro! That's what I just did in Mallorca.

Use the two days to adjust with the shorter days would be my thinking. Your own bike or rental?

120km with 4000m is going to be brutal so forget about thinking you can make it a little easier! Welcome the pain! I did something very similar in Canaries 2 years ago including VOTT before breakfast, big advantage is keeping you out of heat as much as possible.

After all that they look 3 hard days so it won't matter much what order.

Ime eat well, rest well and stay out of heat as much as possible and you can get stronger not weaker over a few days. Life and duties can get in the way of course! Enjoy it is one underrated area to visit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Hi again. Quick question, slightly OT but training-wise would I be better focussing on hill training or distance or would my usual midweek turbo and weekend jaunt up Wicklow/Sally gap of about 100-120km with 1500-2000m climbing be good enough to cover both. I intend on getting some back to back decent spins in over the next few weeks but I don't want to waste time doing the wrong thing. I've 8 weeks till heading off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement