Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which HDip in Education

Options
  • 05-06-2016 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi All,
    I would really appreciate some advice. I have become hugely interested in teaching after completing my PhD. I got accepted into HDip in Further Ed in NCI last Sept but as a I obtained honours degree in Chemistry in 2001, teaching Council stated I eligible to register for sector. I gave up the place at NCI but could not get teaching hours. I went to a university and taught chemistry part-time to get teaching experience and this was enjoyable in the last months. I was accepted into HDip in Third Level in DIT and am due to start in September 2016. In third level unlike FE and second level there is no requirement for HDip. I am wondering if doing HDip in Further Ed or MEd for second level would be wiser option as teaching council registration depends on these. I know jobs are rare etc but I am trying to give myself the best chance to gain employment on a part time basis initially. I am attracted to Further Ed sector as a result or lecturing as I have a job currently where I could go part time. I also will undertake Trinity Tesol so I can teach English thus further supporting developing my teaching skills. Which teaching qualification is a better choice for working in Ireland or abroad? Any thoughts to share on the matter I would appreciate it. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

To be a qualified second level teacher in Ireland, your ONLY option is the Professional Masters in Education or the PME as it is know these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

TheBody wrote: »
    To be a qualified second level teacher in Ireland, your ONLY option is the Professional Masters in Education or the PME as it is know these days.

Does that mean that the PGCE from the UK is no longer accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

cmssjone wrote: »
    Does that mean that the PGCE from the UK is no longer accepted?

I was referring to the Irish system. The equivalent qualification from the UK is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

TheBody wrote: »
    I was referring to the Irish system. The equivalent qualification from the UK is fine.

Not sure if that is correct as you now need 90 master's credits not 60 level 8 credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Not sure if that is correct as you now need 90 master's credits not 60 level 8 credits.

It's 120 credits at level 9 now afaik. I agree though that UK qualifications will not be as easy to use here anymore. They have to recognise EU qualifications but can ask for shortfalls to be addressed - and the shortfalls are now the equivalent to a year of full time university instead of just History of Irish Education content.

• Advertisement
Advertisement