Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What provider are you currently with and what mast are you connected to? Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Im in lixnaw area, and getting service from Knockanure mountain as far as i know.
    Have you any experience with the Vodafone Mobile Broadband??

Are you in Ardfert village or out more rural? I thought Fibre was coming to Ardfert at some stage but could be wrong.

If you go to http://www.imagine.ie/ they have a live chat option, if you give them your address, they can check if you have coverage. I never used Vodafone broadband but you'd be better off trying Imagine first. Alternativley, you can try Iveragh broadband or Kingdom broadband.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

JB81 wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking some help.
    So basically live in rural Kerry. Have no landline connection to my house, and even if i had I would not be able to get connected as there is no capability for this at the exchange in my area ( sorry i think this is the right terminoloy ). Basically if I want broadband I need to get a wireless provider.

So I have been with a wireless broadband provider for last couple of years. The connections speeds are ridiculous. We don't need much capacity as we dont use it much, but we mostly can only get about 1mb download speed ( i know, in this day and age its a joke ). I can upgrade to the company 6mb package but they can only garauntee me 3mb ??!??! Makes no sense to me....

Anyway sorry for rambling, basically what I want to know is has anyone ever used the Vodafone mobile broadband system - see link below - and what do you think,

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/onlineAnywhere/mobileBroadband/mobileBroadbandHome.jsp?subPage=devices&groupFilteringValue=1300002

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
    JB

Moved into the broadband thread. Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Has anyone tried just getting a sim from 3/Meteor/Vodafone and using a wireless router that way? i.e. your router acts like a phone/hotspot and you use internet that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

Yep, I put the router in the roof, signal was OK, but I have a 20G cap and got some serious bills when it went over, now there is some way of enforcing the cap on the router but if the family gets on the wireless it the CAP will be reached soon with Netflix/Youtube etc... So I have KBB when that goes bad I plug in the 3g dongle into PC. Low tech but I am not afraid of the bill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

This has already been discussed before but just wondering what are the best options in the tralee town area for broadband in a home with no phone line? I know people were having problems with Vodafone a few weeks back but are there any alternatives? Just want to stream, not to download etc. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

pookiesboo wrote: »
    This has already been discussed before but just wondering what are the best options in the tralee town area for broadband in a home with no phone line? I know people were having problems with Vodafone a few weeks back but are there any alternatives? Just want to stream, not to download etc. Thanks in advance.

Moved the the dedicated broadband thread. Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paluiz

I recently moved to a house a few km outside Portmagee and need to sort out broadband. The house has a phone line though I don't currently subscribe to a phone service and don't particularly want a landline. There is no fibre - it's shown as planned for 2017-8 so could be a while before it's on the doorstep.

I could go for a straightforward deal from either eir, vodafone or pure - the latter is slightly the cheapest but I don't know anything about them and their customer base seems quite small. I've read lots of negative comments about the other two, though maybe satisfied customers don't post much.

The main alternative to a phone line would be a satellite service. According to switcher, I can get these from europasat or qsat. At first glance the deals look much worse than those on offer via telephone line (slower, limited download, more expensive) - so much so that it seems unlikely anyone would bother with them. Presumably they do have customers, so maybe what they offer actually works better? I'd rather have most of "up to 10MB" than very little of "up to 24MB".

I have also found Ivertec Broadband that is delivered via a signal to a nearby mast. I have no experience of using this sort of service and have never heard of the company. They seem quite good value and installation is not too expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of any of the above? Able to recommend the service? Also happy to hear about any alternatives I've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bog master

I am with Ivertec and well pleased with the service. On the 6Mb plan and speed wise rarely drops below 5Mb at peak time and generally hovering around the 6 mark. One small downside is the 4Gb daily download allowance, however there is no penalty. Exceed the 4Gb and you get throttled to about 2Mb, however the throttling only lasts until midnight. From midnight normal speed returns and there is NO linit on download until 8 am, at which point your counter starts so to speak.

Have had only 3 or 4 short downtimes over the last couple of years, the worst was maybe down for a couple of hours, mostly short downtimes of half hour or less due to weather or maintenance.

Higher speed and larger or no download allowance would be nice, but remember where you are!!!!!!

Feel free to PM if you wish for any further info.

Bogger

• Advertisement

paluiz wrote: »
    I recently moved to a house a few km outside Portmagee and need to sort out broadband. The house has a phone line though I don't currently subscribe to a phone service and don't particularly want a landline. There is no fibre - it's shown as planned for 2017-8 so could be a while before it's on the doorstep.

I could go for a straightforward deal from either eir, vodafone or pure - the latter is slightly the cheapest but I don't know anything about them and their customer base seems quite small. I've read lots of negative comments about the other two, though maybe satisfied customers don't post much.

The main alternative to a phone line would be a satellite service. According to switcher, I can get these from europasat or qsat. At first glance the deals look much worse than those on offer via telephone line (slower, limited download, more expensive) - so much so that it seems unlikely anyone would bother with them. Presumably they do have customers, so maybe what they offer actually works better? I'd rather have most of "up to 10MB" than very little of "up to 24MB".

I have also found Ivertec Broadband that is delivered via a signal to a nearby mast. I have no experience of using this sort of service and have never heard of the company. They seem quite good value and installation is not too expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of any of the above? Able to recommend the service? Also happy to hear about any alternatives I've missed.

Post moved into the Broadband thread. Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Firstly forget about fibre. The national broadband plan won't be rolled out til 2022 at the earliest.

If you can get decent service over a landline then that is the way to go, no other technology can compete. It doesn't matter if you go with Eir or Vodafone, they are both selling the same product just with different pricing plans. Eir own all the phonelines and Vodafone just buy from them wholesale and resell it on to their customers. Usually they can send out an engineer to see what speeds are available to you before you sign up.

If you can't get decent service from a phoneline then unfortunately you'll need to go with a wireless provider like Ivertec. The problem with wireless is they have limited capacity and the more customers they have, the slower the service particularly during peak times in the evening when everyone is on Netflix and youtube.

Your last port of call would be satellite but you shouldn't touch this unless you live on an oil rig in the middle of the north atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paluiz

Bogger and xxyyzz - thanks both for your thoughts; the neighbours don't use the phone line so I assume it's pretty poor and will probably go with Ivertec. Fingers crossed for fibre!

Bogger and xxyyzz - thanks both for your thoughts; the neighbours don't use the phone line so I assume it's pretty poor and will probably go with Ivertec. Fingers crossed for fibre!

Your welcome Neighbour!

bog master wrote: »
    I am with Ivertec and well pleased with the service. On the 6Mb plan and speed wise rarely drops below 5Mb at peak time and generally hovering around the 6 mark. One small downside is the 4Gb daily download allowance, however there is no penalty. Exceed the 4Gb and you get throttled to about 2Mb, however the throttling only lasts until midnight. From midnight normal speed returns and there is NO linit on download until 8 am, at which point your counter starts so to speak.

Have had only 3 or 4 short downtimes over the last couple of years, the worst was maybe down for a couple of hours, mostly short downtimes of half hour or less due to weather or maintenance.

Higher speed and larger or no download allowance would be nice, but remember where you are!!!!!!

Feel free to PM if you wish for any further info.

Bogger
    Where does it say about the 4gb fair usage policy? I'm on the 10gb package and there was never a mention of speeds being throttled.

siblers wrote: »
    Where does it say about the 4gb fair usage policy? I'm on the 10gb package and there was never a mention of speeds being throttled.

Though the company were a pleasure to deal, I will admit that they did not mention this to me at time of order or when the install was being done. I noticed speeds dropped when doing a large amount of downloading for my online course. Ran Speedtest and yes was down to 2Mb. Before ringing Ivertec, reckoned I best check if anything about throttling was on their website, and....................

3.9 in Terms & Conditions

6Mb package is 4 Gig download-throttles to 2Mb
    10Mb package is 6 Gig download-throttles to 3Mb

Interesting, I'll need to keep an eye on that. My speeds drop during peak time but always figured that was due to congestion. Will check to see what happens if I go over 6gb.

@kev_Makaveli post removed as it could be potentially libellous. It seems to have been removed from Tralee do you know page also. Mod

I'm the neighbour mentioned in the post and it was all true but I can see where you are coming from. It was disgraceful behaviour.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm the neighbour mentioned in the post and it was all true but I can see where you are coming from. It was disgraceful behaviour.

I don't doubt its true and it sounds disgraceful but just to be safe as boards could get in a lot of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

I would go for Satellite as a last resort. I had it for a year or so my recollection is 600e to buy the kit and get it installed. It was 30e for 10GB volume per month and then some charge per GB after. It is fast in Mbps but it is slow for interactive applications (latency). Meaning once your youtube starts downloading it wont stall for lack of bandwidth but something like Skype will be frustrating as you will be talking over each other.
    I think the Wireless providers are best option.
    Ironic considering Valentia is the place where the first cable was laid to US :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

In fairness Kerry broadband is not that bad lads.

5893779689.png

If they paid me I wouldn't go back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I have been with Kerry Broadband for two years now and I have to say I have had no problems with the service

Luck of the draw I suppose

I have been with Kerry Broadband for two years now and I have to say I have had no problems with the service

Luck of the draw I suppose

I started out reasonably OK with them but they very quickly turned an absolute omnishambles. As you can see from the posts above I'm not even permitted on boards to post my final experience with them, it would sound too far fetched to be believed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

xxyyzz wrote: »
    If they paid me I wouldn't go back to them
    I 2nd that, took great pleasure lately emailing them to take their crap off my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

I'm only paying for the 7mb package but usually get way more. hope they can't identify my account from this!

5895916147.png

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

pickled101 wrote: »
    I'm only paying for the 7mb package but usually get way more. hope they can't identify my account from this!

5895916147.png

I guess contention becomes less of a problem as everyone leaves :-)

pickled101 wrote: »

5895916147.png

What are your speeds like between 9 and 11pm? Mine dropped from about 8 or 9 Mbps during the day to 0.4Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bump

Just got an e-mail off Kerry Broadband saying

Kerry Broadband is pleased to announce that we are now providing dedicated fibre connections to homes and business customers in selected areas in Kerry.

You can now experience unlimited broadband speeds from 100Mb to 1Gb from as little as €55 per month.

We plan to start connecting our first customers in May 2017 so register your interest now by emailing your name, contact number and Eircode.

Advertisement