Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow/Dublin trout fishing

• 04-06-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭

I know maybe including the "dublin" in the thread title was a bit risky, since there's so many threads about the dodder, tolka and other trout hotspots, but maybe something new will come out of it.

I plan to get my first fly rod soon(as I've vigorously posted everywhere many times:) )
    And I'm looking for a nice trouty place to practise. The only place I know in wicklow is Annamoe fishery, but that's a tad expensive to be going on a regular basis.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, MW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Hi there you mentioned a few rivers that hold trout so my advice is get your rod and gear and get out and fish. The best practice you can get is on the river fishing for small trout. Small trout will take a lot easier than the big ones so you can get great practice on them and hone your skills. I don't know if you ever used a fly rod before but if you didn't practice in a field or park with no leader or fly then when you get the hang of casting hit the river. The river will bring new challenges but at least you'll be on the way. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

What Alan said, just head down to the Dodder. Try a few spots around the Dropping well pub and you could get some fish. I havent been down in a few days but the water could be quite low which makes things a bit tricky but its worth a shot. The sedge were starting to hatch in the evenings and the trout can be a bit reckless when going for them. Whenever I bring some friends fishing I wait till the sedge flies are hatching and get them to fish the streamy (faster) water with an elk hair caddis and the trout can nearly hook themselves. Doesn't take too much casting more just flicking it into the faster water and keeping an eye on it. Something like this in size 12 or 14 works quite well.
    tumblr_lzmz67gKrR1qg8e5ko1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭MWforumfisher

Will try the dodder. Thanks for everything Jack and alan, much appreciated :)

Advertisement