Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

They're just reseling the Eir stuff. I wouldn't touch them with a 40ft pole. Without doubt the worst customer service of any ISP out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

xxyyzz wrote: »
    They're just reseling the Eir stuff. I wouldn't touch them with a 40ft pole. Without doubt the worst customer service of any ISP out there.

I've been with them for a couple of years and never had any problems with them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ive noticed in the past few weeks that the speedtests have got better with Kerry Broadband,jumped from 8mbps to around 14/15mbps,speeds seem to be holding at the weekend as well as usually they would drop

6265520579.png

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Ive noticed in the past few weeks that the speedtests have got better with Kerry Broadband,jumped from 8mbps to around 14/15mbps,speeds seem to be holding at the weekend as well as usually they would drop

6265520579.png
    Probably because they are losing so many customers, contention not an issue when you've no customers

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Maybe this thread should be renamed to the Bash Kerry Broadband Thread :-)

I'm with them 3 years and never been a problem

I need it for work and the signal is consistently reliable, speed is not everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

I have been with KBB for 5 years I need it for work, before that I had Satellite and 3G (3 then O2). All in all I think KBB do a great job, we have had our ups and downs, but look I decided to live in the middle of no where in Kerry. Complaining about not having decent broadband speeds is impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Provide a rubbish service get branded as a rubbish service..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Hey guys. Is there anyone here using Ripplecom or know anybody with them? I've seen the few threads on Boards and they don't exude confidence! However they are all old threads. Anyone know anything "real" about them?

Damokc wrote: »
    Hey guys. Is there anyone here using Ripplecom or know anybody with them? I've seen the few threads on Boards and they don't exude confidence! However they are all old threads. Anyone know anything "real" about them?

I know their Chief Technical Officer lives near Camp and is very experienced with all things network related.

Give them a call if your interested

Long story, trying to keep it short

Fibre was rolled out up my road last November and each time I called Eir they tested my line and said it was not available even though I was looking out the window at it on top of the ESB pole!

So after about 5 phone calls over the past few months, the other day they checked the line and it was still not available
    I said it is showing as available if I put my Eircode into your website.
    So they 'updated' my account with the Eircode and tested the line...and fibre IS available

I was always asking why test my old phone line as that has nothing to do with the new Fibre

KN networks are coming tomorrow to upgrade my 2.5mb connection to 150mb!!

I'll believe it when I get it but God they are fairly pathetic in Eir customer support

Up knockawaddra road for anyone that is interested

If it works I'll go around and let the neighbours know

• Advertisement

pickled101 wrote: »

Fibre was rolled out up my road last November and each time I called Eir they tested my line and said it was not available even though I was looking out the window at it on top of the ESB pole!

So after about 5 phone calls over the past few months, the other day they checked the line and it was still not available
    So they 'updated' my account with the Eircode and tested the line...and fibre IS available

I was always asking why test my old phone line as that has nothing to do with the new Fibre

I'll believe it when I get it but God they are fairly pathetic in Eir customer support

Post a speedtest when you get up and running

I'll do a before and after :-)

Before:

6391722619.png

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I had the same with them but wasn't as patient as you :-) stayed on the phone until they agreed
    Came out the following week installed fibre and now getting 60 to 90 mb
    Signed up for the 150mb package so must give them a call but really, I'm happy with what I have.
    Farmers Bridge area outside Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

As far as i am know, Eir do not put fibre on the ESB pole ... That is SIRO (joint venture between ESB & Vodafone) .. so are you sure you are looking at the right pole for your connection ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I know their Chief Technical Officer lives near Camp and is very experienced with all things network related.

Give them a call if your interested

And according to their website, they don't cover Upper Camp :-/

Having desperate trouble getting broadband out there, girlfriends father is about 5km outside the village on the main road (Towards Annascaul) and none of the providers offer anything out there other than really dodgy 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

oeb wrote: »
    And according to their website, they don't cover Upper Camp :-/

Having desperate trouble getting broadband out there, girlfriends father is about 5km outside the village on the main road (Towards Annascaul) and none of the providers offer anything out there other than really dodgy 3G.

There is always a good solution to this problem. Takes some ingenuity at times to find it.

1. Get a few names of the locals who would sign up if they had coverage. Go to the wireless providers (KBB, Ripplecom, Invertec) tell them how many people and approximate location.
    2. Again get a few folks together, find who has best line of sight to cell towers and put 1 or more cellular antenna pointed at the cell towers and connect the houses with a wireless mesh network.
    3. Find someone probably a farmer or two who is connected to fibre grid and run your own cable. (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37974267)
    4. Wait and someone will lay fibre at some stage
    5. Go into Dwyers shop and he will sell you the internet over the counter :)

This stuff is not rocket science get stuck in and you will find a solution

I'll do a before and after :-)

Before:

6391722619.png

After:
    6395198885.png

And it is on the phone pole not esb as I said earlier

I'm getting 148mb when connected directly to the modem

Might get onto Eir to see if they can do anything about that!

After:
    6395198885.png

And it is on the phone pole not esb as I said earlier

I'm getting 148mb when connected directly to the modem

Might get onto Eir to see if they can do anything about that!

A small bit of an improvement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 karj28

i recently got connected to kerry broadband as my vodafone connection was bad hope I am not going to regret it reading these posts :( the speeds are fairly good but I have noticed a few nights now the the connection drops completely for about 3 to 5 minutes and then comes back again. Speed is away better then what I had though.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

karj28 wrote: »
    i recently got connected to kerry broadband as my vodafone connection was bad hope I am not going to regret it reading these posts :( the speeds are fairly good but I have noticed a few nights now the the connection drops completely for about 3 to 5 minutes and then comes back again. Speed is away better then what I had though.

I've been with Kerry broadband for 3/4 years now and had very few problems to be honest. Between xbox/Netflix/phones etc, we have a fairly high internet usage and have found it pretty good and reliable. Havent had any problems with connection dropping

• Advertisement

Chieftain wrote: »
    I've been with Kerry broadband for 3/4 years now and had very few problems to be honest. Between xbox/Netflix/phones etc, we have a fairly high internet usage and have found it pretty good and reliable. Havent had any problems with connection dropping

My connection does drop a bit at night for a few hours as well,but it isnt a big problem,been with them as well for three years now and have found them very easy to deal with and have any very little problems as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Has anyone had siro installed in Tralee yet and if so is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I live near Sneem in Kerry. I have an service with one wireless provider, but I have just found Ivertec, has anyone used them ? Whats the service like ?

Also does anyone use the 4G Three tower in sneem, what sort of performance does that give ?

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I had 10mb Ivertec package when I lived in Kerry, it was quite good. They had very good customer service and it was very stable and reliable, speeds did drop due to congestion during peak but rarely ever went below 5 mb p/s. I've not been with them in over a year so their speeds may be faster now, I imagine down in Sneem there would be less congestion so you'd probably get faster speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 4 space200

One of my friends lives in sneem has broadband from a company called sccbroadband he was on mobile and was hitting his limits as he and I are big games he is very happy with the now cause we both can ply battlefield against the world booom :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Anyone using Kingdom Broadband?
    I like that there no contract. You pay monthly.
    Is it good service?
    Looking for wireless broadband in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Anyone using Kingdom Broadband?
    I like that there no contract. You pay monthly.
    Is it good service?
    Looking for wireless broadband in Tralee.

No idea, hopefully someone will reply BUT what good value.... much better than the other wireless providers in the area.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Has anyone installed SIRO 1000MB Fibre Broadband in Tralee yet ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

amadain wrote: »
    Has anyone installed SIRO 1000MB Fibre Broadband in Tralee yet ?

Yes, we got it installed in November. It seems fine, I don't know if I notice a major difference. My only issue was the length of time it took to get it all done. Delay after delay and then extra work had to be done before we could get it installed. We had to have our monitored alarm system changed as it doesn't work if you have it. This wasn't explained to us at the beginning and was part of the delay. Another delay was having to get the rod dug up outside the house, which resulted in another rebooking. I don't know if I'd recommend it, but it seems ok. We did have one outage just before Christmas which lasted from about 9pm to 2pm the following day. Vodafone have awful customer service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Hi there!
    Just wondering if anyone has changed their home broadband to Vodafone recently and if so were you happy with the changeover process?
    I had a nightmare a few years back but am getting a bad deal from Eir currently.
    Thanks

Advertisement