Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i stay or should i go?

Options
  • 04-06-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Right I'm not sure if this belongs in Personal Issues or in Work problems.
    Can a mod move if this isn't appropriate?

I am beyond stressed and miserable in work.
    To the point where both my mental and physical health are failing.

I've been in my job a year and a half, they made me permanent last month.
    At Christmas, a guy I worked with upped and left. I was asked to fill in for 4 weeks max as they were badly stuck. 6 months later....here I am.

I absolutely loved my role before I had to do this one. I enjoyed going into work (sad I know).

I'm deteriorating badly, I have been in and out of hospital and my doctors since January. (TBH, I have had to reschedule every one of those appointments numerous of times....I had to wait 3 weeks with wisdom tooth pain before I could get time off). It is a nightmare to have time off in this place.

Don't get me wrong, I like working there but I am burnt out.
    I am depressed, anxious, having panic attacks every now and again.
    I'm angry and stressed all the time.
    Already I don't want to go in on Tuesday.

I have talked to two managers about going back to my old role and I was told no both times, I also asked to go part time and was also told no. I asked to do something else and was told no. My manager said I have holidays coming up and I should see how I feel afterwards.

I cant continue like this. I know I cant.

I don't really know what to do. It terrifies me walking out of a job with nothing lined up.

I have holidays coming up in 2 weeks but I really don't know if I can last that long, I cant even bear the thought of going back on Tuesday.

Anyone have any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Call in sick on Tuesday morning. Don't say what's wrong, just tell them you're going to the doctor today, and cannot come in until you have done so. See your GP on Tuesday, and tell them what you've written here. They should sign you out sick for a period, and you should qualify for welfare during it. Use this time to sort your head out, and maybe to start job-hunting elsewhere (if getting out is what you want to do).

There are claims that you could make against the employer for stress and health impacts. Taking these claims will be stressful in itself, and require a fairly expensive lawyer - unless you are in a union. (If you are in a union - have you talked to them?) It also requires you to have followed company processes and to have evidence of this. Unless you are motivated by getting back at the company, then I wouldn't recommend this path.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,119 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If you stay there will be trouble, if you go it will be double.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,119 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Are they fully aware of how much you want your old role back or did you simply ask and leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Badgerrr7

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Muhammad Ali.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

What does your contract state your role is? If it is your old role, you can refuse to do the new role, and there is little if anything that they can do. You are permanent staff, there over a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't really know what to do. It terrifies me walking out of a job with nothing lined up. ...

Nothing is worth that kinda of stress.

I would plan your exit. Do some interview for other places. Even the idea of leaving will probably make work less stressful if you have an exit plan. Talk it over with your family if appropriate. There might be help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

beauf wrote: »
    Nothing is worth that kinda of stress.

I would plan your exit. Do some interview for other places. Even the idea of leaving will probably make work less stressful if you have an exit plan. Talk it over with your family if appropriate. There might be help there.

Agree entirely with this. Take some practical steps to get out, such as updating CV, searching jobs, contacting agencies etc. You can do this without committing to anything, or revealing anything in your current company.
    You would be surprised how much a little light at the end of the tunnel changes your perspective. You can then take a more balanced view, and decide whether to pursue your job hunt, or recommit to your current employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

screamer wrote: »
    What does your contract state your role is? If it is your old role, you can refuse to do the new role, and there is little if anything that they can do. You are permanent staff, there over a year.

Op was made permanent last month but is in his/her new role for 6 months. The permanent position could be the role he/she is in now, not the temporary/part time role initially employed in. Refusing to do new role having just been made permanent in that role will surely result in dismissal.

While it is obvious that the op is unhappy in his/her job, there is no mention of discrimination/bullying/poor work practices, it would seem that the op is stressed and doesn't like the job. Op should either quit or wait until he/she has found a new job, but begin that new job search immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here.

Thank you for the responses.

MrsOBumble, I don't want to take them to court or anything. I have enjoyed working there, its just the nature of the job is stressful. (I work a 10 hour day with a 15 min break on good days and it can include being screamed at)

BorneTobyWilde
    They know how unhappy I am with the new role. It wasn't a case of ill ask, I did make my case and I still got a no. I had asked previously also and they said yeah in time. But the last time I asked they said the role changed and they are hiring someone else for it.

If I am honest, I don't want to leave, I would happily stay there if I was in a different role. Unfortunately it is not feasible.

I have a long term illness also, stress plays a big part in how its controlled. Right now, its not and it is dangerous for my health and explains why ive been so sick and why I have been in and out of hospital.

Ill go to my doctor tomorrow and explain everything and see what she can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

My advice to you.. take sick leave - especially if you get paid sick leave. During this time, spend money on your health.. counselling, join a gym and pay for a personal trainer, etc, and after 2 weeks or so start job hunting. You're already burnt out and your employer knows and wasn't willing to change... so time to have a clean break from them.

When you hand in your notice, you'll get paid your annual leave and hopefully gardening leave too, so don't worry about money.

Personally, I was in the same situation and instead of finding a new job I went abroad for 3 months and had a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nickla

I don't have any advise on what you should do but if your job is causing you stress your employer is obliged to try to do something about it. The hsa has a publication on work related stress and the obligations of the employer. It might be worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

(I work a 10 hour day with a 15 min break on good days and it can include being screamed at)
    We've fallen a long way as a society when this is simply accepted as the norm nowadays.

I hope when you're being screamed at that you scream back?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Canadel wrote: »
    I hope when you're being screamed at that you scream back?

You do realise that in many public service jobs, this totally is not an option?

OP, glad to hear you've decide on a path. I totally understand not wanting to take it legal - often that is more stress than it's worth. If you really do want to stay there in a more manageable role, though, you may need to threaten to go legal in order to get them to listen to you and agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

You do realise that in many public service jobs, this totally is not an option?
    Sure. Same for most private sector jobs too tbh.

If he's being screamed at by staff members then it's a different story though.

Advertisement