Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was born in the wrong era for music....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

PucaMama wrote: »
    Yes we have great access to any music we want but it would be great to experience the time it was out first.
    You have great access to any current music you want. You can experience it the first time it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

You have great access to any current music you want. You can experience it the first time it's out.

Im pretty sure most people would want to pass on the current music scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I think I would have liked to be part of the Northern Soul scene. It's not my favourite kind of music but I just love how they danced.

I think when people say that, they just mean that they would have fitted in better with what was popular at that time rather than the current.

It would be nice if the music you loved was the mainstream. It can be a bit annoying if you are out in certain places with friends or work or something and you don't like the music. I know you can find different places that suit you anyway but it's not the same as being part of the scene, the music, fashion, culture, dance etc as it is happening.

tomofson wrote: »
    Im pretty sure most people would want to pass on the current music scene
    Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

tomofson wrote: »
    Im pretty sure some people would want to pass on the current music scene

FTFY

If they do then it's their loss. There's loads of great music coming out and it's easier than ever to discover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭thesultan

We are now saturated by chipmunk pop and autotuning. There was always bands out their before that the public loved. Most of the youth of the today don't even know the Arctic Monkeys. Name a band under forty that could fill Slane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Jeez, the "there's no good music today" argument is just daft. There's more good music coming out today than I've had hot dinners.

You don't get the mega, household names or scenes any more because music isn't disseminated in the same way. I could pick up my guitar right now and a half hour later ye could be listening to a recording of it.

People also have funny ideas about music. I basically got shot down in the "weirdest song" thread because someone effectively said the stuff was "too obscure". I'm sorry, I live in a pokey little village in Ireland and have physical copies of those albums that come from all over the world, different record labels, different artist, etc., it can't be that obscure. And even if something is obscure, what does it matter? Good music (to your ears) is good music.

I've about 3,000 albums, which would be considered a reasonably sizeable collection - but yet it's only a tiny fraction pf the recorded music out there. Turn off your radios and open your ears and minds.

Yeah, people who judge music by what's in the charts or on the radio are complete morons.

Judging the entire spectrum of today's music by what's in the charts is like judging all of humanity by the rich and famous.

There's also an irony in the OP stating "we have the internet, there's no such thing as born in the wrong era, it's all there!" and then saying "there's no good music today".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

no way, there's something amazing about live music, and you'e not necessarily gonna get that if the music you're passionate about is from a bygone era. I'm lucky in a sense that a lot of my favourite bands went down the reform and cash in route, but there's still loads I haven't and won't ever get to see.

The availability of music today is insane and amazing, but occasionally I yearn for simpler times, buying tapes, no skipping songs, staying up late to catch headbangers ball/superrock on mtv, subscribing to fanzines( Having to send feckin postal orders n all to get them!) spending whole saturdays trawling through music shops, and waiting months for supposedly obscure releases to arrive in to shops when ordered :D

• Advertisement

Oooh, the buzz when the record fair came to town was something else, especially when you wandered in and they not only had a stack of stuff you were looking for, but you also came out with a stack you weren't!

The buzz of "the chase" was great too and I think it's something that differentiates people who are passionate about music to those that merely like it; people passionate about it would spend all their free time and money going after a record they wanted or to a gig - and that was part of the thrill. Trawling through "thank you" lists for names of bands you've never heard, going to a gig not to see a specific band, but just because you needed to see to a gig.

Sure it's great having access to so much music (although I despair for folk who only use Youtube or listen on Apple earbuds - the sound quality that some people are okay with is absolutely shocking) these days, but ou really can't beat the thrill of the old days of record shopping and getting right down the front at a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

thesultan wrote: »
    We are now saturated by chipmunk pop and autotuning. There was always bands out their before that the public loved. Most of the youth of the today don't even know the Arctic Monkeys. Name a band under forty that could fill Slane.

That's just not true.

LunarSea wrote: »
    Sure it's great having access to so much music (although I despair for folk who only use Youtube or listen on Apple earbuds - the sound quality that some people are okay with is absolutely shocking) these days.
    Some of the personal cassette players that I had as a kid in the 90's sounded fairly awful. Also the sound quality you'd get when taping songs off the radio was a lot worse than the sound quality you'd get on Youtube.
    LunarSea wrote: »
    but ou really can't beat the thrill of the old days of record shopping and getting right down the front at a gig.
    How does this differ from going record shopping and getting right down at the front of a gig today?

Some of the personal cassette players that I had as a kid in the 90's sounded fairly awful. Also the sound quality you'd get when taping songs off the radio was a lot worse than the sound quality you'd get on Youtube.

How does this differ from going record shopping and getting right down at the front of a gig today?

1. I view Youtube like listening to the radio (way back when). It's grand but can be pretty bad. The iPod ear buds - they're just awful (not to mention the cult of Apple and Beats when you have brands like Senneheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Grado, etc).

I had (still have!) a collection of terrible sounding cassettes because that's what the prevalent technology was at the time. Nowadays digital files are capable of better than CD quality playback and copying, but yet people still chose to listen to low quality files.

2 Getting your hands on a record back then meant it could be the first time you hear something fully. You could also be waiting for it for months on end and with significant effort to track it down. Getting to the front of gig today will mean there's a sea of smartphones getting flown around you, people are more concerned with recording it than living in the moment (I'd mostly attend jazz and metal gigs so it's not as bad as other genres).

Advertisement