Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa America 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ya, I cashed out my bet after around 10/15 minutes when it was 1:1 so emerged unscathed. Colombia were a shambles at the start, passing to the opposition, goalie was a howler waiting to happen.

I expect Brazil to play their second team tonight too.

Could be wrong about Brazil playing their second string. If Ecuador beat Haiti as expected then they need a draw to qualify, so they may play a strong enough side.

I'll wait for the line ups to be announced, based on that I may well lump on Brazil to win at 1.44.

Encouraging start from Brazil. Have been shouldered off the ball 3 times in the box in first 10 minutes. All were fair, sturdy challenges but they are getting in great positions. They look up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Excellent advert for video technology just there....said nobody ever. Took about 5 minutes and still reached what looked like the wrong decision. Brazil in big trouble here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Absolutely, staggeringly shocking call from the ref to give the goal to Peru after about 5 minutes deliberating with his linesman, he stills gets it wrong. It was a good match up to then as well, Brazil the better team but Peru doing decent in defence.

Corholio wrote: »
    Absolutely, staggeringly shocking call from the ref to give the goal to Peru after about 5 minutes deliberating with his linesman, he stills gets it wrong. It was a good match up to then as well, Brazil the better team but Peru doing decent in defence.

He wasn't deliberating with the linesman, they're testing a video referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Happened to turn this on because i can't sleep. Some amazing scenes. Peru player scores with his arm.
    Confusion over whether officals allow it or not.
    Thought they were consulting a video ref for a minute but they clearly weren't as hand of god II stands! 1-0 to Peru 10mins left.

CSF wrote: »

Ah ya I was wondering why he was standing next to the linesman and didn't seem to be talking to each other. Appalling decision though. The headlines will be about Brazil going out but no team deserves to go out like that.

Ah ya I was wondering why he was standing next to the linesman and didn't seem to be talking to each other. Appalling decision though. The headlines will be about Brazil going out but no team deserves to go out like that.

Who should be stunned that video replays in football we're going to be anything but a disaster?

Not just because of the outcome being wrong, but it took an eternity to come to that decision. You had lads on here going on like it would be instantaneous.

• Advertisement

I've no idea how they came to that decision after watching the replays. Some of the worst officiating I've seen all round.

I've no idea how they came to that decision after watching the replays. Some of the worst officiating I've seen all round.

Yup, extremely blatant.

While Dunga mightn't have been there for all that much longer anyway, he'll probably be sacked now. Cruel way to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Surely Dunga has to go now, hand ball or not, Brazil playing negative football is a crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

US is gana win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ricardo Gareca is a great manager, been a big fan of his for a while now. I don't think he will ever come to Europe but I'd love to see it happen.

Peru have been nowhere for years and he has them playing fantastic football. They are one of the most exciting international teams to watch play.

While Brazil have their issues you gotta give credit to Peru for that performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Haven't watched much of this tournament, stunned Brazil & Uruguay are out already but maybe a sign how serious they are taking it too.
    Don't know why they hired Dunga again tho, then again Argentina are managed by Tata Martino who looked absolutely clueless in his time at Barca

ERG89 wrote: »
    Haven't watched much of this tournament, stunned Brazil & Uruguay are out already but maybe a sign how serious they are taking it too.
    Don't know why they hired Dunga again tho, then again Argentina are managed by Tata Martino who looked absolutely clueless in his time at Barca
    Agree on Dunga but Martino did ok at Barca. Lost the league on the last day to Atletico and lost to the same team in the QF's of the Champion's league. It wasn't a great season for him but he had only one season there and they didn't do badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Who should be stunned that video replays in football we're going to be anything but a disaster?

Not just because of the outcome being wrong, but it took an eternity to come to that decision. You had lads on here going on like it would be instantaneous.

Totally agree. 1st time it has ever been tested in a live environment and it failed so therefore it should be consigned to the dustbin.

There is simply no case to be made for a technology that may help make the correct decision but may not over the current system. The fact that other sports seem to be able to use it is a non issue as football is so uniquely different in the world.

Or maybe, lessons can be learned from this and it can be improved!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Totally agree. 1st time it has ever been tested in a live environment and it failed so therefore it should be consigned to the dustbin.

There is simply no case to be made for a technology that may help make the correct decision but may not over the current system. The fact that other sports seem to be able to use it is a non issue as football is so uniquely different in the world.

Or maybe, lessons can be learned from this and it can be improved!
    The technology takes a pretty similar amount of time in rugby. This isn't a new issue that has crept up with its use in football.

The technology takes a pretty similar amount of time in rugby. This isn't a new issue that has crept up with its use in football.

Wait a second, did the ref have access to replay's and still award the goal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dungaheap ditched

Dungaheap ditched
    Is the heap meant to be a put down?

If it is then you should cop on I think. Dunga was one of the greatest players of his generation and he did win a Copa America and Confederation's Cup as manager too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Shocking Brazil manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Absolutely incorrect. There is no video referee or any kind of testing at Copa America.

Dunga getting sacked is the most shocking thing thats happened in football :P
    Well its Brazil so which former manager gets another turn on the merry go round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dunga getting sacked is the most shocking thing thats happened in football :P
    Well its Brazil so which former manager gets another turn on the merry go round

Will they give Luxemburgo a shot at it now?

Has Zico had a go at them yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Has Zico had a go at them yet

Wouldn't be a bad shout.

He'd try and get them playing Jogo Bonita at the very least.

Wouldn't be a bad shout.

He'd try and get them playing Jogo Bonita at the very least.

No idea how Muricy Ramalho never got a chance at the top, I think hes disliked by the Brazil top brass, but still youd think theyd give him a shot rather than re hiring a failure

Just saw Tite has replaced him, a good step in fairness

• Advertisement

Tite will be a good coach I think, he'll be able to get more out of the players than Dunga did even if the style isn't all that different.

Would have liked to have seen Cuca there, would have been an off the wall choice but would have had an attacking Brazil again, although possibly maybe that extreme isn't the right choice for now.

Chile beat Panama 4-2, they dominated and two goals apiece for Alexis and Vargas. Their defense does look very dodgy though, Isla, Medel and Jara all look like they've regressed over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We went and saw Argentina beat Bolivia last night.

Competitively it was like an exhibition match. Poor old Bolivia never stood a chance. But we were sitting close to the bolivia goal for the second half so we got to watch Messi work his magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Has to be Mario Zagallo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Peru-Columbia. Worst game ever.

I can't believe I am still up watching it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

wonski wrote: »
    Peru-Columbia. Worst game ever.

I can't believe I am still up watching it :(

Switched it on just as the penalties started;)

Nice touch by the Peruvian players to meet the guy that missed the first spot kick as he walked back to the halfway line. I don't think that I've seen that before.

Tears of joy for Rodriguez in this tournament.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Switched it on just as the penalties started;)

Nice touch by the Peruvian players to meet the guy that missed the first spot kick as he walked back to the halfway line. I don't think that I've seen that before.

Tears of joy for Rodriguez in this tournament.

If there was an extra time, I wouldn't even bother watching it and would go to bed after 70 minutes...

I hope tomorrow games will be more interesting.

I didn't realise that it went straight to penalties, I wouldn't be a fan of that.

I think the format of two half's of 15 and then the penos is an easier way to take it, from a players point of view.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that it went straight to penalties, I wouldn't be a fan of that.

I think the format of two half's of 15 and then the penos is an easier way to take it, from a players point of view.

Id be a fan, if they cant do it in 90, just do penalties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Must be sick to see the keeper not dive after doing a paneka

paulie21 wrote: »
    Must be sick to see the keeper not dive after doing a paneka

Why would anyone attempt that when 2 goals down.

https://twitter.com/Marshmont37/status/744317172047032320

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Mexico 0-7 Chile.

It was Brazil 1-7 Germany all over again.

Shocking result that one. Mexico looked like the only team that could possibly take on the Argies in this tournament and then that happens. Chile didn't look good at all in this tournament up to that result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

eagle eye wrote: »
    Shocking result that one. Mexico looked like the only team that could possibly take on the Argies in this tournament and then that happens. Chile didn't look good at all in this tournament up to that result.

I honestly think USA could shock them

Argentina looked a bit shook yesterday at times and were tested by Venezuela

Saying that Messi looks about 3 levels higher than the next best player at the tournament :D

What an amazing achievment if USA can get to the final(and win!) I can see it now, Klinsmann calls Pulisic from the bench to replace Bobby Wood late on, Bradley puts in a crunching tackle on James just outside the D, and sees a young Pulisic in space, it is a tired pass but Pulisic takes it brilliantly, evading the lazy challenge from Carlos Sanchez leaving him for dead. Clint 'Deuce' Dempsey is in space but Pulisic sees his name in lights, Daniel Torres tries to bring him down but he skips by him and races towards David Ospina's net. Zardes makes a clever run taking Christian Zapata with him, allowing Pulisic to race in and curl an 18 yard shot into the bottom corner. USA ARE CHAMPIONS OF THE AMERICAS AND A STAR IS BORN!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I wonder if something like this can happen. It should be a close game.

Kobe248 wrote: »
    I honestly think USA could shock them

Argentina looked a bit shook yesterday at times and were tested by Venezuela

Saying that Messi looks about 3 levels higher than the next best player at the tournament :D

US have 3 players suspended making their situation even worse.

the game is tonight right? are setanta not showing it

Mec27 wrote: »
    the game is tonight right? are setanta not showing it

It is tonight. No idea if Setanta is showing it, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement