Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was born in the wrong era for music....

Options
  • 05-06-2016 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

We all hear that from time to time or see it written somewhere on an internet comment section. Well I have to say no you weren't born in the wrong era your in the right era now with the power of the internet you can enjoy practically any type of music ever recorder with a simple search online.... Now no more moaning out of use yis have the internet and can listen to any music use want so just enjoy it for gods sake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah, but having it on the internet easily searchable isn't the same thing as actually living it, growing up in a particular era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Yeah, but having it on the internet easily searchable isn't the same thing as actually living it, growing up in a particular era.

I know but you can get a feel of the atmosphere and listen to the music, so get the same kicks now as people where getting back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

tomofson wrote: »
    I know but you can get a feel of the atmosphere and listen to the music, so get the same kicks now as people where getting back then.

Wouldn't really be the same thing, whereas years ago if you wanted a new album by a band, you had to go out and buy it, not have it freely available..

Plus in bygone years, there was an excitement to buying something new.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't really be the same thing, whereas years ago if you wanted a new album by a band, you had to go out and buy it, not have it freely available..

Plus in bygone years, there was an excitement to buying something new.

Yeah I understand all that but this era still isn't all that bad, the music out is pox but you dont have to listen to it you can look up whatever on your phone and listen to whatever or put whatever on your mp3. I know we had to go out and buy it I can remember those days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

tomofson wrote:
    We all hear that from time to time or see it written somewhere on an internet comment section. Well I have to say no you weren't born in the wrong era your in the right era now with the power of the internet you can enjoy practically any type of music ever recorder with a simple search online.... Now no more moaning out of use yis have the internet and can listen to any music use want so just enjoy it for gods sake.

Think your missing the whole point of that argument part of it was living it, I remember the metal late 80s and early 90s it's not the same to just stream a Metallica album as it was to have friends all gather round and live it.

• Advertisement

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Think your missing the whole point of that argument part of it was living it, I remember the metal late 80s and early 90s it's not the same to just stream a Metallica album as it was to have friends all gather round and live it.

You can still have friends all gather around and live it, organize parties and get together's and make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

tomofson wrote:
    You can still have friends all gather around and live it, organize parties and get together's and make it happen.

Not really mate for certain genres. People grown up moved on families work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Anybody got a spare ticket to see The Beatles in Marlay Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I feel like I was born at the right time, I wouldn't change anything. I'd hate to have to live in 70s Ireland and have little or no access to music outside the mainstream. I probably wouldn't have discovered bands like Can, Neu! and Big Star during the 70s.

People should be thankful for the access they have to music these days. There's far more options available to them to discover music on their own terms. Instead of having crap like Muse shoved down their throats on the radio they can always listen to The War on Drugs.
    Why would anybody want to do this? Music for me always has been and always will be a personal experience. If you want to get the most out of music then put on a good pair of headphones and immerse yourself in it, rather than having friends influencing your thoughts.

I feel like I was born at the right time, I wouldn't change anything. I'd hate to have to live in 70s Ireland and have little or no access to music outside the mainstream. I probably wouldn't have discovered bands like Can, Neu! and Big Star during the 70s.

People should be thankful for the access they have to music these days. There's far more options available to them to discover music on their own terms. Instead of having crap like Muse shoved down their throats on the radio they can always listen to The War on Drugs.

Why would anybody want to do this? Music for me always has been and always will be a personal experience. If you want to get the most out of music then put on a good pair of headphones and immerse yourself in it, rather than having friends influencing your thoughts.

I agree with you on your first points and partially agree with you on the second one, music can be a personal thing for me depending on the type of music or even the individual song, but I still like social things like concerts and stuff got to do with music.

• Advertisement

I like going to gigs with friends too. But when I do it's usually for a band in common that we like but personally I wouldn't be the biggest fan of. I basically have to compromise to a degree. I'd rather go see a band that I love even if it's on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There is no doubt that things have never been better as far as musical choice is concerned. However, I agree with the point made about "living it". IMO music is meant to be experienced in a live setting, where vibes feed back and forth between audience and musician alike.

For me, the thrill was seeing a favourite band live and perhaps buying an LP or CD (if available) on the way out of the gig/concert as a memento. Granted, you can't see every band live.

Another favourite pass time of mine was delving through second hand LP (later..CD..) shops in search of a gem. Then going home, unwrapping the treasures and admiring the LP art, as well as reading the liner notes.

Am I being too sentimental ? Perhaps, but while I acknowledge the huge wealth of music currently available today, I also think a certain apathy abounds. These days you download what you happen to like. That's obvious, but when you bought an album you got the whole deal. In this way, you were exposed to other tracks by the artist that you may like, but might have missed under today's conditions.

Personally, I span both eras. I regularly listen to my LP's and CD's on seperates...remember these..?;) I also download some music onto my phone for when I am on the move.

Yes, you have to move with the technological times, but IMO there is a LOT to be said for actually living through a musical era. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Well millions of people had to live in 70s and some of them got on alright. I'd willingly trade a few years of my life now (well 4 or 5 perhaps) to have been old enough to catch Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, Horslips, The Rats etc in their prime.

I did see U2 a couple of times before they became "mega" though, every era has its compensations ;)

Rigsby wrote: »
    There is no doubt that things have never been better as far as musical choice is concerned. However, I agree with the point made about "living it". IMO music is meant to be experienced in a live setting, where vibes feed back and forth between audience and musician alike.
    I certainly wouldn't say that music is meant to be experienced in a live setting. Live music and recorded music are two different musical ballparks. Some artists are better in a live setting than on record, while other artists fail to translate great records into great live shows. Also keep in mind that not all musical artists play live shows.

For me the album is an artist's definite statement. It's what they're remembered for decades down the line.
    Well millions of people had to live in 70s and some of them got on alright. I'd willingly trade a few years of my life now (well 4 or 5 perhaps) to have been old enough to catch Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, Horslips, The Rats etc in their prime.

I did see U2 a couple of times before they became "mega" though, every era has its compensations ;)
    This is really depressing.

Rigsby wrote: »

For me, the thrill was seeing a favourite band live and perhaps buying an LP or CD (if available) on the way out of the gig/concert as a memento. Granted, you can't see every band live.

Another favourite pass time of mine was delving through second hand LP (later..CD..) shops in search of a gem. Then going home, unwrapping the treasures and admiring the LP art, as well as reading the liner notes.

Am I being too sentimental ? Perhaps, but while I acknowledge the huge wealth of music currently available today, I also think a certain apathy abounds. These days you download what you happen to like. That's obvious, but when you bought an album you got the whole deal. In this way, you were exposed to other tracks by the artist that you may like, but might have missed under today's conditions.

Personally, I span both eras. I regularly listen to my LP's and CD's on seperates...remember these..?;) I also download some music onto my phone for when I am on the move.

Yes, you have to move with the technological times, but IMO there is a LOT to be said for actually living through a musical era. :)

I agree with you in all of that one of my very first threads on here was me expressing my disappointment in the death of music scenes and cultures such as punks,goths,skinheads.metalheads ect which all seem to be a dying bread these days. But I do think we dont have it that bad in this day and age and we should be more appreciative of what we have available to us.

This is really depressing.

Tell me about it! Having to live through all that energy and vitality of punk music and the new wave that followed, it was sooo depressing. Thank fck for the quaaludes.....maaan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

But I do think we dont have it that bad in this day and age and we should be more appreciative of what we have available to us.

So you'd be happy to to say there's music out by new artists today you'll still listen to in 20/30 years time?

So you'd be happy to to say there's music out by new artists today you'll still listen to in 20/30 years time?

No music today is horsecrap, im talking about the ability we have to explore all the music from the past with the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

I think music today is missing something. Singers / bands are becoming bigger with just social media.. Style over substance maybe?!?
    I've been lucky enough to see the Kings of Leon in the TBMC for their youth and young manhood tour..there was just a sense of pure excitement. 300 odd people all there for the music, not photos or videos on their phones. Musicians had to work harder and have actual talent. Nowadays so many good bands just fly under the radar, frightened rabbit and jagwar ma for example.. Maybe that's a good thing..

No music today is horsecrap, im talking about the ability we have to explore all the music from the past with the internet.

Horsecrap is right! Was worried you going to go on about some quality modern music. Of which there's so little

But is getting music from the Internet so great? For me no. It's nice to hear some stuff you wouldn't otherwise hear. But can't come close to buying an LP, bringing it home, listening to it first time thinking that's OK. Then listening to it some more times until you either love it or hate it.

Downloaded music is so throwaway and there's so much of it. You're not sure on first listen then delete and move on. Meh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'll never be convinced the internet has been bad for music. Personally I've discovered so much music, so many obscure bands, been to so many gigs, listened to genres that I'd never have known about if it wasn't for the internet. Just because other people treat music as disposable doesn't affect me in the slightest. I take music very seriously and am glad to have the internet make it so much easier to indulge that. I love nothing more than getting a new album and sitting back and enjoying it.

I'd also go against the opinion that modern music is shíte, though you do have to do some searching to find the gems.

I say this as I listen to the new album by If These Trees Could Talk, my word it is a cracker :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Tell me about it! Having to live through all that energy and vitality of punk music and the new wave that followed, it was sooo depressing. Thank fck for the quaaludes.....maaan!
    Punk was the kick up the arse that the 70s needed.

I also really miss the days of being able to go into Tower Records and browsing through vinyl and...

Oh wait...

Yeah of course the punks shook the whole thing up, but you can get too mired up in all that Year Zero mythology bollocks. The Clash were big Who and Faces fans (half mods if you want to be accurate about it), John Lydon was a massive Rory Gallagher fan, the Pistols even played a gig with him, Billy Bragg was a bigger fan of Simon and Garfunkel than he was of the Clash. The Clash themselves became as self-indulgent as some of the 70s bands they were initially heaping scorn upon (and gloriously so I would add). Punk was as much a continuation of the rock and roll tradition as a breakaway from it. It was the energy and DIY aspect that set it apart.

I'll never be convinced the internet has been bad for music. Personally I've discovered so much music, so many obscure bands, been to so many gigs, listened to genres that I'd never have known about if it wasn't for the internet. Just because other people treat music as disposable doesn't affect me in the slightest. I take music very seriously and am glad to have the internet make it so much easier to indulge that. I love nothing more than getting a new album and sitting back and enjoying it.

I'd also go against the opinion that modern music is shíte, though you do have to do some searching to find the gems.

I say this as I listen to the new album by If These Trees Could Talk, my word it is a cracker :)

The Internet suits genius such as Public Broadcasting Services perfect and vice versa. They (and the like of Beatport artists) couldn't exist without each other. And the Internet does act as a great library for all kinds of everything (!) but still. Nothing as tangible as a 12 inch in your hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

It always cracks me up when people say 'music today is crap'. My answer to that always is 'you're not looking hard enough' - there is SO much music out there and accessible to us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

leakyboots wrote: »
    It always cracks me up when people say 'music today is crap'. My answer to that always is 'you're not looking hard enough' - there is SO much music out there and accessible to us today.

Most music at any time is crap, but when you look back at say the 70's and say "jesus the 70's was a great decade for music" it's because your looking at the maybe 50 great albums that came out in that decade long stretch - you conveniently ignore the 100's or 1000's of crappy ones. At any given time in any given decade the proportion of magic to rubbish stays roughly similar.
    There is some fantastic music out today, even in the charts ffs, it doesn't have to all be obscure no one's ever heard of them bands.
    Couldn't agree more about the availability too - even the most obscure shít you could never have gotten your hands on you can now access on your phone in minutes.
    Music has never been in better health!

It's ridiculous - I mean just open up Spotify, put an artist on you like and then go to their 'radio' - Spotify throws songs by similar artists.

Or the 'Discover Weekly' thing they've introduced recently - based on what you listen to they cherrypick 30 songs that it reckons you'd like... in my experience it's invariably on the money. Spotify is almost spoonfeeding you what you should to listen to

Mixcloud - you like 'balearic'? Or want to know if you'll like it? Throw it into the search engine and away you go, mountains of podcasts.

I've about 4-5 podcasts I listen to every week across a variety of genres and some live sets by DJs that play everything across the board and it keeps me both up-to-date with what's coming out soon and I'm always stumbling across artists I've never come across from yesteryear.

There's one 3 hour show I listen to religiously on a Monday and it can me a few days to get through it... 'cos I'll go look up the artist who just had the song on I liked and I'm away off down a Spotify black hole for hours... love it when that happens. I'm in one right now with a Femi Kuti remix album :)

I do disagree with you Mr Square Pants about the 'most music at any time is crap'. For the 100s or 1000s of crappy ones, there's the same amount of undiscovered or little known gold. A lot of it is only emerging now though, some record labels are putting together unbelievable compilations of things like Caribbean Island Electro Disco Boogie from the late 70s

There is an awful lot of crap to wade through though, especially nowadays when ever prick with a laptop can do it relatively easy, but once you find a solid source like a radio show (I happened upon one from Australia on TuneIn randomly that makes for great Saturday morning listneing) stick with 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Yes we have great access to any music we want but it would be great to experience the time it was out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

i was born and I will die in between on an endless night ..jai na regreto's ..

Advertisement