Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

unkymo wrote:
    2 weeks later and I've still no broadband! There's a blockage at my house and they have dig a hole somewhere but Siro can't be installed until the other company clear the blockage! Looks like another week or two before it's installed.

The blockage was cleared yesterday so I'm good to go for the installation. According to Vodafone I should be up and running by the weekend at the latest.

Also they sent me a code for 6 months free Netflix which I didn't ask for. I'm not complaining though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Jesus KBB are not great tonight

5605562917.png

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

5609203871.png

Handy that I only use Kerry Broadband during the day 9 to 5 when everybody is at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sobs

5609389686.png

Ran a speedtest for KBB a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

sobs wrote: »
    5609389686.png

Ran a speedtest for KBB a few minutes ago

Try it at 7 or 8 this evening, they are a disaster, over subscribed and they say 0.5mb is acceptable

• Advertisement

g1983d wrote: »
    Try it at 7 or 8 this evening, they are a disaster, over subscribed and they say 0.5mb is acceptable

Im on the platinum plan atm. When I was on the premium plan it was a waste of time after 6pm. Ill test it again this eve but i think it usually doesn't drop below 5mb which is fine for my needs. Streams Hulu and Netflix no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

g1983d wrote: »

Im on the platinum plan atm. When I was on the premium plan it was a waste of time after 6pm. Ill test it again this eve but i think it usually doesn't drop below 5mb which is fine for my needs. Streams Hulu and Netflix no problem.

Cheers, I was going to upgrade to that plan but a couple of people have said it drops back a lot I the evening also, that plus the attitude I get if I call has me thinking of trying imagines LTE offering even though its more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Thinking of trying imagine also. Speeds are dire in the evening and I'm on the 50 a month package ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Damokc

They do have their moments. Tested at 19:47
    5610543958.png

5610620533.png

Tested at 8.20pm this eve. Youtube streaming in other room whether that makes a difference or not?

• Advertisement

Good news; I got the 150MB Siro installed today.

Bad news; The speeds are more or less the same, it's 60Mbs with Siro while the fibre broadband was 50Mbs.

I'll leave it for a few days to see if it improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

5610620533.png

Tested at 8.20pm this eve. Youtube streaming in other room whether that makes a difference or not?

Yeah it would, try testing with a ethernet cable and without the likes of YouTube or Netflix running at the same time. Be interesting to see how the results compares to other packages with KBB
    Thinking of trying imagine also. Speeds are dire in the evening and I'm on the 50 a month package ...
    Was gonna try them but can't get signal where I am, they keep ring me too trying to get me to sign up :(

The future is here in Tralee! Bless you Siro :D:D

Speedtest.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Full HD Redtube without buffering....you lucky bastard!!

HD TV! I'll have to buy a 4k TV now :):) HD isn't going to be good enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My parents neighbourhood in Tralee being ripped up at the moment for upgraded broadband. The speeds in their area have taken a dip recently. Not sure if that's due to the transition as part of this upgrade. They're with Vodafone.

Customer service Kerry broadband style:

ME
    Subject:
    Slow speeds for the last week
    Hi, My connection has been very slow in the last few weeks during peak and off-peak hours. This speedtest and traceroute was done with a wired connection to the router within a few seconds of each other. Any sort of streaming is impossible at anything over 240P http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5654467327 Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1
    etc.

KBB
    Hi,

Can you do the tests connected directly to our black POE unit and NOT via your router as it is giving inaccurate results.

Regards

Paul

ME
    Hi Paul,

Here are the results connected straight to the POE unit

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5654566713

tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 483 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.250
    2 2 ms 4 ms 81 ms 10.1.13.254
    3 2 ms 3 ms 4 ms core-bgp-rt1.kerrybroadband.net [81.24.248.1]
    4 10 ms 9 ms 12 ms kbb-dub02-inex.kerrybroadband.net [81.24.248.241]
    5 172 ms 161 ms 157 ms inex.google.com [193.242.111.57]
    6 36 ms 11 ms 11 ms 209.85.250.213
    7 26 ms 24 ms 31 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

KBB
    Hi The tralee server is the only one we have access to.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was it, no further contact. Case closed as far as they were concerned.

Unreal. Ours is shocking tonight . Can't even play videos on YouTube .. Speed test giving 0.15

Roll on January and KBB will be gone bye bye

Have you considered getting in touch with ComReg? They might be able to help terminate your contract

There is no alternative where I am unfortunately. I'm going to check out imagine lte whenever they arrive at the end of the year

• Advertisement

My broadband has just died tonight . No connectivity through their little black box via the CAT 5 cable despite multiple restarts . Thanks KBB

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

Been bad the last couple of weeks, going to ring them tomorrow, just on and off. Usually after I ring them it gets sorted out.

I'll be bringing them also. Going to make the jump to imagine. Surly it can't be as poor as KBB service ..

Recieved this just now ..

NO-REPLY-We currently have a fault at one of our North Kerry sites affecting clients. We should have service restored at 9pm. Kerry Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Contractors for Eir are running fibre up the knockawaddra road. Spoke with one of them and he says Eir should be offering fibre to residents around the new year!!

That will be a happy new year!

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Knockawaddra+Rd,+Tralee,+Co.+Kerry/@52.290553,-9.6585218,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x484535189b10608b:0x8e48521140394b01!8m2!3d52.290553!4d-9.6563331

There's a sign at the top of the by-road where I live stating LTE-Fibre is available, I'm around 1/4 of a km from the sign but I can't get it due to signal being blocked..just seems cruel!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

siblers wrote: »
    There's a sign at the top of the by-road where I live stating LTE-Fibre is available, I'm around 1/4 of a km from the sign but I can't get it due to signal being blocked..just seems cruel!

There is nothing on the feckin internet anyway!

siblers wrote: »

How did you find out that the signal was blocked? It's not strictly line-of-sight by the way, it uses 4g technology so it's like mobile coverage as far as I know.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    How did you find out that the signal was blocked? It's not strictly line-of-sight by the way, it uses 4g technology so it's like mobile coverage as far as I know.

I was reading in the Imagine LTE thread in the broadband forum about users not being able to get it due to trees etc blocking the signal. The antenna is up the short mountain where all the the antennas/base stations are from other operators, I don't have line of sight due to tress. I luckily couldn't get KBB because there was no LOS from my house.
    I might give them a ring anyway to see what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi All

Looking some help.
    So basically live in rural Kerry. Have no landline connection to my house, and even if i had I would not be able to get connected as there is no capability for this at the exchange in my area ( sorry i think this is the right terminoloy ). Basically if I want broadband I need to get a wireless provider.

So I have been with a wireless broadband provider for last couple of years. The connections speeds are ridiculous. We don't need much capacity as we dont use it much, but we mostly can only get about 1mb download speed ( i know, in this day and age its a joke ). I can upgrade to the company 6mb package but they can only garauntee me 3mb ??!??! Makes no sense to me....

Anyway sorry for rambling, basically what I want to know is has anyone ever used the Vodafone mobile broadband system - see link below - and what do you think,

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/onlineAnywhere/mobileBroadband/mobileBroadbandHome.jsp?subPage=devices&groupFilteringValue=1300002

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
    JB

Advertisement