Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kerry

Options
  • 31-05-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Do not use Kerry broadband. This is what I am paying 50 a month for.
    b2f53418a5b21645f18cf499c3dc6184.png

Customer service is rubbish they refuse to admit there is something wrong. Left with no option at this point but to cancel in the morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Customer service is rubbish they refuse to admit there is something wrong. Left with no option at this point but to cancel in the morning.

50 a month? what speeds are you supposed to be getting up to?

Im on the 25 euro a month package and getting between 5 and 9mbps download

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Supposed to be getting almost 20. Haven't seen those speeds since they changed the package.

5369841435.png

Re customer service,ringing them I found is a waste of time but using the customer service portal on their website has always worked and they have solved any problems fairly fast,remember to include your customer pin number when contacting them

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

It has been rubbish lately, not reliable at all.
    When it's good I get about 4mb but that's rare

I have gone through the portal numerous times. I was Daily stand up he 25 a month and was still getting the crap speeds posted above. Asked to go to the net platinum package to see if there is any improvement.

There was for 2 - 3 days where I was seeing speeds of 20 +MB days they it swan dived to what you see above.

Yet they still claim there is no issue.

• Advertisement

I have gone through the portal numerous times. I was Daily stand up he 25 a month and was still getting the crap speeds posted above. Asked to go to the net platinum package to see if there is any improvement.

There was for 2 - 3 days where I was seeing speeds of 20 +MB days they it swan dived to what you see above.

Yet they still claim there is no issue.

What you did was suggested to me also, I'm happy I didn't go with it now.
    I suppose they told you it has to do with the contention ratio?

There is an operator in the north of the country who use the same technology as Kerry Broadband and they have the same issues with even worse support if you can believe it.

Google north west electronics / bluebox for more info or search boards

Yup they said it was down to the contention ratio. How can they advertise the package as ideal for heavy internet users and online gaming when it barely handles netflix.

I got a response back from them asking for the usual trace cert results, then 2 minutes got another one stating to disregard as
    they identified an issue on that sector and our lads are onsite as I type replacing the unit.

First time they have admitted the fault was on their end.
    hopefully it will get resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

I've been with Kerry Broadband for the past 12 months and never had a problem with it. I work from home and need to be connected all day.
    Sorry to hear it's not working for you, can be very frustrating as I found when on the landline and getting .5mb with plenty of disconnects.
    Hopefully they fix the issue for you

Yup they said it was down to the contention ratio. How can they advertise the package as ideal for heavy internet users and online gaming when it barely handles netflix.

I got a response back from them asking for the usual trace cert results, then 2 minutes got another one stating to disregard as

First time they have admitted the fault was on their end.
    hopefully it will get resolved.

You should ask them for the public ip that is promised as part of your package and see the excuses you get

pickled101 wrote: »
    I've been with Kerry Broadband for the past 12 months and never had a problem with it. I work from home and need to be connected all day.
    Sorry to hear it's not working for you, can be very frustrating as I found when on the landline and getting .5mb with plenty of disconnects.

Which package are you on if you don't mind me asking?

I really want it to work as there are not many alternatives

• Advertisement

g1983d wrote: »
    You should ask them for the public ip that is promised as part of your package and see the excuses you get

Are we supposed to get a public Ip. I wasn't aware of that.

Are we supposed to get a public Ip. I wasn't aware of that.

I just had a look at there website and they have updated their packages which shows no public IP

Lucky for me I have a screenshot of when I joined last year showing the package I agreed to and I'm not getting

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Which package are you on if you don't mind me asking?

I really want it to work as there are not many alternatives

Just the Net Basic package and I get the signal from up where the dump used to be (Kielduff area)

Just the Net Basic package and I get the signal from up where the dump used to be (Kielduff area)

I went for the net premium as I wanted the static ip and I'm off the same mast.

They said I needed a good reason to get the fixed IP.
    Apparently wanting to access cctv system is not a good enough reason

Apparently wanting to access cctv system is not a good enough reason

I wonder what would be classed as a good enough reason.

I wonder what would be classed as a good enough reason.

Why wouldn't it be, I wanted to be able to access my cctv remotely.
    I signed up to a package that said I would get a static ip.

I didn't think I'd actually need any reason seeing as it was advertised

Why wouldn't it be, I wanted to be able to access my cctv remotely.

You misunderstood. I was agreeing that it is a perfectly valid reason for having a static IP.

I meant if that wasn't a valid reason what would they class as a valid reason.

You misunderstood. I was agreeing that it is a perfectly valid reason for having a static IP.

I meant if that wasn't a valid reason what would they class as a valid reason.

Oh sorry, I get you now.

Who knows with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Oh sorry, I get you now.

Who knows with them

It's a feast of a famine with KBB I'm getting 10 megabits download speeds during peak hours tonight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Are any of ye in an area soon to be enabled @ http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

^^ getting a 404 error there

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

^^ getting a 404 error there

Works ok for me, try again, I copied the URL again.

marno21 wrote: »
    Are any of ye in an area soon to be enabled @ http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ ?

I am but Eir don't have any dates for this.
    It could be another 3 or 4 years

I'm right at the end of one of the blue lines. Probably the 2nd last house before it ends So I won't hold my breath.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It's a feast of a famine with KBB I'm getting 10 megabits download speeds during peak hours tonight.

Currently getting 19.73 down and 10 Up. They seem to have sorted out my issue which was a faulty antenna.

Currently getting 19.73 down and 10 Up. They seem to have sorted out my issue which was a faulty antenna.

Mine is the highest it's been since I got it. Nearly 9mb down

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

This is a New thread for any queries or recommendations on broadband in Kerry. Please use this thread instead of the town threads. Thanks. Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That EIR FTTH plan is very ambitious, certainly in terms of having it completed for 2020.

The broadband provider currently used at home is kernet which is pretty good for wireless. Speeds are consistent and no issue with data usage.

It's sufficient until FTTH arrives IMO.

I think we should keep this thread going purely for progress on the fibre network in Kerry.

If anyone is using Imagine LTE

Post up a speedtest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

If anyone is using Imagine LTE

Post up a speedtest

They can't because their internet is probably down :p

By the way there is a good thread here on the progress of the national broadband scheme

Advertisement