Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a book - Economics for residential property

• 05-06-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Howdy,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent book in the field of economics of residential property? I'm looking to improve my understanding beyond just what I read in the papers. Doesn't necessarily have to deal with the Irish context though that would be a useful point of reference. I've studied a far bit of economics over the years in one form or another so I'd be pretty comfortable with a university text book.

Suggestions appreciated

Gracias

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I can't think of any books at the moment, but it might be worth teasing out what you're interested in. What kinda stuff are you reading in the newspapers that you're interested in? House prices in general? Housing policy? The recent house price bubble? The LTV limits? etc....

As an example, here's a piece by Ronan Lyons, giving a broad overview of the housing market in Ireland. As an aside, the book referenced in the title of the paper is quite good, though it's not about housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Thanks for the link

Regarding what I'm trying to get an understanding of - right now, I'm looking to gain a better understanding of why the UK and Irish housing/rental markets are so incredibly dysfunctional. The chapter on housing in this here book gives a decent overview of some of the main factors that have got the UK in to its current situation. I'd be looking for something along similar lines with particular reference to who benefits from the status quo.

I'd also be very interested to look into any studies that examine the effects of inward migration on housing/rent that are not tinged with ideological bias - left or right (too tall an order!??)

Books, text books, journal articles, videos - any suggestions appreciated - cheers

Advertisement